MUST FIX RUST...OR BUST!! Base 318 to Rallye car.

Author Topic: MUST FIX RUST...OR BUST!! Base 318 to Rallye car.  (Read 4195 times)

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
MUST FIX RUST...OR BUST!! Base 318 to Rallye car.
« on: July 28, 2008 - 09:50:47 PM »
Hey guys - some incredible examples of quality work here. Much inspiration!

I came in late here - but here's a bit of a catch-up on what's transpired so far with my build. I wanted to get it on here as I'm close to paint and wanted to ask for input on painting base/clear at home. As well , I'll have LOTS of questions  :clueless: putting 'er back together -especially the interior, which I plan to do myself. Thanks! BTW - it's a BASIC base-model '74 - 318. I want to put 'er back 98% stock, with just a few upgrades and line cleanups along the way.

JUST REMEMBER - THEY RUST WAY MORE UP HERE!!! I could only wish to start with something as clean as some of the yours!!

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
Re: MUST FIX RUST...OR BUST!! Base 318 to Rallye car.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008 - 10:07:57 PM »
Post 2 - The rust...

The worst rust was in the usual places: the lower quarters and of course in behind, the drop-offs and inner wells. As well, the drivers floor pan and front fenders. At first I had a fibreglass fender for the left, but after talking to guys in the mopar club they talked me into fixing the fender - whatever it took. Of course, this was JUST before metal fenders where available! On the good side? The trunk and floors, as well as the frame/unibody where all solid.

Do we just like a challenge(r)?? - or are we suckers for punishment??..somethimes I'm not sure!!

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008 - 10:19:55 PM »
Post 3 - FAST FORWARD through the filler work to stripping and priming:

Many layers (and pounds!) of paint and primer came off. It was originally white, then red, then white again...

YIKES!!! That was a lot of work....how about a break....some mechanical work always clears the mind...

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008 - 10:45:58 PM »
POST 4 - The mill. It's still the basic 318, just bored .030 over, nice slugs, purple cam, edelbrock manny and a Thermoquad carb. I rebiult everything myself, only farming out the block check and boil. I learned here to DOUBLE check other peoples work - even if it's "THE BEST" shop in town. When I got my block back I was turning it on the stand and heard a clunking - a frost plug left in the block.... As well (you veterans will find this funny), although I had the cam bearings replaced, I wasn't advised you need to replace the distributor bushing. Believe it or not, this step is also LEFT OUT of the famous book: "Rebuild Your Small Block Mopar". After much talk and research, I figured it out, ordered the remove/installer tools and pressed in the new one. Noobies. :smilielol:

Phew - that felt better !! That pretty much takes me to today (July 08) - now it's back to block sanding, another coat of primer, then final sanding.

My hope is to paint it in and out in the next few weeks. I have August off (yee-ha), so I should be able to do it. That leaves the re-assembly for this winter, which is the fun and satisfing part (I think!). I've already bought 99% of what I need during the last Year One sale. Everything from rad hose clamps & exhaust kit to seat covers and headliner are sitting in boxes waiitng to be sprung! Hopefully I can lean on some of you vets during the re-assembly - with any luck it might just turn out like some others here!

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008 - 07:21:22 AM »
it looks good very nice looking 318 did you run the motor on that stand? and your body work looks good also. :woo:

Keep us posted as you add or change stuff.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008 - 09:51:03 AM »
 :wow: :clapping:   VERY NICE!!   Keep it up,Looking great!!!  Is it gonna' be white again?  Engine looks way better,I just did mine.Made all the differernce. There's lot's of help around here.Couldn't have done it without CC.c.  Keep us updated...  August will be a big month!  GOOD LUCK MAN!!   :ylsuper: :woo:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008 - 11:32:41 PM »
Thanks guys!! Yep - It's going white again. As are the bumpers. Gonna do the hood stripe & Rallye strobe stripes. Painting roof white, not sure if I'll put the black Vinyl back on. Thoughts??

I built the engine test stand after seeing some on-line. I haven't started it yet, but think it'll save a lot of time and hassle getting it running and checking for leaks/tuning it on the stand vs. in the car!

Yes, August will be huge: Paint & engine running!
Cheers.

Offline 70shaker6pk

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008 - 02:14:26 PM »
That's some nice work!!  Looking Great!   You will have a very nice car when finished,, Keep those pic's coming!!!   Thanks.:2thumbs:
'JS23V0B'  1970 Challenger R/T N96 440 Six Pack

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008 - 02:48:49 PM »
looks like you made some serious progress there  :thumbsup:  keep up the good work ,lookin just fine to me  :woohoo:  :burnout:
*** Bart ***

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008 - 06:15:57 PM »
It's really starting to come together!  :2thumbs:
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008 - 06:16:24 PM »
Great progress so far!!! :2thumbs:  Great choice on the valve covers, too! :biggrin:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Husker Cuda

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008 - 07:21:37 PM »
Stick with it E-tek!  Looks like your on your way to having one bad MOPAR!  The nice thing about having a 74 is nobody really cares if it's not bone stock, do what you want with it make it your own.  By the way I like vinyl tops, I vote to put it back on! :cheers:
1974 'Cuda 512 stroker 650HP Indy heads, Hemi 4 speed, pistol grip - restored to new.
1970 GTX 440/727 Y4 Gold w/ black interior
1969 Camaro SS 396 4-speed X22
1970 Chevelle SS 396 - 375HP M22 4 speed

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008 - 12:53:53 AM »
I wasn't overly fond of vinyl tops, but that's partly due to seeing them 10+ years old (= crappy). I also like an entire one-color car. BUT, I do want to get it close to original and a new top probably looks mucho bettero!

Any opinions on the body-coloured bumpers (white)??

Oh and one more question - the grill and rear panel where a gloss black. WOuld that have been stock?? I see a lot of Argent in those places. How to tell what is/was stock?

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008 - 08:32:40 AM »
Car is looking great!  :2thumbs:

Remember if you're gonna go vinyl, leave those chrome rivet studs on, if not you can grinf them off and paint it....

someone may be able to photoshop a car with and without the vinyl top, then you can see it!  :bigsmile:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008 - 09:11:14 AM »
 :wow: Starting to look really good. Nice job!!! :2thumbs:
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!