Reproduction Ebody consoles

Author Topic: Reproduction Ebody consoles  (Read 7685 times)

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
Re: Reproduction Ebody consoles
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008 - 10:13:36 PM »
Looks very nice to me.
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008 - 10:45:25 PM »
I'd be really tempted to drop that $$ on the later console once I get rid of my '70.  Looks excellent.  500Stroker, please let us know how it turns out.   :2thumbs:

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008 - 12:30:04 AM »
I have to pull the old out to compare the two and see how it fits before I tell you what I think.   
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008 - 12:57:01 AM by 500Stroker »

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008 - 05:49:38 AM »
I have to pull the old out to compare the two and see how it fits before I tell you what I think.   I don't remember two screws being in the side of my original.

:clueless: :clueless: could be to keep the lip from cracking or bending up  :dunno: :dunno:

A little black paint will cover them up.

Looks like I was wrong  :banghead: they belong on the side... :walkaway:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008 - 06:15:10 PM by thedodgeboys »
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008 - 08:51:57 AM »
Those 2 side screws are definately there on my original and they didn't help a bit from preventing a crack. Anyway, from the pics, it looks like a super reprodution even the grain looks right on. Too bad they didn't include the door's cable though.  :thumbsup:
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008 - 10:50:01 AM »
I'll get side by side pix once I pull the old one out this weekend.

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008 - 11:03:52 AM »
I bought just the console door for my original 71 console and the grain looks pretty darn close to dead on to me.  Mine has the screws on the side also, I know one is supposed to hold the little strap for the seat belt.

Offline OzCuda

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008 - 04:46:59 AM »
I bit the bullet and bought one as my chance of finding a good one in Australia is pretty low - hoping for good things as my cracked console was pretty obvious.
'70 Barracuda

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008 - 07:09:09 AM »
 :popcorn: interesting to findout what people think when they get their fitted up :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline nqkjw

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008 - 09:29:16 AM »
[quote author=bb71challenger link=topic=47529.msg483559 :roflsmiley:. For the longest time I thought I was just missing the ashtray in my 'Cuda only to find out that the hole could not be plugged up with anything except seatbelts? Its just an ugly hole that is not even finished out right, wasn't very well planned out imo.
[/quote]

You're kidding!!!!
Up until reading this that's what I've thought too!!!Missing ashtray. :faint:
So what does everyone do to "dress up" this unsightly hole on a 70 console?My console is perfect so I don't want to discard it.
Actually before reading this thread I wasn't even aware there was a difference from 70 to 71-74 :-[
Burnouts are cool but Traction is the Action

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008 - 09:34:47 AM »
This exactly what it was designed and used for.  Holding the buckles that go across your lap when not in use. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline tman

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008 - 07:09:24 AM »
500Stroker

What's the verdict? 

Offline OzCuda

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008 - 08:53:16 AM »
Mine arrived today damaged unfortunately so now have to try and resolve this.  Wasn't packed very well for the long trip to Australia and not as if I can just run it back to the store.  My opinon of the console - a reasonably good copy but not quite factory (as with any reproduction item).  Some overlap issues (base is a fraction wider than the top so protrudes a little bit but not to say that this can't be tweaked by unscrewing the pieces and trying to realign them - and I am only talking about a millimetre or two protrusion).  The screws used in assembly are just hardware store countersunk so would need to be replaced for a more original look, especially the one on the buckle holder that is visible.  The plastic could be blacker if you know what I mean (is a little grey) and while everything appears to be correct (grain, shape etc) it suffers a little from being the result of a mould of an original.

Overall, shame mine was broken (why does this seem to happen quite a bit) and not quite NOS quality but with a little bit of fiddling it should look pretty close and certainly better than a broken 40 year old piece.  Haven't had a chance to compare it to the one I have as I only unpacked this tonight and the way they handle my damaged one will be important but generally I am pleased with it.
'70 Barracuda

Offline PlumCrazyRTSE

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008 - 07:42:54 PM »
I bought one of the 70 4-speed consoles from an eBay seller a few weeks ago but ended up returning it.  Here are my impressions:

The good:
I thought that the manufacturing quality of the console was very good.  I sat it right next to an original console and was very impressed with how closely it matched the original in terms of the construction, grain texture and shape.  If I remember correctly, the box said that it was manufactured in China but IMO they really did an excellent job duplicating the original design.

The bad:
Although I didn't buy it from Tony's Parts, the box said Tony's Parts on it, so I believe that it was probably drop shipped from there.  Anyhow, the packaging was terrible, as there was almost no protective cushioning at all.  As a result, the one I received showed significant scratches and a few small chips from the shipping process.  They only put a few pieces of newspaper inside the box as packing material and none on the top side where it was really needed.  The worst thing about the console however was the fact that the 4-speed cutout looked like a 5yr old had done it.  They obviously took an automatic console and modified it to be a 4-speed version.  In other words, I don’t believe that they manufacture both an automatic version and a separate 4-speed version.  They just hack the automatic up and call it a 4-speed.  In all seriousness, I could have done a much, much better job myself on the 4 speed cutout using a sawzall, it was that bad.

My recommendation is that if you are considering buying one of these, wait until you can see them at a show and can pick out one that isn’t scratched or chipped because if Tony’s packages all of them the same, the probability is very high that it will get damaged if you have one shipped.  Secondly, if you need a 4 speed version, buy the automatic and then get a 4-speed template and cut it yourself.  Whoever they have modifying these things from an automatic to a 4-speed is a frickin hack and you’ll end up paying an extra $20 just to have them ruin the console if you buy the 4-speed.   Hope this helps.
1970 Challenger R/T SE, 440 Six Pack, Super Track Pak, FC7 Plum Crazy Purple
1970 Challenger R/T SE, 440 Six Pack, Super Track Pak, FE5 Bright Red

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008 - 08:46:51 PM »
I haven't seen one of the repops in person yet,but something that I did notice about the 70 console is that it has 5 screw holes for the top plate and a 70 should have 4.Not a big deal because you can hide it once a 4 screw plate is mounted,but figured I would mention it anyway.I have 3 originals and not a one of them was perfect from the factory,the fit of the two halfs is just crappy.