No oil pressure....again

Author Topic: No oil pressure....again  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Stacked440

No oil pressure....again
« on: July 26, 2008 - 07:22:30 PM »
Well...I went to mopars at the red barns today (awesome show, beautiful day)  Car drove nice there, car drove nice halfway back.  I was on US-131 had the cruise set at 70 and was just chugging along when I feel two mild jerks...so i start looking at my gauges and I see my oil pressure go from 70 to zip and the oil pressure light comes on.  The bulb in the oil pressure light was about half-lit when I turned the key off and rolled to the side of the road.  Got out, looked underneath, dry as the desert no leaks coming from anywhere.  I pop the hood, look around no signs of catastrophic engine failure, all looks well.  I got the car towed home and shoved it in the garage, I'm going to pull the distributor tomorrow and take a look at the oil pump drive shaft and if thats ok then I'll start pulling the oil pump and check it out.  I just changed the oil in it 2 days before and it's topped right off perfect and oil looks perfectly clean...any ideas gurus? :walkaway:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: No oil pressure....again
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008 - 10:56:34 PM »
was it a Melling pump ? , I only use melling , the bypass valve could be stuck open try tapping on the housing to see if it pops back

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008 - 12:11:15 AM »
No OP is a scary thing for sure. Had a gauge drop out before my eyes on the freeway years ago. And was knockin' 2 seconds later.  :crying:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008 - 12:20:59 AM »
Again? This has happened before? Did it happen the same way? I have had a bad oil filter also cause this issue, and I found this out after I pulled the distributor and the driveshaft, and pulled the oil filter looking for any blockage. That was when I found the filter media coming out of the can, and blocking the passage in the mounting pad on the pump. The pressure relief spring is also a pretty common problem, especially if the assembly was put together in a hurry. I have seen burrs on the spool valve hang it wide open.

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008 - 03:16:46 PM »
It's a high volume melling oil pump.  I'm just about to go out and start working on it...after some lunch. :popcorn:
-Kyle-

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008 - 05:32:47 PM »
If your engine didn't start knocking, maybe the sending unit to the gauge went bad?

Been there before.   :pullinghair:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008 - 06:06:41 PM »
Mechanical gauge :bigsmile: No sending unit :thumbsup:  Well, I just took the distributor out and both it and the shaft look like new, stuck a camera down into the distributor hole and looked to see if I lost a lifter but they were all fine.  Stuck the pre-oiler into the hole, started turning it, was up to 70 pounds of pressure right away ???  Put it all back together and fired it up, had 82 pounds of oil pressure at idle and it sounded dandy.  I have no idea what it could have been but just as a precautionary thing I put a new filter on it.  I'm both happy and weary at the same time, was kind of hoping I would find what the problem was.
-Kyle-

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008 - 06:18:14 PM »
.. It could have been the oil filter. Just out of curiousity, what make did you have on there(don't say Fram)?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008 - 06:18:50 PM »
You say that you are running a high volume oil pump.  It could have sucked the pan dry at freeway speeds.  It has since drained back into the pan.  Are you running a larger sump pan?  If not, you might want to install a pan with an extra couple of quarts of capacity.  Or, you could pull the high volume pump and replace it with a high pressure one.   :2thumbs:
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008 - 06:21:43 PM »
I've been told that a high volume pump can leave the system dry at the sump end.

Oops, I'm a litle late. What Oldschool said  :bigsmile:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008 - 06:24:06 PM »
Could have been that pesky releif valve, I’ve had more than my share of trouble with them.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008 - 07:03:18 PM »
For the oil pump to suck the pan dry at highway speeds, he would have to be turning in excess of 5,000 rpm at "highway speeds". This would mean gears of at least 4.88:1 or lower, and highway speeds in excess of 70 mph. The relief valve sounds like a more likely candidate for a mystery oil pressure loss, as it happened hot, and did not go away immediately upon bringing engine speed down. I would disassemble the valve, check for nicks and burrs, and clean it out. In the last few years, assembly quality has gone down a little, and some pumps get assembled with shavings in the relief valve passage- this can cause a sporadic loss of oil pressure, especially after a spike of high pressure (which would move the valve).

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008 - 09:36:20 PM »
Hmmm...well its not an oil pressure problem I found out tonight.  When I was driving I felt the 2 jerks and started checking the gauges and then pushed the clutch in to coast (thought it was my pesky rearend)  and the motor actually quit, but I was so fast turning the key once I saw the oil pressure light I couldn't tell if the motor had quit before I turned the key or after.  Whats happening I think...is we powder coated the gas filler neck tube, and since then the gas has actually started peeling off the powder coating and taking it into the tank.  What I think is happening is the screen on the pickup in the tank is getting caked with the powder coating and starving the bowls in the carb for fuel.  Was driving it tonight and was testing it out, and sure enough at 70 MPH it was fine...until I came to an incline, then it started to sputter and bog down, clutched it and had to feather the gas to keep it running, but after a few seconds of feathering the gas it came right back and ran like a top.  So...I have my work cut out for me :working:
-Kyle-

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008 - 11:03:52 PM »
Sounds like you nailed it yourself. Strange how some problems can seem like others.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008 - 09:45:13 AM »
Bogus... I guess powder coat isn't the Holy Grail for filler tubes after all.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!