Author Topic: Heat-riser flapper  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Belgium Cuda

• Living in Belgium but beeing Swedish
Heat-riser flapper
« on: July 26, 2008 - 01:37:45 AM »
I have a terible resonance sound problem on my -69 GTX 440, totally rebuild balanced engine but according to previous owner he didn't took out
the heat-riser flapper valve on the right side and it might be stucked after powdercoating. Can that create my problem although I can locate
the resonance sound to the left side?  :banghead:
1970 Challenger Convertible - to become a Hemi tribute
1968 Charger R/T 500 cui stroker

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
Re: Heat-riser flapper
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008 - 03:44:38 AM »
Hell I once bought a Hemi Roadrunner cheap from a Dodge dealer cuz they thot it had a main bearing knocking. After signing the papers I got out a long screw driver and a BFH and knocked it off in their parking lot and did a burnout across their parking lot as I left ...LOL
So anything is possible, but it doesn't sound like it to me. A little more description on the sound and when it happens might help
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008 - 03:47:51 AM by OUTLAW »

Offline Robb

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008 - 03:48:24 AM »
Resonance usually occurs from a long tube vibrating, and given that the "flap" is actually inside the cast iron manifold itself ?   Unless your use of the term resonance is different than mine.

You should be able to move the flap by hand to see if it is stuck in the closed position.  you should be able to rotate the the big round counter weight with your bare hand and the coil spring will reset it back in place assuming the coil spring is intact and loaded on the pins right.    The weight should rotate a little more than a 1/4 turn If I remember right.   sometimes the stick and if you use some PB blaster it can free it up.   (obviously only do this when the car/engine is not hot   :rofl:  )

If you really wanted to, you can pull the exh manifold, remove the flap, and then weld up the axle pin holes.

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline Belgium Cuda

• Living in Belgium but beeing Swedish
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008 - 05:55:32 AM »
Well the terrible resonance sound has it's peaks at 1800-2000 rpm, coming from the left side. 440 is rebuild to factory -69 spec, new TTI
system all the way incl the mufflers. Checked exhaust hangers, rear axle and all I can think of. I am out of suggestions.
Badly balanced engine? Transmission?  :banghead:
1970 Challenger Convertible - to become a Hemi tribute
1968 Charger R/T 500 cui stroker

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008 - 03:18:11 PM »
will the valve rotate in the right manifold ? if not remove the manifold & cut the flap out , you do not need it with a warm weather driven car anyway , if the flap is sitting in the closed position it is a problem

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t