Author Topic: dying my interior  (Read 3606 times)

Offline burrpenick

dying my interior
« on: August 01, 2008 - 11:11:31 PM »
Need to dye my door panels, kick, and rear seat side panels white. My upholstery guy says he now uses base color paint w/o hardener with better results than SEM dye. Comments?
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline 73EStroker

Re: dying my interior
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008 - 03:21:19 PM »
George- I used SEM over a red kick panel and it looks like new. I did hear however, that the SEM does not take to too much kicking, scraping, bumping etc. I would think that paint sprayed on (such as base) would take away from the panel grain a little. I would suggest to get a hold of an old broken panel and spray away to see what happens.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008 - 06:01:34 PM »
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=40436.0

This is a thread with a few options and a little talk on this subject.  Might help a little anyway.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008 - 10:47:39 PM »
I use to work at a body shop that did the same thing. It was sprayed out of a paint gun and the results looked good but I never got to see how it held up in the real world of getting in and out or just rubbing on it over a long period of time. The grain was still present so it was not sprayed on heavy. The SEM looks great and I used it on my Cuda a couple years a go and so far it has held up real good. The problem is I don't drive it on a daily basis and it is not a real good test for there product but was easy to use and looks great. Just my  :2cents:

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline gomangoRT/SE

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008 - 11:26:23 PM »
PPG local distributor did a demo for alot of body men last year.  IT had a flex agent and was superb.  They even cut up pieces out of the seat.  People would fold it bend it etc, and it never cracked or got brittle and fell off.   In my opinion SEMS is good but this is a far superior product.  Im sure probably Dupont makes something similar.  I cant help but believe this would be better than something sprayed out of a spray bomb.  Goes on much quicker and with more uniformity too.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008 - 11:31:00 PM »
What was the name of it? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008 - 05:51:17 PM »
I've used SEM on mine -- looks great -- but I, too, am concerned about durability......   especially with white!   
If anyone knows of another product that has more staying power.......

Vermont MOPAR
VT MOPAR

Offline burrpenick

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008 - 06:59:13 PM »
Thats why I was thinking paint, and when the guys said it worked well.......and then hearing that flexable under primer helped even more....
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline coupman35

• It going to be FUN
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008 - 04:31:50 PM »
 :canada:Hi am new in this forum look like a cool place am restoring a 73 challenger whit ralley package .Am also looking to restore my door panel did any one find the best way yet to do it.
Also am need help where cane you get the right color to paint them my interior is a b5 color not  shure of the capet color had no carpet in the car .
Does any one no where in Canada you can get paint to mach the same color .
Thanks
1941 Dodge truck 340cu
1935 ford 3window coupe 327cu
1965 Acadian Beaumont Convertible 283cu
1973 Challenger 318cu

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008 - 07:09:51 PM »
coupman35, 
  Please post a few pics of your car in the newbie introduction area.  If you list the fender tag readout someone here will be able to help you with what your carpet was also.  There are lots of people in Canada on this site but not many reading this thread.  I am sure someone will be able to direct you to where you can purchase the right color in your area but again, please post in the newbie introduction section with as much info on your car as possible. 

Offline coupman35

• It going to be FUN
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008 - 12:57:54 PM »
 :canada: :clueless: Ok so did any one get more info on that fex primer for the door panels .I no they have a primer for the plastic bumper that work good for the bumbers but does it work for the door panels .The door panel look like plastic to me and the say they are vinel not shure .Can any one help out whit that.thanks
1941 Dodge truck 340cu
1973 Challenger 318cu

Offline burrpenick

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008 - 01:11:13 PM »
I'm painting my panels (doors, seatbacks, back seat panels, and kick panels) with base paint (enamel). No clear, but may use an adhesive first. I think this paint has some flex agent but it is cheap if you need to add some.
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline coupman35

• It going to be FUN
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008 - 01:37:47 PM »
 :dunno:did you prime the part first or wash them ,what brand paint did u used CIL,dupont .Does it look good whitout clear coat it must look dull will it wash ok .Am just truing to see if it a good way to do it so i dont have to do it twice thanks for info
1941 Dodge truck 340cu
1973 Challenger 318cu

Offline burrpenick

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008 - 07:58:37 PM »
havebnt done it yet, but my upholstery guy does it all the time. He showed me some he did. NO CLEAR COAT, just base and it then looks natural. No primer, he just cleans with Greased LIghtening and sprays. I would going to clean the panels with something else and the paint store I deal with recommened adhesieve. They sell RM pain? not dupont or PPG.
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline coupman35

• It going to be FUN
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008 - 08:14:45 PM »
 :canada:ok because the base coat does not use a hardner in it just reducder was just woundering if it will harded good and hold on good to the panel also how durable will it be .Il have to try it on a panel part first .Thanks if you have any more hint or help let me no .
1941 Dodge truck 340cu
1973 Challenger 318cu