1971 DODGE CHALLENGER SURVIVOR CAR -- ORIGINAL OWNER

Author Topic: 1971 DODGE CHALLENGER SURVIVOR CAR -- ORIGINAL OWNER  (Read 31424 times)

Offline bella beeze

• "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."
RARE SURVIVOR-- 1 OF 443--1971 DODGE CHALLENGER DEPUTY 225 CAR -- ORIG. OWNER
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2008 - 06:16:50 PM »
Hey Guys,
Just found out that my car is one (1) of 443 produced in 1971 as per GALEN'S WHITE BOOK, given that it is a 1971 Deputy with a 225. So how much do you think my car is worth now? Was my initial price of $18,000 still out of line as advised from you guys with credibility? Would a COLLECTOR CAR AUCTION provide me with the means to get my price? Would a Would be interested in your thoughts and input.

By the way, Antoon (Thedeputy) from the Netherlands advised me of this information. His comment on the Dodge Challenger Message Board is as follows:

Frequent Poster

Even fewer produced than 1672. It's a 71 deputy challenger. Only 443 produced with a 225 automatic. According to galens white book.
Antoon

Also the link to the thread is as follows:       http://challenger.mpoli.fi/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43056#43056

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Re: 1971 DODGE CHALLENGER SURVIVOR CAR -- ORIGINAL OWNER
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2008 - 10:28:51 PM »
Like I and others always say:

RARE doesnt always mean DESIREABLE.   :grinno:

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2008 - 10:33:26 PM »
...figure, if the car were perfect, it is worth $XXX

...now, deduct the cost of paint/body, interior, mechanical parts etc etc and you will find the cars true value...original or restored, the car isn't a high dollar car nor will it ever be...the cost of a restoration would far exceed the value of the finished car

....if the body/frame is solid, it may be a good starter for a clone project...at that point, the drivetrain and many other facets of the car (including being a Deputy) hold very little value as they will eventually be repalced with new components...sentimental value to you or yours, can't take that to the bank

...rarity and desireability aren't necessarily the same thing, some cars are rare for a reason,

...I hope you the best with your sale, it will find a home when the price is right

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2008 - 12:52:24 AM »
Just curious if you have the build sheet and any other documentation from the original puchase in 1971.  I know thats a long time to keep paper work but some people do have this stuff.  It can aid in the sale of your Challenger to a willing buyer.   Just my 2¢.

-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2008 - 01:38:04 AM »
...figure, if the car were perfect, it is worth $XXX

...now, deduct the cost of paint/body, interior, mechanical parts etc etc and you will find the cars true value...original or restored, the car isn't a high dollar car nor will it ever be...the cost of a restoration would far exceed the value of the finished car

....if the body/frame is solid, it may be a good starter for a clone project...at that point, the drivetrain and many other facets of the car (including being a Deputy) hold very little value as they will eventually be repalced with new components...sentimental value to you or yours, can't take that to the bank

...rarity and desireability aren't necessarily the same thing, some cars are rare for a reason,

...I hope you the best with your sale, it will find a home when the price is right

:iagree:

Now don't take me the wrong way, it is a nice car that I would love to own, but as the others said, it is just not a desireable model for most buyers and will not bring the money that a V8 will bring.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline nakita7

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2008 - 07:14:01 AM »
Ebay with no reserve will settle the "What's it worth?" question...
72 Charger Rallye (440 auto)
72 Charger Rallye (318 auto)
71 Charger RT

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2008 - 10:25:29 AM »
I thought it was offers over $10K, now its $18K ??  :dunno:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2008 - 10:28:56 AM »
I thought it was offers over $10K, now its $18K ??  :dunno:

As like anyone. She would be wanting as much as she could get for it.  Offers over 10k, but if she could sell to a collector and get 18k she would be tickled pink. But a /6 for 18k even being rare, could take a long while to sell

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2008 - 10:46:17 AM »
Ebay with no reserve will settle the "What's it worth?" question...

:iagree:  The world's biggest marketplace. Millions of people to bid on what you are selling. Where a rusted out skeletal hulk with no motor, rear, engine, tranny, interior or floorboard can go for $4,000 because of a letter on the fender tag. :2thumbs:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline bella beeze

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2008 - 01:39:33 PM »
Thank you for your responses. I understand what all of you are saying. But those out there that say rare does not translate into desirable. Watch me. I will make it mean that. I am a determined person who just keeps on trying - just part of my personality and history.  :hyper:

I will keep you posted and updated. I will do the best I can at getting it, as I am a "trier". I find it hard to give up. But if I have to concede at some point I will,  :faint:  :pullinghair:

but until then I am keeping on and going on to best my goad price or close to it. I still have some time to kill.   :popcorn:

Thank you to MOPARAL - you understand me - and you comments were spot on. I am seeking best offers over $10,000 and if I can get $18,000 I would be tinkled fushia pink - and so a cart wheel and the splitz. (could be quite a sight considering I have not done either one for a good 20 some years - but I believe I still have it in me).  :wow:

(If you look at the beginning of this thread I initially was asking $18,000 then, I changed it to best offer over $10,000 after I was advised i was basically dreaming about $18,000)

By the way.............(FROM VIN/PRODUCTION #S/BROADCAST SHEETS SECTION FROM THIS WEBSITE)

BELLA BEEZE Thanks Challenger HK!! What a story about the pole! Very unfortunate for the car (deputy 225). I hope she was OK. I worked for an Insurance Company (AAMI) in Australia (I am in Canada at the moment with my mother) and the first thing we ask when someone is in an accident is -- Are you OK? --- Cars are replaceable, but people are not. I always drive very carefully. I am a lady driver. Well, I at least know one was existing out there and was hit by a pole. I am keeping a track of them now.

If I do not sell it I am going to start a record and website for DEPUTY CHALLENGERS. I love records and research. Thanks for that. Do You have any other information on the car that I can record? Such as the city and state it died in and where do it end up. Color etc. I would appreciate it as I am serious about this. It will be a hobby for me. I need a hobby and I was looking for one.

Any other Deputy Challengers out there with 225 out there tell me your story DEAD or ALIVE. I want to know.

Thank you again Alaskan_TA - you are the man with the knowledge, you are a encyclopedia for challengers. I like you. As I mentioned above, I love records and research - it is definitive. I admire that and appreciate your input (GALEN'S WHITE BOOK IS FOR US CHALLENGER CARS AND DOES NOT INCLUDE CANADA EXPORT) as I am always seeking the truth about everything. I will pass this along to any prospective buyer as I too believe in being honest and if them the facts I will tell them as such. Do you know how I would find out how many were produced for Canada?

Regards,
Bella Beeze

Offline bella beeze

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2008 - 01:51:56 PM »
OH BY THE WAY....

The car is finished at the mechanics and I spent a few thousand on it. The car got new tires, new brakes, the gas tank was cleaned out twice. The car is hitting all six cylinders and idles dead smooth. So the mechanical that DAYTONA was talking about and factoring in is not an issue. I do not think the person that buys my car will rip it apart as you say. I believe the new owner will restore it as original, as a true survivor car. I think you going in the wrong direction with ripping it apart. Just my 2 cents worth, but nonetheless thanks for your input. Any and all input is always appreciated as I am open to all thoughts. I have an open mind.

hooD --- Thank you for your interest. Yes. I would be greatly interested in your assistance and appreciate it greatly. I was advised my the mechanic that the broadcast sheet is in the car and I also have a picture of the car from 1971 or 1972 showing it is a survivor car. It is a black and white photo of my car outside my parents first house in Canada. I bought the car from my parents for $1 in 1985 for insurance purposes. My parents bought it new and we believe as a demo car but need to check the broadcast sheet for that. Could be the reason why it is an oddball car or at least a contributing factor as my parents bought it on sale at the end of the year and had no choice of any options.

Offline bella beeze

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2008 - 02:32:09 PM »
Also DAYTONA -- what is wrong with the interior it is original and the passenger front and rear seats are in perfect condition. The only thing that needs fixing with the interior is the front driver's seat. With the mechanical - tires and brakes new and gas tank cleaned and holds gas - the car is now running, moving and driving. This is a easy fix and an easy resto and it is a solid car in remarkable preserved condition. Not as complicated and costly as you make out. Just my 3 cents worth.

So I ask everyone what is it worth?

What sense is it to put it on Ebay -- so many non-payers and buyers have to factor in shipping costs, I do not think that will give me the value. Try to convince me of EBAY and I am interested to know why as it does not make any sense.

There are a few Collector Car Auctions in and around Alberta in the month of September and if I put it in with a RESERVE PRICE would this not give me the best chance to get the price I am desiring, rather than EBAY?

Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks always, Bella Beeze

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2008 - 03:02:35 PM »
 WOW..........just read through this entire post!
Your an interesting lady for sure   :screwy: .....................I'm kidding.....I'm kidding  :misbehaving:
Hope your enjoying the site and welcome to you  :wave:
 Are you going the auction route?

A few quotes from you,
"This is a easy fix and an easy resto"..............nothing is ever an easy fix or easy resto  :pullinghair:
"Not as complicated and costly as you make out"..........................it's always more costly and complicated than initally anticipated :pullinghair:

Though those beliefs are not written in stone, from my experience in this hobby for two decades it tends to be the rule, rather than the exception unfortunately   :bricks1:

You seem like a real level headed person, and it is great that you have done a lot of research before you sell your Challenger.  :thumbsup:
 My only advice to you.
I notice you don't get defensive enough when others reply with advice  :poopoke: :roflsmiley:
 Once again I am totally kidding.  :misbehaving:

Really hope you get what you want for your Chally.
And I hope she finds a good home  :2thumbs:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2008 - 04:18:34 PM »
 :wow:

:drama:

:canada:
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2008 - 07:08:13 PM »
hints...
...you can also set a "reserve price" on Ebay....point is, it will give you an idea what the world wide collectors market sets the value at, and it's much cheaper/easier than an auction...I attended Kruse this past weekend, and there were many many cars, restored cars, of all types that only bid to $10-15K, some even less.....these were beautiful cars, already done...the auction market/collector car market is soft, VERY SOFT...

...or, you can hire an appraisal company to appraise the car for you...I appraised collector cars for 10 years or so, and I can tell you a car is only worth what someone is willing to give you in cash TODAY.....thats it

...any car left sitting in a driveway for 15 years will have issues....rust underneath being a major concern, sun bleached/rotted interior(split dash pad) a second concern...not counting all the issues from the car not being driven for 15 years....getting it started and flushing the fuel system is a far cry from a mechanical restoration....to drive it as is, it has a limited value, to spend further $$$ to restore it to its original status is not financially sound advice unless you do it yourself as a labor of love and keep it, or it is used as a basis for a clone of some sort...have you checked the trunk for water/mud rust...guarantee you the trunk has leaked, ALL Challengers that got wet leaked into the trunk....keep it closed up for 15 years and I can only imagine what might be in there...

...I can appreciate your thinking you are going to change the thinking of the world and make them realize what a rare car this is, bottom line, it isn't that rare in the collector car world....

...if you have received any offers from your ad here, consider them, if you haven't, take it as a hint it's overpriced