Author Topic: Vintage Toys!  (Read 1866 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
Vintage Toys!
« on: August 04, 2008 - 02:37:41 PM »
Alright I know I need some pics, but dad came home late last night from.. ...well, his real home... (remember we both are living in Dresden while working at this plant) and he brought some toys for me.

He brought back my original "Voltron III" defender - five lions which join up to form a tall, semi-poseable figurine.  He also brought back a new, still boxed Dukes of Hazzard 1/25 scale diecast car, also a still-shrink-wrapped Knight Rider trans-am plastic model kit, and TWO opened-but-complete Barracuda models.  Both are pro-stock cars, one is a round-taillight car!!

I'm going to definitely build the Barracudas.  I have a Knight Rider car already, and the DOH car will probably just stay in the box.  The Voltron toy was played with HEAVILY when I was young, so it's street value is about zilch.  I wonder if it can be restored, though...   :dunno:

I imagine someday having a den or study with my old toys and such in display cases or something.  I'll snap a photo or two tonight and upload them tomorrow.  I still say they just don't make 'em like the used to, ya know?  Today's toys are garbage.

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008 - 02:39:29 PM by ViperMan »
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline DAYTONA

Re: Vintage Toys!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008 - 03:15:56 PM »
...I started building 1/25 scale model cars in 1959, yes, 1959....to date, I have about a thousand unbuilt kits spanning 6 decades......hundreds and hundreds of built models, also spanning 6 decades....lots of dealer promos too.....thats not even counting a couple thousand die cast cars.....it's a sickness I'm tellin ya, a sickness :roflsmiley:.....be careful, you may have already caught it....great hobby....might want to check out the big model/toy show in Toledo....I think it's the first weekend of October....it's a blast

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008 - 03:28:14 PM »
I'm not good at building models - never was.  I get too impatient and want to see the finished product.  And when I DO take my time, I run into other problems.  I did a model build-off competition with my dad.  Neither of us finished, but we took 70's Roadrunners - identical, skill level 3 - and the challenge was to make them custom builds.  Dad was going to do a sick paint job.  I bought a 90's Viper model and modified the engine from the Viper to fit in the road runner - custom motor mounts, custom rad support, custom, hand-made exhaust - the whole nine yards.  I never finished it, now the exhaust has fallen apart, the thing's all covered with dust, the body got scratched up just from moving and such...

Or there was the R/C Nitro body I did up for a Viper GTS - I did a "ghost flame" candy-apple-red paint job - all with rattle cans.  Looked great until the first time the body flexed, and the paint popped off.  Yes, I used nitro-body (flexible) paint - still popped off.

Models aren't for me.  I just wanna do a round-taillight 'Cuda and somehow modify the hood to look like a rallye style hood, and paint it up to look like I WANT my 'Cuda to look in a few years.

Jeff

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008 - 03:44:53 PM »
You know this is coming:  :useless:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008 - 04:06:23 PM »
When I was in college I used to suffer from big time insomnia.  So to pass the time I would build models.  Mainly World War II fighter planes and some sci fi stuff, then later I started on scifi/anime figures.  All the planes and starships are hanging in my old room at my parents house.  My Mom always complains that one day they will all come down and show up at my doorstep, but to tell the truth I dont thing she and my dad have the heart to take them down.  Some were prize winners and some were sold for quite a bit of money (I would paint/build some to earn extra cash in college).  As for the toys, I still have all my Star Wars figures that form a border along the ceiling of my den and my GI Joe and opened super hero toys are now my daughter's who plays with them along with her dollies. 

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008 - 05:38:59 PM »
I forgot the miniature Vehicle Voltron (Voltron I as it was referred to.)  There's a bummer of a story to this one - I had the Miniature Voltron III - basically the smaller version of the large one you see in the middle of this picture - but it was recalled for Lead in the paint.  So my parents sent that one in and they sent this one - a different Voltron.  I've seen the Voltron III's on ebay, but never bothered buying one.  They're basically ones that SHOULD have been recalled but obviously were never sent back.  I'll bet many people don't even KNOW how rare they are.

By the way - both of these 'Cuda's are round-tailight cars.  Anyone have any tips on how to make a custom rallye hood for these?  I want to paint one like my current car, and one like my proposed car.

Jeff

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008 - 11:33:35 PM »
...I started building 1/25 scale model cars in 1959, yes, 1959....to date, I have about a thousand unbuilt kits spanning 6 decades......hundreds and hundreds of built models, also spanning 6 decades....lots of dealer promos too.....thats not even counting a couple thousand die cast cars.....it's a sickness I'm tellin ya, a sickness :roflsmiley:.....be careful, you may have already caught it....great hobby....might want to check out the big model/toy show in Toledo....I think it's the first weekend of October....it's a blast
daytona my son tyler was wondering "where you display/keep all those models and diecast.in a waehouse or a storage facility?"

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008 - 11:48:56 PM »
...500-600 of the built kits are displayed in cases in my office...quite a few of the others others are in a "hobby room" next to my office...the hobby room is bigger than a 2 car garage completely shelved with most of the unbuilt kits in that room too....many of the smaller die casts and quite a few of the large ones are also in there on display....I also have 200 plus 1/18 die cast on display in my office....I have a storage facility/garage across town to store my real cars in and there is also a hobby room there with more unbuilt kits/die cast/etc etc....I have collected toy cars for 50 years and still buy them all the time...I'm tellin ya, it's disease :roflsmiley:

...sorry, I've never really taken any pix of the toy stuff, I should though

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008 - 12:00:22 AM »
...500-600 of the built kits are displayed in cases in my office...quite a few of the others others are in a "hobby room" next to my office...the hobby room is bigger than a 2 car garage completely shelved with most of the unbuilt kits in that room too....many of the smaller die casts and quite a few of the large ones are also in there on display....I also have 200 plus 1/18 die cast on display in my office....I have a storage facility/garage across town to store my real cars in and there is also a hobby room there with more unbuilt kits/die cast/etc etc....I have collected toy cars for 50 years and still buy them all the time...I'm tellin ya, it's disease :roflsmiley:

...sorry, I've never really taken any pix of the toy stuff, I should though
he said "you might want to get all that stuff documented and insured." and this out of the mind of a 10 yr old

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008 - 12:14:40 AM »
...smart kid, he is correct... he will probably grow up to own his own insurance company :bigsmile:

ps...I have much of it inventoried, little of it photographed, and none of it insured

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008 - 12:27:37 AM »
thanks.he is a smart kid.i think its from all the sat tv ...discovery,tlc,ntgeo,scienmltry,diyhgtv,hist and histi plus homeschooled on abecka by his grandma.
and just one other thing ask me if the cars  are for sale i don't have to answer he doe's "no they are not they are to be mine."

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008 - 01:06:02 PM »
I love toys  when i get home i will take a few pics and post . my toys start from  1923 to 1974 trains all scales. kits .tin cars and gas powered. along with promos and every thing else  i can find . my collection is over 7000 pcs and im not talking hot wheels ,this includes vintage stinger bikes along with  bug and hornet racing karts .the coolest thing i brought back from the nats was a complete set of odd rods 66 card with the 67 gtx and cuda i just love toys .also if you look at chally73s build up the walls in my shop are loaded with movie posters and some karts along the roof top .craig

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008 - 07:35:11 PM »
Not sure how hard it is to find but Monogram made a `71 `cuda Street Machine model that has a rallye hood.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008 - 10:00:25 PM »
torred there were two cudas with rallye hoods molded in black and purple .i see them on ebay fairly common under $20.00 .

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008 - 03:12:22 PM »
Yeah the 70-71's are pretty easy to find, even in Diecast.  It's the "round taillight" cars that are difficult to find, and I haven't seen any with rallye hoods - they're all shakers.

Jeff