Author Topic: Dash protection  (Read 873 times)

Offline 71chmark

Dash protection
« on: August 10, 2008 - 11:54:05 AM »
Is there a product I can use to help keep my dash from getting cracks (besides a "DON'T TOUCH" sign)?
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Dash protection
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008 - 12:10:49 PM »

Yup, shade, a car cover or garage. :icon16:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

sleepychallenger

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008 - 01:12:02 PM »
 :roflsmiley:

Yup, shade, a car cover or garage. :icon16:

i have a dash cover, (carpet) but that is to cover my cracks

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008 - 01:19:04 PM »
The sun is your enemy. I really don't know if Armor-All or any of those products works or not.   :dunno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

sleepychallenger

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008 - 01:21:12 PM »
i heard that armor-all is bad because it drys out your stuff. i use mguires on my stuff.

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008 - 04:23:13 PM »
i heard that armor-all is bad because it drys out your stuff. i use mguires on my stuff.

Me too - some use alcohol in their mix and causes a drying effect.

I have been using STP son of a gun.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline duodec

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008 - 01:30:57 AM »
A long time ago when I used to be able to go to the SEMA shows in LV (early '80s), a couple of engineers at the STP booth who at the time were making a competitor to ArmorAll, I do not remember if it was the "Son of a gun" BB73Challenger mentioned, said to not use any such product on the dash because it would cause a failure cycle unless you continued to use it.  Kind of like minoxodyl (sp) does for growing hair (use it, hair grows; stop using it, you hair falls out...).

The stuff did work somewhat to provide surface protection from UV, and would penetrate a little bit into the surface, replacing some of the "plasticizers" in the vinyl and making it a little softer.  If you stopped using it it would vaporize out (especially in sun/heat) and leave the material even more prone to cracking than if you had never used it due to the displacement of the original plasticizers.

Both also tended to make the surface slick and a little greasy-feeling.

It would also cause worse window fogging than the original plasticizers (a component of the 'new car smell' of the day) did as they leached out over time, so you ended up with more hard to clean film on your window interiors if your car was subjected to hot sun (or even just heat).

Since they were willing to indicate both ArmorAll _and_ their own product would have the same effect I took them at their word.

The company that started making dash-mats (carpet) in Las Vegas used to include a mylar roll you could trim to fit and put under the mat.  They stopped doing so (or so their salesman told me) when they found out the mylar trapped more heat against the dash (under the mat) and caused it to harden prematurely.

I think Carl Walski has indicated the only real preventative.