Author Topic: Loper's machine, AZ  (Read 2840 times)

Offline 72bluNblu

Loper's machine, AZ
« on: August 04, 2008 - 04:32:03 PM »
So I'm looking at purchasing a rebuilt 360, engine is assembled but unfired with pictures of the engine before assembly. Seller says it was rebuilt at Loper's in Az, does anyone know anything about them?

Looked it up on the web so I know its there, but thats about it. I'm in CA, so I haven't heard anything about them, good or bad.

Offline Robb

Re: Loper's machine, AZ
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008 - 06:14:14 PM »
probably the same Loper's as the big seller in the magazine.   In Central PHX they have an install shop where they work on custom and classic cars/trucks.   Dont know anyone personally that has had anything done by them.   

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline BoughtItNew

• Barracuda
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008 - 07:38:08 PM »
When out for the NASCAR race one year I visited their store and shop with one of the company reps.  That was several years ago.  Looked like the speed shops I knew from late 60's early 70's.  It's been a few years but I'll check with a couple of contacts for further info.

Mike Tritle
DeKalb, IL 60115
Original Owner
74 Barracuda

Purchased Sept. 10, 1974  
DesPlaines Chrysler Plymouth
DesPlaines, IL

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008 - 07:55:00 PM »
Thanks guys! Seems like a legit business for sure, just want to get as much info as I can before putting some money down...

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008 - 07:59:34 PM »
Looked like the speed shops I knew from late 60's early 70's.  It's been a few years but I'll check with a couple of contacts for further info

Yup,  There used to be lots of places around here like that but now Lopers and Wilkeys are the last ones left. 
(Chevy is the specialty of course)

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008 - 12:12:46 AM »
A buddy of mine bought a Chevy LS6 454 crate engine from Lopers about 25 years ago, back before crate engines were the big thing. That thing was a screamer in his 68 El Camino! They've been around for a LONG time, and you don't last that long without treating your customers good. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008 - 12:22:11 AM »
A buddy of mine bought a Chevy LS6 454 crate engine from Lopers about 25 years ago, back before crate engines were the big thing. That thing was a screamer in his 68 El Camino! They've been around for a LONG time, and you don't last that long without treating your customers good. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them!

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'm looking at the engine tomorrow, if it looks good I may just bring it home!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008 - 04:25:08 AM »
Why not consider the shortblocks Chrysler sells? They are less than $1,500 and just $2350 for a 406 stroker. Just add your own heads like some ED's or even the cheap Aerohead's (Division of Indy Head)with the 2.02" valves and bolt on a manifold of your choice.
http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/blocks/smallblock.gif

The problem with buying an assembled motor is you have no clue about the quality of the valve job and machine work. With all due respect to the Chevy shops out there, I've never seen one yet that has a clue how to make a Mope run.   
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline heminut

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008 - 12:51:25 PM »
With all due respect to the Chevy shops out there, I've never seen one yet that has a clue how to make a Mope run.   

Lopers isn't a Chevy shop, they are a SPEED shop! :burnout:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008 - 02:27:40 PM »
Thanks again for the info guys! :thumbsup:

I went and looked at it this morning. If it had just been a short block I wouldn't have bothered, I've got a 360 core already that needs a rebuild. But for around the price of a rebuild this was a complete, rebuilt engine with rebuilt heads and a used intake and carb.  But the seller didn't have any documentation (receipts, work orders, etc) for it and it was all buttoned up. He didn't seem too sure about the intake valves, the heads were just 587's, no porting or anything. He seemed to think it had 2.02's in it, but couldn't confirm and didn't want to pull it apart to show me. If I'd been able to run it as is with the heads it would have been great, but I think when all was said and done I'd have just ended up with a short block I couldn't check out and an extra set of heads I wasn't going to use. Cam was milder than I want to run, same with the intake, so I passed on it. If I'm going to buy heads, intake and a cam anyway I can rebuild my short block for about the same price and not have any questions about it.

Offline BoughtItNew

• Barracuda
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008 - 04:15:32 PM »
Sounds like a wise and efficient decision based on supply and demand.

I heard from a very reliable contact close to the industry that Lopers is in very good hands after Johnny Loper's passing last year.  Still a very good and long lived company.  One of the few left!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008 - 06:29:37 PM by BoughtItNew »
Mike Tritle
DeKalb, IL 60115
Original Owner
74 Barracuda

Purchased Sept. 10, 1974  
DesPlaines Chrysler Plymouth
DesPlaines, IL

Offline heminut

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008 - 06:25:20 PM »
I agree with Boughtitnew, wise decision. If I can't get hard facts about what's in an engine, I don't care if it was Dick Landy himself selling it to me, I would pass on it!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008 - 01:09:04 AM »
Thanks again guys.

It mostly came down to the heads, I had planned on running edelbrock's on my build, but I'd have been happy to use the 587's if they had been redone with 2.02's and ported. Since the seller didn't seem like he knew (and they definitely weren't ported) I didn't want to spend the cash on heads I wasn't going to use. Plus, the answers I got about the heads led me to believe that the whole deal was a little iffy. I'd rather spend the extra money and know it was done right. I'm sure Loper's is a great shop, but this engine was supposedly done "around five years ago" which in itself raises questions. Thanks for all the input!  :thumbsup: