Author Topic: I just bought a Cuda off ebay(update)  (Read 3544 times)

Offline leithal

Re: I just bought a Cuda off ebay
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008 - 11:35:55 AM »
Moparal, I asked for opinions and I appreciate everyones thoughts and suggestions.  Including yours.  I  don't think your putting down my purchase at all.  I spoke with the seller before I purchased the car about extra photos and one of those he sent included a dash vin that matched.  He does not have a title and yes that worries me.  I have always owned classic cars and have always bought one with a title, mainly because I'm in MO and it is required.  So, this whole thing is freaking me out.  The reason I went with it anyway is because it seems to be a decent price for its condition and I have spoke with a title company regarding the issue.  They do a back ground check on the VIN and clear and title the car for $350.  So, I am working with them now to get this done. 
I have seen a few barracuda/challlengers from my area and they resemble swiss cheese more than they do a car.  This one to me seems fairly solid.  I do expect to find damage, especially at the price and the fact that the car is 35 years old.  Not many car make it that long without some type of collision.  thank you guys again for all of your replies to my questions.  This is a wonderful community of individuals who share the same passion.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008 - 12:46:12 PM »
I hear what Al is saying, but I can also tell you that not everyone even knows to look for stuff like that - when I bought my car I had no concept of tags - hell I barely understand it now!  I just wanted a 'Cuda, and I got one.  You try to find that "perfect" car with everything just right and you either A) won't find it or B) will spend a bajillion dollars in the process.

He's not looking for a #'s matching car and is starting off with a teardown, so stuff that needs fixed will have time to be fixed.  I'd basically say you got what you paid for, which is a good thing.

I wish you the best of luck with the new car.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline leithal

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008 - 01:21:27 PM »
I appreciate Al's input.  Those are important factors that will have costs associated with addressing them and I appreciate someone who can point out possible issues.  I joined this forum to hear from individuals who have experience, been there and done that.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008 - 05:30:00 PM »
 Massachusetts requires titles for ALL cars IIRC.   Make sure the VIN is clear.

Good luck looks like a sweet project non the less!

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline leithal

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008 - 05:48:02 PM »
I am working with a title company that has a very good reputation with the BB and the first thing they do is run a check on the vin.  I have recvd from the seller photos of vin # in various locations including the dash.  those pics have been sent to the title company to supposedly speed up the process.  This is requiring some foot work on my part and costing me a little money.  My hope is that this will be worth it when I have the car here followed up by a title.
Once the car gets here I have to have a police officer verify and sign a form that gets mailed to the title company.

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008 - 07:16:46 PM »
One suggestion if I may . Make sure the car is in your name BEFORE you start putting money into it .That's what I did . Reason being that I heard a story about a guy who bought a old Vett. He put like 20 grand into it plus the purchase price . Then when he tried to register the car he found out it was stolen . The car went back to the rightful owner and he was out everything .

I'm not sure if this was a true story or not but it was more then enough to make putting it in my name job one . I had to insure the car , then register it, then cancel the insurance, and last surrender the plates . Better safe. Nice car by the way and good luck ,  :cooldancing:

Offline leithal

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008 - 07:30:13 PM »
Oh I can promise you I will have the car titled, registered, etc. before I put a bunch of money into it.  From my understanding it runs except that the brakes are not working.  I plan to fix that and get it licensed and when I'm in the clear it will be time to tear it down.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008 - 09:17:30 AM »
If the Nevada plate is real he may have never registered it in Mass and therefore never needed a title.Looks like a decent project.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline leithal

Re: I just bought a Cuda off ebay(update)
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008 - 06:59:03 PM »
I will be replacing all of the sheet metal from the dash back except for the roof and the floor pan under the seats.  Both rails are also in bad condition, so I will be doing full rails.  I hope to start on the floor pans this winter.  I will try to get photos taken this weekend.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008 - 07:02:34 PM »
Get the paper work straightened out before you invest $$$ in it.

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008 - 07:13:06 PM »
I will be replacing all of the sheet metal from the dash back except for the roof and the floor pan under the seats.  Both rails are also in bad condition, so I will be doing full rails.  I hope to start on the floor pans this winter.  I will try to get photos taken this weekend.

Bummer.  At least they are making everything now

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008 - 07:19:14 PM »
Get the paper work straightened out before you invest $$$ in it.

Tom

Sounds like you know what your in for, but the above cannot be overstated.  No matter what you feel is going to happen, don't put anymore money into it until it's legally yours.

Offline leithal

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008 - 07:39:14 PM »
I know not to but I want to so bad.  Many nights I go to bed thinking about how I am going to go about it cutting, welding, scraping, drilling, chiseling, hammering you know  :screwy: stuff like that.  It's getting hard to wait.  To satisfy a little I will probably at least begin with getting all four on ramps and removing the interior and making a list of parts for my good friend Santa Claus.

Offline mikerallye

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008 - 07:45:47 PM »
I must have missed the pics, where's the link?  :clueless:

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008 - 08:54:28 PM »
A friend of mine has a junkyard and he uses these folks all the time for his title problems

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

Just $149 for a out of state title you can take down to the DMV.