Author Topic: Looking to purchase my first Cuda, but the data tag is missing?  (Read 991 times)

Offline Builder1

Looking to purchase my first Cuda, but the data tag is missing?
« on: August 03, 2008 - 09:16:59 PM »
I am looking to purchase my first 440 Cuda, however the car was disassembled to restore it and the guy I am working with to buy the has lost the data tag.  How important is this tag to the car?  What does it do to the value, and car these tags be reproduced like the door tags on an early mustang?  Thanks for your help.

Alaskan_TA

Re: Looking to purchase my first Cuda, but the data tag is missing?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008 - 09:20:21 PM »
Is there a broadcast sheet?

Original window sticker or dealer invoice?

If so, a new fender tag could be made based on either of those three things.

Beware the window stickers though, people have been making fakes for close to 30 years now.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008 - 09:23:17 PM »
It really depends on what your purposes are with the car.  If you are building it for yourself to enjoy and drive, then to me the tag does not matter, unless your goal is to build it back to original condition.  If the original options that a car came with are important to you, then you need one with the tag, unless the car has the original Broadcast sheet, which will also give the options that were on it.  In order to reproduce the Data Tag, you absolutely need the original Broadcast Sheet.  As far as value, again that is up to you to decide.  If you are looking to build and resell, then the missing tag could be a big deal.  If you are looking to build to suit your desires, then to me missing or not does not matter.  Hope this helps.

Offline Builder1

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008 - 09:40:05 PM »
Is there a way to verify the engine with out this tag?  I would probably build this car and sell it after year or 2 of driving.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008 - 10:28:06 PM »
The engine code is in the VIN.

If you can list (or email) the VIN I can check my files and see if I know what the tag codes are.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008 - 10:36:12 PM »
I personally try to only purchase Mopars that have retained their tags.  Drives me crazy not to have the fender tag readout.
 If the engine is a special engine, i.e. 440 or 426 , then it is well worth the purchase even if the fender tag and build sheet are not available. 
 As Barry said, the vin will tell you what the original engine was.  Listing it will not cause any damage so don't be afraid to share. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee