Author Topic: should i repaint?  (Read 2208 times)

Offline plumcrazy704406

should i repaint?
« on: July 25, 2008 - 07:31:20 PM »
Curious to know! should I repaint my original paint car because of the graphics that are on it? I will let the mopar experts debate this.
thx
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: should i repaint?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008 - 07:37:15 PM »
If that is the low mileage drag car that was recently for sale it would make it hard to repaint if the graphics and original paint are in good shape. My personal opinion might differ because I dont own the car and its not my decision that risks damaging the cars history whatever it may be. My thought is that I prefer stock looking cars. It had no graphics on it when it was sold so that is how I would prefer it. Some people who really dig the drag racing history and love the nostalgia of it might tend to leave it alone. Too bad you cannot buff out the graphics and leave the original paint.......if you had a mind to.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008 - 07:39:55 PM »
NNNNOOOOOO!  Absolutely not!!   Original paint is so hard to find, and could be considered rare.  Has graphics but that is ok, just gives it a little flare.

:2cents: :2cents:That's my two cents anyway. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline asm74

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008 - 07:50:08 PM »

The graphics and original paint call out the race pedigree of this car, not to mention it's unique history.  I wouldn't touch it, save to have it protected with some clearcoat, maybe.  Yes the graphics date the car, and maybe some of them aren't very pretty by modern standards, but it's not a car you're going see ever again if you repaint it. 
73 Challenger

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008 - 01:56:35 AM »

What condition is your car in? If it's tired and paint is looking worse for wear, paint it. Rather paint it and have the body done than keep the original paint and risk getting rust problems being as it's 40 years old and never been touched. All depends if you like the colour, what the signs say and if you like them. If you don't paint it.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008 - 02:06:16 AM »
Curious to know! should I repaint my original paint car because of the graphics that are on it? I will let the mopar experts debate this.
thx

If the original paint is in good condition, I would not repaint it.  Original paint is unique after 3 decades even with the graphics from its heyday.  But this is your decision and just my opinion. 
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008 - 06:35:41 AM »
The graphics and original paint call out the race pedigree of this car, not to mention it's unique history.  I wouldn't touch it, save to have it protected with some clearcoat, maybe.  Yes the graphics date the car, and maybe some of them aren't very pretty by modern standards, but it's not a car you're going see ever again if you repaint it. 

:iagree:  I definately would not do it!!!!!  Your car reminds me of the "Gypsy" Challenger T/A race car, albeit not witht he funky graphics but it's a piece of history that you can't get back once it's sanded off.  If you really don't like the paint scheme, sell it to someone who will appreciate it then get another car so you can paint it what ever color you like.  That car is 1 of 1.  :grinyes:   

IMO, I would throw on a set of Cragar S/S or Keystone Klassic rims to give it a more period racer look!  :grinyes:

Does Hayward Dodge still exist?  They may want that car back for the showroom next to a new Challenger!  :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline moparmussel

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008 - 06:51:04 AM »
 :screwy:i would NOT repaint it! keep it as a piece of mopar history. repaint would be like taking an original movie car and pulling the motor to install a hemi!!
74 cuda,az car. built 383,727 manual shift,reverse pattern.8th cuda project,cant get enough!

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008 - 07:30:36 AM »
The race graphics are just about as original as anything on theat car. The racing history with these cars and all muscle cars is so special.
I think it has more value, sentimental and monitary, being like it is. Even if the body and paint was beat, I would suggest taking as many referance pictures and repainting it then putting the graphics back exactly like they were applied.
That is a special car to carry with it the history it does.

Or you could say screw it, it's your car. Paint it leopard print if you want. You have no obligation to make it this way or that.

$0.02

Tower Rat 95B

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008 - 07:44:22 AM »
 Your pic is way way too small to see,,,,,,,,,,  but I would keep the race graphics there way way cooler than a repaint..

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008 - 07:52:41 AM »
the paint is actually in very good condition, it's more of the graphics issue. I am not sure,after 30 + years, the graphics paint and gold leaf lettering hasn't eaten into the original paint. Some of the graphics edges have come off with wear and tear. Anybody have experience with this type removal? better photos here     http://mapleleafmopars.homestead.com/1970rt.html
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008 - 07:55:47 AM by plumcrazy704406 »
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008 - 08:22:38 AM »
Nice Challenger, I used Easy-Off oven cleaner to get off some of my painted lettering off on my race cars without hurting the original paint, but keep in mind that yours is very old and you could have a shadow from age.

I would leave it alone it looks pretty cool, now that said if your going to do a full restore then I would leave it off...

Hey,  you can always find another FC7 car...two is better than one... :2thumbs:

Tower Rat 95B

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008 - 08:38:50 AM »
Nice Challenger, I used Easy-Off oven cleaner to get off some of my painted lettering off on my race cars without hurting the original paint, but keep in mind that yours is very old and you could have a shadow from age.

I would leave it alone it looks pretty cool, now that said if your going to do a full restore then I would leave it off...

Hey,  you can always find another FC7 car...two is better than one... :2thumbs:

Yep I agree with  Vinb , EZoff will take the graphics off but almost a gaurentee that after 30 years the paint is fadeed and you will see the shadow of the lettering..........  Even if you could get those graphics off 100% perfect that Challenger is more awesome with them than with out inmop , very cool indeed  :ylsuper: :cooldancing:........

Offline asm74

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008 - 03:41:00 PM »
the paint is actually in very good condition, it's more of the graphics issue. I am not sure,after 30 + years, the graphics paint and gold leaf lettering hasn't eaten into the original paint. Some of the graphics edges have come off with wear and tear. Anybody have experience with this type removal? better photos here     http://mapleleafmopars.homestead.com/1970rt.html

I have to make an addendum after seeing that link.  Please note, NOTHING I say is meant to be personal, you asked for opinions, and that's all I'm giving you.

If you paid anywhere near 125K for that car, painting it would be like burning half the investment.  I know I sound like a purist-fascist but, I'm with Indiana Jones on this one:  "It belongs in a museum!!"  Ship it out to the Petersen in L.A.   Seeing that A.H.R.A. WORLD RECORD HOLDER "Showroom Stock" decal alone would be worth the price of admission.  Actually, I'm surprised Petersen or Leno did not buy it...

73 Challenger

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008 - 03:59:44 PM »
I definately think you would get more for it if you left it alone. I just looked at your for sale post. Some Leno type guy will come by and see it for what it is, a vintage car that has a winning history, and have to have it.
The Leno's of the world can get Plum Crazy original R/T's all day long but cars that have winning history and original paint and lettering are few and far between.