Author Topic: Guests vs members  (Read 3583 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Guests vs members
« on: July 27, 2008 - 02:09:00 AM »
I'm up late and was just cruising around, then I noticed 90 guests and 15 members online . Ok, so I click on the link. It showed a lot of guests checking members profiles.

Maybe a members profile should be hidden to anyone that is a guest to help keep the fishing and scamming down...just a thought
A guest really shouldnt be able to look at any personal profile as far as I am concerned

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Re: Guests vs members
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008 - 02:10:43 AM »
I'm up late and was just cruising around, then I noticed 90 guests and 15 members online . Ok, so I click on the link. It showed a lot of guests checking members profiles.

Maybe a members profile should be hidden to anyone that is a guest to help keep the fishing and scamming down...just a thought
A guest really shouldnt be able to look at any personal profile as far as I am concerned

I agree. (Although they may just be looking to see if there are any members near them.)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008 - 02:11:50 AM »

Admin has settings for this in the forums admin area. They can allow or reject "Guests" from viewing members profiles. It should be set to "disabled" viewing of members profiles. My forum is set that way and I let members decide whether or not they show members their info, emails, websites, etc.

But, what do I know........................... :2cents:

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008 - 02:13:59 AM »
I agree. (Although they may just be looking to see if there are any members near them.)

Then they should join to see that

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008 - 02:14:29 AM »
I agree with Al,  I don't mind members viewing my profile at all.  Guests however, really don't have much right to view that information.  If they are that interested they should join the site.  
  Can anything be done about this??  
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008 - 02:17:30 AM »
HMMM , I make this post and now 49 guests instead of 90 :dunno:

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008 - 02:57:21 AM »

:iagree:    or at least let each member decide for his own profile...
*** Bart ***

Offline 69ChargerRT

• Administrator
  • Resident
  • Its the car, right? Chicks love the car. - Batman
    • Daisy - My 1969 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008 - 03:06:25 AM »
ok guests can no longer see profiles.

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008 - 03:29:29 AM »
Wonder what infromation a large number of guests would be collecting on members profiles on car site?  I mean I could see if we were one of those sites dedicated to overthrowing the govt. but a car site?  Very interesting observation Alan.   :clueless:
Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008 - 05:28:40 AM »

Don, it doesn't really matter what site they get you info on, these scum use it as a road. All roads lead somewhere, and in some cases these roads lead to Password Ave and Bank Details Lane. These guys get smarter by the week, sad but true. Luckily there are dedicated software developers out there at least keeping up with hackers and spam bot controllers. All I can say is, the less info you put, the better as although Admin can set it to disable guests viewing profiles, some still get in.

:wave:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008 - 07:34:02 AM »

Don, it doesn't really matter what site they get you info on, these scum use it as a road. All roads lead somewhere, and in some cases these roads lead to Password Ave and Bank Details Lane. These guys get smarter by the week, sad but true. Luckily there are dedicated software developers out there at least keeping up with hackers and spam bot controllers. All I can say is, the less info you put, the better as although Admin can set it to disable guests viewing profiles, some still get in.

:wave:

Good point Carl!   :2thumbs:

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008 - 08:11:27 AM »
Good point Carl!   :2thumbs:

Don

Don, they were reading your profile last night to.  Thanks Ross, It makes us feel a bit safer knowing they cant do this now. I also believe if a newbie wants to sell parts right off the bat , they should have to fill out the profile with location and sign on email name. Not have 2 seperate emails listed one in parts and one in profile. But maybe that's just me

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008 - 08:21:28 AM »
ok guests can no longer see profiles.

Thanks Ross and thanks to Al as well for spotting this.

You never know what dastardly deeds someone can accomplish with a relatively meaningless piece of information.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008 - 08:25:38 AM »
Funny you posted here Richard, I was checking again as you were actually reading this post, and also noticing Goody just signing in :2thumbs:

nivvy

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008 - 09:00:11 AM »
I always wondered why there ere so  many guests..... im with al on this one..........  :2thumbs: