Author Topic: Edelbrock CH4B compared to a Holley Street Dominator  (Read 6455 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Edelbrock CH4B compared to a Holley Street Dominator
« on: July 21, 2008 - 12:20:06 AM »
I plan on building a nice 440 or stroker 440 but not so wild that it cannot have air conditioning attached to it. Pump premium engine is what I am after with either a worked set of iron heads or cheap aluminums. I want to know how the CH4B compares to the Street Dominator which I had planned to use. There is one for sale and if they are comparable in power output for what I am doing then I will buy it. Please reply with your experiences, thanksa ton,

Brett
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
Re: Edelbrock CH4B compared to a Holley Street Dominator
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008 - 01:39:53 AM »
Brett,

Mopar Muscle did a manifold comparo a few years back comparing flow numbers on several BB manifolds, including a DP4B, which is the lo-deck version of the CH4B.  Here's a link to the article:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0701_mopar_intake_manifold/index.html

I have a CH4B that came with my car and am looking at a build similar to yours, so the test results were of interest to me.  As you can see, the DP4B was very comparable to more modern manifolds, just a couple of cfm beneath the Edelbrock Performer and quite a bit above the stock iron manifold.  They didn't test a Street Dominator intake, but the fact that it's a dual-plane, idle-6000 rpm leads me to think that it's going to have close to the same flow numbers, better than a CH4B, but not by much.  Bottom line, if I didn't already have one, I'd buy the one for sale.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline firefighter3931

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008 - 01:44:17 AM »
They didn't test a Street Dominator intake, but the fact that it's a dual-plane, idle-6000 rpm leads me to think that it's going to have close to the same flow numbers, better than a CH4B, but not by much. 

Greg, the Street Dominator is a single plane manifold...not a dual plane.  ;)

I plan on building a nice 440 or stroker 440 but not so wild that it cannot have air conditioning attached to it. Pump premium engine is what I am after with either a worked set of iron heads or cheap aluminums. I want to know how the CH4B compares to the Street Dominator which I had planned to use. There is one for sale and if they are comparable in power output for what I am doing then I will buy it. Please reply with your experiences, thanksa ton,

Brett

Brett, a dual plane will restrict high end flow on a stroker. A low rise single plane is ideal for a stroker because the long stroke makes so much torque that you don't really need a DP manifold to boost it like you would on a 3.75 stroke 440.....and it will move enough air up top to keep the big dog happy ! Here's a build that fits your description to a "T"  :bananasmi

505/stealth heads/mild hydraulic cam :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43911.0.html

A few more that are just slightly hotter :

512/Eddy RPM heads/hydraulic cam :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,36197.0.html

496/MP 452 aluminum heads/Comp xs290s solid cam :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46587.0.html

All 3 engines are using a Street Dominator and make 600ftlbs of tq on pump gas.  :thumbsup:

Ron

Ps. Long time no talk !  :wave:
68 Charger RT street/strip Bruiser & 70 Charger RT 440-6pack the ultimate Cruiser

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008 - 01:59:04 AM »

Greg, the Street Dominator is a single plane manifold...not a dual plane.  ;)

Oops, my mistake.  I saw a pic of a low-rise intake and didn't look closely enough to see that it was, in fact, a single plane. 
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008 - 08:12:07 AM »
Thanks guys. I had a feeling the SD was the way to go and so I will wait. I love checking out and comparing your engine packages Ron. Car should get done with final paint some time before Christmas so I need to get busy on a motor build soon. I will be going ahead with a fresh 440 block build of some sort soon and hope to pick your brain again  :bigsmile: I still check in at Moparnuts but dont post a bunch.

Brett
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline firefighter3931

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008 - 12:08:25 PM »
Oops, my mistake.  I saw a pic of a low-rise intake and didn't look closely enough to see that it was, in fact, a single plane. 

No worries Greg....it's all good.  ;)

The SD sits so low that most mistake it for a dual plane....but it's an awesome single plane, no doubt about it.  :thumbsup:

Ron
68 Charger RT street/strip Bruiser & 70 Charger RT 440-6pack the ultimate Cruiser

Offline firefighter3931

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008 - 12:12:42 PM »
Thanks guys. I had a feeling the SD was the way to go and so I will wait. I love checking out and comparing your engine packages Ron. Car should get done with final paint some time before Christmas so I need to get busy on a motor build soon. I will be going ahead with a fresh 440 block build of some sort soon and hope to pick your brain again  :bigsmile: I still check in at Moparnuts but dont post a bunch.

Brett

That's great Brett....looking forward to seeing your car finished. I know you've been patiently plugging away on it for a long time. Heck....i know the feeling.  :eek4:

Ron