Author Topic: Carb tuning question...Holley gurus  (Read 881 times)

Offline dwbiggs

Carb tuning question...Holley gurus
« on: July 29, 2008 - 09:03:06 AM »
See build below....OK....now I have a Holley 80508 I think (3310 with bells and whistles).  Everyone says that it is too small for my motor but I put it in with stock jets, set the idle, and it has worked great.  The only thing I changed has been the secondary spring.  Its seems that when I got on it, it bellowed gray smoke out the back.  I had the silver spring installed.  I then replaced it with the brown spring and the smoke went away.  This it the second stiffest spring in the box...does this seem right that this would be the correct spring?  I read in the specs that as the cubic inches go up that the opening rpm will come down but I think with the brown and black spring the secondaries never fully open.  It would seem to me that if the carb is considered small in the first place that it would require a lighter spring?

1974 Challenger Rallye - 440+.040, 0 decked, 10.5:1, Ross Pistons, Hughes 3844 cam (238/244, .536/.540), Eddy RPM manifold, Eddy aluminum heads, Holley 750, TTI headers, .96" T-bars, IAS shocks, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 3/4" rear sway bar, XHD 6 leaf springs, Firm Feel stage 2 steering box.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Carb tuning question...Holley gurus
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008 - 11:42:53 AM »
pull off the front bowl & metering block & see if it wet inside the powervalve cavity if it is just replace the gasket , make sure the metering plate is tight in the rear as well , it sounds more like an internal fuel leak to me

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t