When did you buy your 1st E-body?

Author Topic: When did you buy your 1st E-body?  (Read 8722 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: When did you buy your 1st E-body?
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2008 - 10:53:18 AM »
I bought a U code 70 4 spd chall in 77

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2008 - 03:03:58 PM »
My dad bought his Challenger T/A new in '70.  I bought mine in 2006.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline deserthorizons

• My Challenger web site..
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2008 - 11:30:28 AM »
August 24th, 1976
A date I will remember forever.!

Bought it for $1950.00
1972 `Cuda 340
w/81,000 miles on it..

sold it Dec 14th 1984 for $2200.00

In the time I owned it I put at least $13,000 in to it..
3K in bodywork & paint
3K+ in engine to get it to 450hp
misc parts and repairs take care of the rest..

225/65/17 = 28.5"x9"  &  255/70/17 = 31.1"x10.25"
........ Get In, Sit Down, Shut Up, and Hold On.!......

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2008 - 02:22:37 PM »
Found my original information from May, 28, 1970          Interesting....

1970............1970 340 Challenger.

...actually bought 5-28-70
From Piedmont Dodge, Martinsville, Va.
JH23 H0B 182687
List at $4013.55 with destination charge........Minus Allowance on a 62 Chevy resulting in $3150.00 Difference

Vinyl split bench seat w/CAR
Light group
Rallye cluster
340 CID 4bbl
Power brakes
Seatbelt group
Torqueflite Transmission
Tinted Windshield
Mirror right o/s manual painted
Mirror left remote control painted
Locking gas cap
Bumper guards  Front/Rear rubber inserts
Radio- Music master am
Power steering
 Vinyl roof  - black
Tires F60x15 RWL Fiberglass  ( These were painted wheels and I had them swap with another Challenger for the F70x14 with the Wire spoke Covers)

April  2004.....For more than I paid for my new one.....
..1970 440 Challenger  R/T S/E

See avitar for orig and Website for second one...........
Dave or David

Offline wiging19

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2008 - 03:20:39 PM »
In 1994 I was telling the divisional secretary that I was buying my dream house and had only two other dreams I wanted to fulfill in my life.  One was to find the right woman to marry and the other was to buy a dodge challenger.  She mentioned that her brother was trying to sell a couple of cars he had picked up and one of them was a challenger.  I asked her what he wanted for the car and she said she would talke to him about the price.  He said $3,500 which I thought was a good price but my sister said you don't know what kind of repair it was in so offer $3,000 cash.  He said sure.  Then drove from Reno Nevada in it to Seattle to sell it to me.  I was thinking it would be a hard top 318 but it turned out to be a convertible with all the bell & whistles that could offered on a 318.  It was very drivable with 83K miles.  I drove it for four years before it started smoking and needed a rebuild.  Since then I've just been fixing it up to my needs.  I initially improved the drive train to a 360 crate 380hp, 727 tran and 3.23 sure grip rear.  Then the crate engine ruined my transmission.  So in the discussions to repair the engine and transmission I decided to go with a hemi.  So I've put in a dana rear with 3.54 ratio, a new transmission built for the hemi, a hemi engine with 600hp and I'm waiting on a original looking K-member that will let me fit all of that under the car with a transmission shield.  The K-member has been the most challenging part of the build.  In the end I've probably put about what the cars worth in upgrades throughout the car but every time I drive it I remember why I love the car so much.  It is just a fun car to be in.  For me it is definately a family car.  I did find my final dream item six years after I got the challenger.  So your dreams can come true if you keeping looking.... :crazy:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2008 - 06:04:43 PM »
74 cuda in 78, 72 cuda in 79, about 3 dozen or more in the 80's and 90's, still have around 7 parts e bodies, and my 70 m46 car

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2008 - 07:43:19 PM »
74 cuda in 78, 72 cuda in 79, about 3 dozen or more in the 80's and 90's, still have around 7 parts e bodies, and my 70 m46 car

I think we have a winner here!!    :lol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2008 - 08:24:29 PM »
In 1994 I was telling the divisional secretary that I was buying my dream house and had only two other dreams I wanted to fulfill in my life.  One was to find the right woman to marry and the other was to buy a dodge challenger.  She mentioned that her brother was trying to sell a couple of cars he had picked up and one of them was a challenger.  I asked her what he wanted for the car and she said she would talke to him about the price.  He said $3,500 which I thought was a good price but my sister said you don't know what kind of repair it was in so offer $3,000 cash.  He said sure.  Then drove from Reno Nevada in it to Seattle to sell it to me.  I was thinking it would be a hard top 318 but it turned out to be a convertible with all the bell & whistles that could offered on a 318.  It was very drivable with 83K miles.  I drove it for four years before it started smoking and needed a rebuild.  Since then I've just been fixing it up to my needs.  I initially improved the drive train to a 360 crate 380hp, 727 tran and 3.23 sure grip rear.  Then the crate engine ruined my transmission.  So in the discussions to repair the engine and transmission I decided to go with a hemi.  So I've put in a dana rear with 3.54 ratio, a new transmission built for the hemi, a hemi engine with 600hp and I'm waiting on a original looking K-member that will let me fit all of that under the car with a transmission shield.  The K-member has been the most challenging part of the build.  In the end I've probably put about what the cars worth in upgrades throughout the car but every time I drive it I remember why I love the car so much.  It is just a fun car to be in.  For me it is definately a family car.  I did find my final dream item six years after I got the challenger.  So your dreams can come true if you keeping looking.... :crazy:

That's a great story. Hope you find the K-member. I think most of us have more into their car then what they are worth. That's ok, cause you just have to go that extra mile to fofill the dream.  :thumbsup:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2008 - 11:37:21 PM »
  I think we have a winner here!!    :lol:

My buddy Chris (who I know reads the 2008 Challenger forums here, but I think he just lurks) was famous in my circle for never hanging onto a car more than 6 months. I have no idea how many e-bodies he's had (we're going junyarding sunday, so I'll ask) but I'm sure the number of total cars has to be closing in on a hundred.

Chris, if you read this pop in, introduce yourself, and set me straight.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2008 - 04:22:09 AM »
I paid $1400 for a U code 4 spd R/T in 77
 I was offered 3200 for it 18 months later & sold it regretting it immediatly so I replaced it with a better Chall

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline triggerfish

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2008 - 03:11:08 PM »
Are there more newcomers or old timers?

Mine was a '70 'cuda in 1977.
1970 as a senior in high school, I got $6k from an accident that totalled my 69 Dart GT, so I went down to Sam Krug Chrysler Plymouth & bought a 70 Lemon Twist/black 383 4spd Cuda that was on the showroom floor.  Loaded w/ AC, rear window slats, Magnum 500's F70 Polyglass tires & black vinyl top.  Sticker was just under $6K.  The salesman told me how to drive a clutch, so I paid em cash & off I went.  Fond memories of racing my bro's new 69 Charger R/T (B5/white) & terrorizing the neighborhood.   Wish I still had that car, but got a B5 U code I'm about to finish.  my 70 Chally comes pretty close to the same excitement level, especially when I raced my bro @ Mopars at the Strip for the 1st time since high school.  Even though I ran out of gas by the time I hit 4th, it was still a blast.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008 - 03:15:11 PM by triggerfish »

Offline LAA66

« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2008 - 12:43:46 AM »
 You bought it off the showroom floor in 70 :eek7: That is awesome. Tell us more. :popcorn:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2008 - 07:41:06 PM »
You bought it off the showroom floor in 70 :eek7: That is awesome. Tell us more. :popcorn:
:iagree:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2008 - 09:59:14 PM »
I bought mine when I was 16, back in 2000. It was for sale running and in decent shape for only $2500.  My girlfriend was going to buy it if I didn't snatch it up in time, so I jumped on it and drove it home later that week.  Unfortunately the kickdown linkage wasn't connected and the trans gave out as I was literally pulling into the driveway.  It was like something out of a movie!

Offline PlumCrazyRTSE

« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2008 - 11:25:08 PM »
I bought my first 70 Challenger R/T in 1978, when I was still in high school for $1,500.  It was a red, 383 magnum, automatic that ran great.  In late 79, after graduating from high school, I sold the R/T and bought a 70 burnt orange Challenger R/T SE which was also a 383 magnum, automatic.  This one ran even better than the red R/T but had some rust problems on the inner fenders and firewall.  I only paid $500 for the R/T SE.  I kept her for several years intending to restore her but I eventually sold her as well just before I sold my first house in 1992.

Now to the present day; back in January of this year I purchased another 70 Challenger R/T SE but this one is an original plum crazy, V- code 440 six-pack, super track pac car with all matching numbers and no rust.  I hope to put her through a full rotisserie restoration in two or three years but she’s in pretty good shape as is.  Each time I sold one of my Challengers I felt sick to my stomach as I watched it drive off.  I expect to keep the one I have now until I’m either dead or just too darn old to drive her.  :2thumbs:
1970 Challenger R/T SE, 440 Six Pack, Super Track Pak, FC7 Plum Crazy Purple
1970 Challenger R/T SE, 440 Six Pack, Super Track Pak, FE5 Bright Red