Author Topic: Bubble window 'Cuda + Challenger 440? Hmmm...?  (Read 928 times)

Offline DavidWymore

Bubble window 'Cuda + Challenger 440? Hmmm...?
« on: July 28, 2008 - 12:37:20 AM »
This Cuda and This 440 are in my local yard.

The Cuda says it's a V8 but didn't check if it's a BB. What are the chances of putting the BB in the Cuda?

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Bubble window 'Cuda + Challenger 440? Hmmm...?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008 - 12:38:02 AM »
Looks like a cool find to me!    :bigsmile:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008 - 12:54:18 AM »
The early Barracudas have VERY narrow engine bays. Adding headers to a small block engine is very difficult with them. Adding a big block would require some cutting and welding I bet?

Remember the Hemi Under Glass? It would be easier to install the engine in the back.  :bigsmile:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008 - 01:01:12 AM »
The early Barracudas have VERY narrow engine bays. Adding headers to a small block engine is very difficult with them. Adding a big block would require some cutting and welding I bet?

Remember the Hemi Under Glass? It would be easier to install the engine in the back.  :bigsmile:

Tight fit in the bay; yes, but doable.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008 - 01:06:30 AM »

:iagree:  I looked at a '65 Valiant recently with a 273 in it and there wasn't much room in there even with a small block.  I suppose fitting a 440 in that Barracuda might be possible, but not without a LOT of work.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008 - 01:53:13 AM »
You can fit anything anywhere with a big enough hammer and a torch, but with all the cheap stroker kits and great heads available for small blocks and the ability to make as much power (and more) with less engine weight for the same $$$, who would want all the grief of trying to shoehorn a big block into an old 60's A body?  You've already got enough to do just upgrading the brakes so you don't rear end the first idiot with a new car with 4 wheel power disc brakes that cuts in front of you and decides to stop. Then there's the spindly little rear that has to be replaced and of course the restoration of the body and interior. Good luck with all that, cause it's a massive undertaking.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008 - 09:22:17 AM by 71chally416 »
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008 - 08:49:37 AM »
that engine is a 72 model year engine (H440) I cant tell if thats just an H or a HP behind the 440. It's probably out of a C body if thats not an HP stamping, if there is an HP stamping it's out of a Runner GTX or Charger.

Like others have said...thats a tight fit in that car. I'd stick to a small block with that car.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008 - 09:58:42 AM »
the 67 & newer A bodys have a much bigger engine compartment , I would move in that direction , it will be a much better swap

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008 - 10:39:06 AM »
the 67 & newer A bodys have a much bigger engine compartment , I would move in that direction , it will be a much better swap

:iagree:   Although a Hemi in a '69 is still a tight squeeze...   :working:    :roflsmiley:    :roflsmiley:    :bigsmile:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline DavidWymore

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008 - 11:17:39 AM »
I just got a notice this thread was moved...but I think this is where I posted it? But then again, it's cuda, so is it offtopic?

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008 - 11:56:20 AM »
I just got a notice this thread was moved...but I think this is where I posted it? But then again, it's cuda, so is it offtopic?

I moved it into this section because this site is mostly "E" bod stuff.  I am an "A" body owner, but they let me hang out here, so I have some history here.  Generally, the "Cudas and Challengers Galore" section is for the "E" bod Cudas.  No biggie--it could go either way....    :2thumbs: 
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline DavidWymore

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008 - 12:16:35 PM »
Roger that. I figured it was kinda and uspoken rule or something.