Author Topic: Cam lobe wear  (Read 31430 times)

Offline LAA66

Re: Cam lobe wear
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2008 - 07:58:41 PM »
 Is your car a 4-speed? Try grounding the green wire going from the dash to the relay on the fire wall. If auto, try by passing the neutral switch on the trans. If you need to lube the cam again because trying to start it repetitively, pull the intake and so be it. The cam wouldn't be wiped until the engine fired at speed while dry. Have faith. :)

Someone here may have a jumper setup to just run the ignition electrical for breakin purposes? Then you can figure the rest out.

Offline Belgium Cuda

• Living in Belgium but beeing Swedish
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2008 - 01:43:57 AM »
Thanks for the electrical tips! Will try it tomorrow. Had a nightmare were the problem was I've got one of the papergaskets for the intake wrong so it blocked the ports.
1970 Challenger Convertible - to become a Hemi tribute
1968 Charger R/T 500 cui stroker

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2008 - 04:21:24 PM »
 :bigsmile: Tried back the first carb and the other TDC and it started.  :woo: Now changing back all electronics and adjustments and
then I can hopefully say that the vibrations are gone and the new camshaft has some better response.  :2thumbs:

nivvy

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2008 - 06:02:42 PM »
this usally helps out with cam lobe wear.......  :scared:

Offline LAA66

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2008 - 11:59:35 PM »
 Well, now I'm totally lost. How do you run a motor with an open valley and not lose oil everywhere.  Maybe the secret rubber ducky sealer. :crazy:

B.C., wondering how did the carb swap help the electrical problem, re: no spark? Glad to hear things are moving forward too. :clapping:

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2008 - 12:35:50 AM »
Well, now I'm totally lost. How do you run a motor with an open valley and not lose oil everywhere.  Maybe the secret rubber ducky sealer. :crazy:

B.C., wondering how did the carb swap help the electrical problem, re: no spark? Glad to hear things are moving forward too. :clapping:

If you look closely, you can see that there's a sheet of Lexan over the valley.  Even still, it has to be just for show.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2008 - 03:53:34 PM »
Vibrations still there together with the irritating resonance sound, the new cam needs moore gear then the 2,94. Back to balance issue in the engine
or/and pistonringproblems in cylinder 3.  :clueless:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2008 - 04:43:54 PM »
Are you 1,000% sure you don't have metal to metal contact somewhere? Like a header hitting the torsion bar or the steering column or even the oil pan? Out of balance will be a cyclic sound that comes and goes, like a lawnmower with a bad cutting blade. If it's a steady resonance I'll bet you're hitting the frame somewhere or maybe you have a solid engine mount. 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2008 - 11:22:18 AM »
I will check the enginemounts and the trannymount. Exhaustmanifolds and the rest has good clearence. Your lawnmower sound is moore in my direction.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2008 - 12:20:40 PM »
A cyclic sound would be the balance  :crying:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2008 - 07:04:43 PM »
Belgium, it sounds as if it's now time to do some serious, step-by-step diagnostics. Step one is to find out if you are getting spark to that cylinder. Use your timing light to confirm spark- just clamp it around the suspect cylinder's wire and see if the light flashes. No flash=no spark. If you have spark, it's now time to check cylinder contribution. Pull the spark plug wires off of each cylinder, one at a time and replacing them before moving on; before moving to the next cylinder, allow the engine to recover normal idle speed. Sometimes, the engine needs to be run at a speed above idle (usually 1,500 rpm), in order to arrive at meaningful results. If the rpm do not drop when you kill spark to the cylinder, that cylinder is not contributing. You have located the problem. If you get an rpm increase when you remove a wire, keep going with the test and see if any other cylinder also does this. This usually denotes a crossfiring between spark plug wires. Usually, this is the result of "induced voltage" from an active wire to one that should not be receiving spark. This is usually because the 2 wires run next to each other, and in close proximity. If you determine that a cylinder is only along for the ride, and it is receiving spark, move the spark plug from the bad cylinder to another; if the problem moves to the new home of the spark plug, the plug is the culprit. If not, then it is time to move on with our diagnosis. Check with an aerosol that is compatible with your running engine, for vacuum leaks around the intake manifold/cylinder head junction. I like to use starting ether, as it always yields a result for even the smallest leak. It is extremely flammable, and I recommend that you use WD-40, or carburetor cleaner, or brake cleaner. Spray a shot into the airhorn of the carb first, in order to determine what result you are looking for from the aerosol's introduction to the engine's intake path. After you know what to listen for, it is time to spray around the intake manifold mounting, and check for leaks. Be careful with the spray, as the running engine may suck it in the airhorn as easily as the intake gasket. I use a shield between the carb and where I am spraying, in order to keep false positives to a minimum. If you have spark, no intake leaks, and fuel, the only other part of the equation is compression. It is time to check leakdown on the offending cylinder. We have already visited that, so the instructions aren't necessary again. It would also be wise to perform a compression test of the offending cylinder, warm engine conditions. Block the throttle wide open, and disable the ignition, so it won't start. Record the 1st and 4th compression strokes, and the ultimate compression- the highest it will crank up pressure. Also do a couple of good cylinders, for reference. The answer should present itself in this testing sequence.

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2008 - 02:54:12 PM »
Always nice with help! :2thumbs: Do I need to remove the other sparkplugs for a compressiontest in one cylinder?
I will continue my testing after coming back from a week in the fatherland, Sweden.

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2008 - 08:07:22 PM »
Yes, Belgium, the spark plugs all have to come out for a truly valid test. As a shortcut, a mechanic that has narrowed down his possibilities to one cylinder will often just pull the plug on the suspect, and maybe another for comparison. The numbers are then less accurate for a "real world" understanding of the engine's health, but the diagnosis is more about comparative compression pressures, so it can be shortcut for your purposes. Because of your continued problems with this engine, I would do a thorough test, so that all cylinders are tested under the same conditions. This would make me feel better about the engine, if it were mine. The balance and vibration/interference theories are good, but should be obvious. A balance issue will rarely result in a dead cylinder, so I would confirm the engine's running condition before addressing the other possibilities. If there is interferance with other components under the car, it usually is visible, as well as audible. Where parts of my exhaust contact the chassis, it results in some annoying harmonics, but no actual running problem.

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2008 - 03:25:42 PM »
Will continue here with the post "acc pump spring" since it's the same car/engine. After swapping with a fresh Holley I know the carb isn't an issue anymoore. Took the Holley from my 300 and it ran perfect and on the GTX the car shakes on idle so you think the motormounts will brake and
backfires when giving throttle. When driving it feels like there is not enough fuel. Turning the distributor doesn't change anything.
Strange that after I changed the camshaft the car ran OK except the minor vibrations, resonance and poor throttleresponse. After 1 week in
garage this new issue started, the water in the tank happend 2 months ago. Since then I also changed the tank and pump.
I am getting so tired of this now so I think I will pull the engine and see how it looks like inside once and for all.  :banghead:

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2008 - 08:22:48 PM »
Wow. It sounds like you may really have a foundation issue with the assembly. Good idea to take it down and inspect it completely. Go at it slowly and carefully, and check and double-check everything as it comes out. Look at ring gap spacing, ring condition, piston and rod assembly (is one backwards?), and make sure that you don't mix up your lifters. Check your timing marks on the gears before taking them off. There must be something. After taking it all the way down, take the rotating assembly, including the torque convertor, to a reputable machine shop that can balance it. Have them check it carefully, and re-balance as necessary. Good luck, and keep us posted.