Author Topic: Cam lobe wear  (Read 31432 times)

Offline Belgium Cuda

• Living in Belgium but beeing Swedish
Re: Cam lobe wear
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2008 - 12:09:34 PM »
Bearings looks like sand was pored in the engine although they were new. Datecoded fits with date of invoice for rebuild. Journals
were done 0,010 but has to be redone I guess.  :swear:
1970 Challenger Convertible - to become a Hemi tribute
1968 Charger R/T 500 cui stroker

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2008 - 06:08:39 PM »
Belgium, I am SO sorry that this had to happen to you. As a professional mechanic, I am disappointed and ashamed for my profession when I see work of such a low quality. It would not surprise me if the machine shop called you back and said that the crank was scrap, due to the poor ballance job that was previously performed. I would look into  using the higher compression pistons, as the low compression 440 was a pig. Best of luck to you, and I hope that your further adventures with this car are much more positive.

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2008 - 09:20:41 PM »
Well look at this, these "craters" I can feel the depth with my finger. What's that? If a honejob don't fix this and I'm looking for a 0,060 rebore
the balanced rotating assembly I have laying wouldn't fit anymoore beeing 0,040 pistons.  :bricks1:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2008 - 10:12:14 PM »
Looks like that block might be junk. Might be cheaper to look for another one, or maybe another motor after looking at the crankshaft. I'm almost afraid to see the valve job and valve guides on this motor.

If you know who did this you should post it up so they can get full credit for maybe the worst engine rebuild I've ever seen. Looks like they bored the motor and just assembled it without cleaning out the metal dust. They really shouldn't be allowed to ever hold a wrench of any kind, or ever own a Mopar.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2008 - 04:17:36 PM »
Looks like that block might be junk. Might be cheaper to look for another one, or maybe another motor after looking at the crankshaft. I'm almost afraid to see the valve job and valve guides on this motor.

If you know who did this you should post it up so they can get full credit for maybe the worst engine rebuild I've ever seen. Looks like they bored the motor and just assembled it without cleaning out the metal dust. They really shouldn't be allowed to ever hold a wrench of any kind, or ever own a Mopar.

The superb machineshop that did this excellent rebuild was Huntsville Engine & Performance Center, they also did work for Jegs at the time
of the rebuild according to the guy I bought the car from.
The invoice I have says 650$ for machinework and 620$ for parts beeing mainly pistons and bearings.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2008 - 07:59:57 PM »
Looking at the damage in the bore's I'd say it's going to need .060 over, if it cleans up at all. That one with the pits might even need to be sleeved. Pretty awful luck Belgium, I guess that's why people say not to buy parts rebuilt by somebody else. Still, this looks like a especially bad case  :eek4:

Offline willard

• 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2008 - 02:34:12 PM »
Well, I read this trade and learnt many useful things. I also have a mopar in EU that was advertised as rebuild but I think it's not working properly. Step by step I'm checking it and after I read your case I get a feeling that this may be my case too...
My problem is also finding a reliable machine shop, you won't find many mopar mechanics in Poland :|
Anyway I wish you good luck with that motor. Once you rebuild it will rock.
1970 383 R/T SE

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2008 - 01:39:27 PM »
Well, finally some luck.  :bigsmile: Got the block back from my machineshop and he could hone it enough for the KB pistons, luckely
it wasn't bored enough for 0,040 pistons. Now I can start the assembly after cleaning the rest of the parts.

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2008 - 02:20:03 PM »
I love happy endings!!! :cheers:
** Shane **

Offline LAA66

« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2008 - 05:05:33 PM »
 :2thumbs: Keep us posted on the build. :popcorn:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2008 - 06:25:40 PM »
  :jumping:   :jumping:   :jumping:

GREAT news!!

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2008 - 07:36:01 PM »
This is GREAT news from you, Belgium! I am glad that the engine block could be saved. I hope that you get nothing else but good news regarding this engine. Keep us posted!

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2008 - 08:33:19 PM »
Well, finally some luck.  :bigsmile: Got the block back from my machineshop and he could hone it enough for the KB pistons, luckely
it wasn't bored enough for 0,040 pistons. Now I can start the assembly after cleaning the rest of the parts.
Hey BC, Isn't that piston upside down in the bore.............. great to see it cleaned up for you. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2008 - 02:15:55 AM »
Hey BC, Isn't that piston upside down in the bore.............. great to see it cleaned up for you. :2thumbs:

Although I only put it there for demo I still wonder what you mean, my selfconfidence these days is rather low  :clueless:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2008 - 07:54:45 AM »
Although I only put it there for demo I still wonder what you mean, my selfconfidence these days is rather low  :clueless:
Sorry about that BC, i thought there was a lump on the top of the piston :grinno: without looking at the valve relirfs properly.  You have flat tops and they are mounted correctly.  Sorry again for any confusion old mate. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.