Author Topic: Don't hate me for this  (Read 7057 times)

Offline KZ

Don't hate me for this
« on: August 07, 2008 - 03:34:47 PM »
just wanted to know what everyone thinks about this new vehicle (you'll have to click on the link to find out which new vehicle it is I'm talking about)

http://www.motortrend.com/photo_gallery/112_0809_2010_chevy_camaro_gallery/photo_02.html

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
Re: Don't hate me for this
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008 - 03:39:39 PM »
Honestly, I think they're VERY sharp looking cars and - assuming that Chevrolet prices them competitively with the Mustang and Challenger (which all reports say that they will) they will sell a BOATLOAD of them - probably much more than the Challenger and at least rivaling future sales of the Mustang.

I have learned from chatting with people that the Camaro is earning polar reviews - that is to say that people love it or hate it - there seems to be no middle ground.

I think it's very easy to say that the muscle wars will indeed be "back" when the Camaro returns to the stage.  A lot of the "fighters" from these wars don't buy cars based on their looks or performance - they truly purchase based on the badge on the bumper.  They will buy a Camaro because it's a Chevy - doesn't matter what they think of the styling, or of the longevity, even the performance.  I think you're going to see those days indeed returning now that all three US manufacturers have their muscle back.

It's a great looking car, but I won't be considering one - I'm a Mopar guy.  :)

Jeff

P.S.  It might be a different story if they reintroduced the Firebird, but GM has pretty much already gone on record by saying "nope."  I still want a black one...  Red lights in the front...  *wink*

P.P.S.  You don't REALLY have to click on the link to see what vehicle it is if you just read the text in the link.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008 - 03:42:04 PM by ViperMan »
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline asm74

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008 - 03:41:24 PM »
I love it, and I found the late model comaro's repellent. 

The 300HP DI V6, makes it a very competitive option to the v6 challenger.  Wonder what the guzzler tax will be on these things.  Its almost 2500 on the challenger.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008 - 03:43:20 PM by asm74 »
73 Challenger

sleepychallenger

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008 - 03:43:50 PM »
Im sorry, but im not a fan. I think they attempted the retro thing and failed. Yes, it is sorta sleek looking, but they did not capture most of the esence of the older camaro's. I give them props for designing a car that is muscular looking and does not have to be a vette, but i really think that if they would have used some more suttle lines on the rear 1/4 panels and maybe altered the rearend a bit, i would be a fan. overall, decent job, but i would not buy one.

remember, my  :2cents:

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008 - 03:45:10 PM »
Aw man - it'd be SWEET with that dash in there!  Holy crap look at that thing!  The mini gauges in front of the shifter are awesome.  Of course I'm sure like the Challenger concept dash, the production version will be terribly diminished.  I personally think the Challenger dash is pathetic.  (No offense to any owners - you guys don't have a choice!)

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

sleepychallenger

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008 - 03:49:09 PM »
i didnt look that far at the camaro. i was disappointed in the harshness of the exterior lines so i didnt "open the door" to look inside

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008 - 03:49:55 PM »
I love what GM did with the Camaro. Those pictures I believe are of the production version and as far as I'm concerned they nailed it! The interior is awesome and totally reflects the 69 Camaro. GM and Ford have proven what a great retro car can be when you start on a completely new platform. Don't get me wrong I'm glad Chrysler built the Challenger and it reminds me of a 70, but I think they would have done a much better job on the retro look (namely the exterior size and interior design) working from a new platform, but I understand why they didn't. I can't wait to see the new Camaro in person.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline KZ

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008 - 03:51:46 PM »
I kind of get the sense the new Camaro looks like a hybrid between the Cadillac CTS and the Vette

Offline asm74

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008 - 04:22:29 PM »
Man sleepy, the reason you hate the car, is kind of the reason I love it!

They pushed the lines, just like the first gens did, and nailed that coke bottle shape.  I really like how extreme it is, it's part of the heritage, and also a distinguishing silhouette.   It's just as different from the new challenger as the 1st gen camaro was from the 1st gen challenger, and I think that's a great thing.   
73 Challenger

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008 - 04:25:01 PM »
I see alot of the Challenger influence in the new Camaro. Look at the side windows, side mirrors, doors... pretty much the same shape.   :2cents:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Dynamite

• N Da MAKING
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008 - 04:44:13 PM »
I going to tell you like this i am a MOPAR MAN, but that Camaro is nasty as hell. as long as you dont ask about a piece os S***T Ford.
Dynamite

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008 - 04:48:16 PM »
At least GM got rid of the stupid glass hatches they saddled all of the F bodies with.  An almost useless design feature the heats up the car in warm places like here in Arizona.

I guess I don't hate the new Camaro, maybe in a couple of years I will be parting those out too  :grinyes:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008 - 05:55:58 PM »
It is going to be a VERY popular car. It is the size I wish they had made our Challenger. The only thing I am not and never was crazy about is the JOKER smile grille. Other than that I think its cool.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline JS29U

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008 - 06:20:41 PM »

I think the challenger is a nicer looking car and has the look of a 70's ponycar like the underpowered rustang. I'm sure the camaro is a nice car, probably better than the dodge in reliabilty, gas milage and i bet cheaper than the rip off dodge dealerships.I bet chevys v6 is alot better than mopar v6. I dont think the cyl. are sleeveless like hondas. 

With 422 hp (ss), and probably about 500 lbs. less(37-3800) i would think the ls3 with the ls7 derived heads will beat the dodge, plus it has a 6 speed.

Thats my thoughts, but i like the looks of the challenger alot better. But maybe side by side, it might make the challenger look big and boaty? I don't know.  Hope not

I'd just rather have a vette for performance over the camaro both actually. But i think the challenger looks better than the vettes too.      Above, i meant i think mopar v6 cyl. are crappy sleeveless but not sure. A pain to resize clearences right.

Offline Twenty Mike Mike

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008 - 06:31:48 PM »
I kind of get the sense the new Camaro looks like a hybrid between the Cadillac CTS and the Vette

You have a very sharp eye. That's exactly what I've been saying ever since the prototype came out.