need help.. no spark

Author Topic: need help.. no spark  (Read 4129 times)

Offline 73 challenger 440

Re: need help.. no spark
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008 - 12:07:51 AM »
thanks Bullitt99..

it's late but I cant sleep.. I wired it just like the bottom scan shows.. I disconnect the orange box, and bypassed the ballast.. no spark.. so I did the ohm test and I get a number 1 for a reading. thinking that cant be right, I checked my dads.. he has a blaster2 coil but it's a square one.. I get the same reading, now I know his is good.. maybe my meter isn't working? I dont know.. I tested the msd and that works..I dont know what else to do.... I hate to waste 50.00 on another coil.. it just dont seem right, it worked before the rswap over.. cant this be a bad distributer? is there a way to check it? I have a bad habit of buying parts only to find out later I didn't need it.. like the 70.00 for a distributer gear shaft.. :banghead:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008 - 12:18:41 AM »
1-ohms is mighty close to .85 ohms & since your Dads checks the same the difference must be in the meter.........Troubleshooting tips from Petronics   http://www.pertronix.com/support/tips/default.aspx#a1
Since I have installed the Ignitor™ the engine won’t start.
What can I check?
The first step in troubleshooting involves answering a few questions.

Do you have the correct kit for your application?
Did the Ignitor install without any modification?
Was the Ignitor installed according to the instructions?
Did the engine run prior to the installation of the Ignitor?
If you answered "NO" to any of the previous questions, go back and correct the condition before proceeding. If the answer to these questions is “YES”, then review some additional common solutions to a no start condition.

The position in which the Ignitor red wire is attached to is not supplying sufficient voltage.
The air gap between the module and magnet sleeve is too great.
The ground wire inside the distributor is not connected.
The wire connections are not tight.
The polarity is not correct.

Hey they also have instructions for using your MSD.....I'd get it working without 1st for simplicity
http://www.pertronix.com/support/tips/default.aspx#a6
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008 - 12:42:04 AM »
I have the Digital-6 plus and I used none of the old parts but the distributor and the MSD blaster II coil the car already had. The ballast and chrysler ECU were removed. I just followed the directions that came in the box and hooked up 5 wires. 2 wires to the coil, + and - power to power the box itself and the switched ignition wire (The one that gets power when the key is on that went to the ballast)  I cut the original connector from the distributor and just put spade connectors on to hook to the MSD.

Don't know nothing about the Pentronics distributor so I can't help you there. 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008 - 12:47:16 AM »
Just a thought....do you have a tachometer connected?....if so disconnect, & you know the tach feed comes from the neg. side of the coil.
Screwed by Photobucket!

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008 - 12:49:35 AM »
my tach wire goe's into the msd box... I was looking at one of the links above and it shows there to attach the white wire, yet the other scan I posted says not to use it.. ok, I am ready to go out there and try hooking the white wire...

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008 - 01:33:10 AM »
well tried the white wire and still no go... I am going over this system again.. called pertronix yesterday, and there anwering machine  send to leave name and number :pullinghair:..

thanks for all the help, maybe it's me not understanding this... I update tomorrow..

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008 - 03:19:10 AM »
When all else fails, follow the directions.  :2thumbs:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008 - 03:24:35 PM »
I got a new coil today.. I have tried it everyway.. to the coil only...directly to the msd bypassing the  orange box and ballist... tried hooking it to the white wire.... ect ect.. I quess I have tried all the ways even by there multiple directions.. no go... the only way I am getting a nice fat blue spark ( lets not get excited yet) as you see it in the picture, then taking a test light and hitting the black distributer wire.. i have tried running a jumper to this wire, but for some reason when the key is turned to crank motor it wont spark, only when the key is on and I use the the jumper.. if that makes any sense..I am dying here... I think this could be s distributer problem.. still holding breath waiting for pertronix help line to call :rofl: so far this distributer swap cost me 425.00+
well here is a pic of the mess this the only way I get the spark as tested.. you will see 2 wires attached to a  yellow connector, that use to go on the negative side of the coil when I had my old distributer, and yup I tried re-hooking that back up..

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008 - 03:48:43 PM »
I just want to thank everyone here helping me, you guys have been fast and very helpful.. with out this forum I wouldn't of know what to check or what other ways to try.. it's very much appreciated.. I just need to take a break from it for a little bit and just try again... worst case possible buy another distributer..lol.. I got to laugh, if I dont I'll be pissed...

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008 - 05:18:40 PM »
If your distributor is a plug and play you don't need either the factory or the MSD box.  What kind of distributor did you have in there?

You just needed a parts stor distributor with the MSD box and some reworking of the advance mechanisms.

I am local to you somewhat I think If you get real stuck shoot me a PM and we can work it out i think.

Tom

Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008 - 05:24:15 PM »
Based on the instructions the way I read them use nothing, no box, no ballast resistor...all you would need is a coil & a 12V ignition circuit..... this is the beauty of the plug & play distributor just two wires to connect.

I wish someone with real experience with these products would chime in here.

You got it right Bullitt99, that is how the pertronix is wired.

Tom

Now you have 3 ignition systems in your car.  you need to remove the MSD and Factory stuff.  Well you can leave it in but disconnected, but I think that is what is confusing you. 
Tom

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008 - 10:37:57 PM »
Well since no one else has any feedback I'll tell you how I think you can test your distributor, although I have never done this I have read it in several places.... connect power to the distributors positive side, red in this case, get a DC light bulb & connect one wire to distributors negative side & ground the other wire... spin the distributor, the lamp should flash on & off.
Screwed by Photobucket!

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008 - 10:38:04 PM »
hello everyone....
I had to take a break from it...  you know when something isn't working right, you loose sleep thinking of it, all day long you re-think what you done.. I really appreciate every response I got on here.. I'm just no good understanding this kinda stuff....  I was about to just get another distributer like I had in there to start with... my Dad today had some time to check the wiring and the manual and did catch that there was a wire placed in the wrong location..  well the pos coil terminal wire goes into the red msd wire and that wire goes onto the red distributer wire, but I hooked that wire into the pos side of the coil as well,  once he unhooked it the car started the first crank and idled so nice :wow:.. it has never done that.. I haven't checked the timing yet.. but it so nice to hear it start... again everyone thank you so much for the help...

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008 - 10:45:36 PM »
Glad you got it going. :2thumbs:

Tom :swaying:
Tom

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2008 - 01:18:07 AM »