Author Topic: Don't hate me for this  (Read 7046 times)

Offline BoughtItNew

• Barracuda
Re: Don't hate me for this
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008 - 09:57:33 PM »
Yeah, they kind of did....

I do.

Cuda is prettier, though.  Some sharper, some rounded lines, more like 69 than 67/68.  Forward look applied as well.  Note angle of 1/4 windows and front line of the fenders in comparison.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008 - 10:03:25 PM by BoughtItNew »
Mike Tritle
DeKalb, IL 60115
Original Owner
74 Barracuda

Purchased Sept. 10, 1974  
DesPlaines Chrysler Plymouth
DesPlaines, IL

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008 - 10:21:20 PM »
I do think the 69 Camaro influenced the styling cues of the 70 'Cuda
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

sleepychallenger

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2008 - 12:55:10 AM »
i guess i do see it a bit in the cuda. mostly just in that straight line down the side and the bicepts on the 1/4 panels.

Offline asm74

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2008 - 03:17:07 AM »
They also share the profile of the window openings and the slope at the nose too.
73 Challenger

Offline BoughtItNew

• Barracuda
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2008 - 07:47:16 AM »
I always thought the EBody design team did what GM should have done with the Camaro.  Instead of making it look like an athletic shoe, Mopar design squared off the wheel openings, rounded the lower tail lines and made the cars look like they were moving even when parked.  I think had the quality been better and the muscle car vs. insurance companies along with the emmissions  stuff killing them  off the EBodies would have sold many more than they did in the later years and perhaps continued into the 80's and perhaps 90's like the Camaro and Firebird did.  Even Ford almost killed the Mustang when they turned it into a glorified Pinto.

But...as my grandfather said many times, "If the dog wouldn't have stopped to (take a dump) he would have caught the rabbit!"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008 - 08:54:11 AM by BoughtItNew »
Mike Tritle
DeKalb, IL 60115
Original Owner
74 Barracuda

Purchased Sept. 10, 1974  
DesPlaines, IL

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008 - 08:21:55 AM »
I think the new Camaro will be a much better car than the new Challenger. It is based on an Australian platform that is very popular. Independent rear suspension I think too?
It is smaller and lighter. So it will probably handle better.
Plus (unlike the Challenger) it will be for sale here in the UK and built to UK spec with right hand drive. I can see it being a good seller all over the world.

When you see a new Challenger next to the original you see what a beautiful and clever design it really was. The new one just looks big and heavy.
It is like that lovely young skinny wife you married now she has put on 200lbs. Still looks kind of the same. But original version turned you on. :lol:
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Offline BoughtItNew

• Barracuda
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2008 - 08:55:35 AM »
I think the new Camaro will be a much better car than the new Challenger. It is based on an Australian platform that is very popular. Independent rear suspension I think too?
It is smaller and lighter. So it will probably handle better.
Plus (unlike the Challenger) it will be for sale here in the UK and built to UK spec with right hand drive. I can see it being a good seller all over the world.

When you see a new Challenger next to the original you see what a beautiful and clever design it really was. The new one just looks big and heavy.
It is like that lovely young skinny wife you married now she has put on 200lbs. Still looks kind of the same. But original version turned you on. :lol:

Well stated!  I like the analogy.
Mike Tritle
DeKalb, IL 60115
Original Owner
74 Barracuda

Purchased Sept. 10, 1974  
DesPlaines, IL

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008 - 09:37:40 AM »
Well stated!  I like the analogy.

:iagree:   :roflsmiley:  :smilielol:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008 - 10:03:02 AM »
The new Challenger HAS independent rear suspension. The one they put in the camaro will probably be the same wheelhopping POS setup they used in the Holden GTO, with the same POS 10 bolt rear they've been using forever. MY friend has an '04 GTO and a body part actually fell off the back of the car at the race track when he launched it it wheel hopped so bad. "The worst wheelhop I've ever seen" was his quote. He don't race it anymore because he's afraid the rear will break, and it will. The aftermarket has sold more 10 bolt rear gearsets than probably all the other rear types combined.

And what's the benefit of looking lighter when you're really not?  :clueless:

Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008 - 06:26:19 PM »
The new Camaro has also grown substantially compared to the original.  Not sure of the final weight, but it is heavier, just not as much as the Challenger.

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008 - 06:55:38 PM »
I agree that the challenger looks better on the outside but the inside of the camero looks so sweet.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2008 - 08:24:00 PM »
Is the Australian car that the Camaro is modeled after called the     mongusta?? 
  I seem to recall that being the name. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2008 - 08:45:02 PM »
Is the Australian car that the Camaro is modeled after called the     mongusta?? 
  I seem to recall that being the name. 
It is called the " Monaro " :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline asm74

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2008 - 10:32:23 PM »
The Holden Monaro is called the GTO in the US.  As far as I know the 2010 Camaro is a "fresh start."  It does not share a platform with any other vehicle in Chevy's lineup. 
73 Challenger

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2008 - 07:28:59 AM »
The motoring journalists here in the UK are saying it is "based on the Holden Monaro platform". :dunno:
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited