Author Topic: Really, we need a post minimum to sell here  (Read 3452 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Really, we need a post minimum to sell here
« on: August 10, 2008 - 04:48:55 PM »
I see lots of new people here and I am sure most are here for the same reason we are, people who can answer any question you have and do it with a smile, cars that have no equal and a tight knit family feel to the whole site. But the simple fact is there will always be sharks swimming along the fringe waiting to do their damage. Can the mods get together with the Admin and come up with some sort of criteria for gaining the right to sell stuff here? We need to circle the wagons and make sure the quick buck artists move on to easier prey.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Re: Really, we need a post minimum to sell here
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008 - 05:00:37 PM »
This subject has been discussed before with the folks that got ripped off on the carburetors. There are of course pros and cons. The fella that has a few nice parts, he's honest and not a member, but wants to get rid of them for a great price. We exclude him & we lose out. On the other side of the coin most scammers aren't gonna stick around to gain say 100 posts before they try to scam someone. So in the process we may weed out some scammers, but cut off the honest guy that just wants to get rid of a few old parts. That's the difficult part. Deciding which is the best route?? I really don't have an answer and would want the best of both worlds. How do we do that?? :clueless: I guess a poll on the board might be a start. I don't know how to set that up. Maybe someone that knows how could do it and see what the folks think is most important!! That would be a start! :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008 - 05:01:55 PM »
Are you saying that we're a bunch of Penguins amongst Sharks....?  :roflsmiley:

I am totally with you, we really should do something like this. Or if you want to post items for sale, lets say with a minimum if 75 Posts, you could pay a small fee that goes to the site costs..... BEFORE you sell.  :dunno:

just an idea  :thinkerg:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008 - 05:05:26 PM »
If he is an honest guy trying to get rid of a few parts then he should not mind having to stick around in this wonderful place right? Everyone likes a quickie now and then but the negatives far outweigh the positives. I have gotten to the point where I dont even consider a deal with a member I am not familiar with. Hey Wally, let us find a shark, then they will see how much ass a penguin can kick  :smilielol:
*Brett*

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008 - 05:07:33 PM »
I`m not really into buying parts...(yet),  but it seems to me the best deals come from respectable members selling to other respectable members who ask for stuff they need... :dunno:  
*** Bart ***

nivvy

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008 - 05:12:28 PM »
post minumum wouldnt work.... I could put up a hunderded posts in about 10 minutes of smileys and such replying to adds.... there is really nothing can be done about it... its just live spam.....  :2cents:

If you are buying something just ask for references if you like .....  :working:

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008 - 05:18:26 PM »
Hey Wally, let us find a shark, then they will see how much ass a penguin can kick  :smilielol:

:roflsmiley:

{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008 - 05:20:37 PM »
Guys, scammers and thieves are anywhere the action is. Even your local news paper could have an add in it that could leed you into a very bad experience.

You really just have to do all your home work as stated in all the back posts. No matter what, you cant keep it all out. Tighter rules in sales is about all we could actually do. Like if you are going to sell, and not a recognized member, then your profile must have the info required for area and contact. You must have a phone number , cell number, maybe work number. People who are actually selling and not scamming will make it very easy to be able to sell a part. The thing is, you need to take a little time, and do all the checking and verifiying you need before sending money. We just really cant start dictating what a new member must do to be here and participate. It is a free site.

Safety and security begins with you. Keep all questions in the site and not emailing. Private messages and page posting helps quite a bit.  Just dont buy from a new member if you feel you dont trust them. The ratio good to bad here is actually very good.

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008 - 05:28:13 PM »
As a mopar lover, but not a collector, I really appreciate a site like this that I can be a member of, but not neccessarily post to. As a member since dec 06', I have done alot of reading in guest mode. Most times I prefer to read all the other posts because, although I have some knowledge of the hobby, I am not the one to answer alot of the questions. Should I be given the right to post something for sale? I would hope so. Should I have to have 20-70 posts as as a senior member suggested we should have. I'm working on the count by the way, I'm not sure! Having said this, the issue of the scammers is a problem that will never go away. Site policing (the mods) and the general body are probably the best to ferret out the bad listings/bad members. The membership has proven to be helpfull to each others needs and that is something that the community should keep strengthening. I would gladly check something out for a member if its in my neck of the woods. To charge or put a minimum kind of puts a dent in the body of the community. Does it mean the site gets rebodied to rid a few bad apples. I hope not.
 :)
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008 - 05:38:16 PM »
I guess you guys are right. I guess also that suspicion is everywhere too, on both sides of the coin. Just sucks to know they are out there but knowing they are there is half the battle. Al is on to something with the member profile being current and legitimate. Then the spam bots can get all our personal info. Catch 22  :pullinghair:
*Brett*

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008 - 05:52:19 PM »
You have to be a member to see a profile. A guest cant view it anymore. This is one step we have done just recently. So a spam bot cannot view the email addresses unless you give them out. Knock would, but I rarely get anything but legit mail

Offline fantum

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008 - 07:37:17 PM »
I know Moparal has done this site a great service to date with his inner sense of who's good and who's not.  (Thanks, Al).

Just a thought.  Maybe we could develop a security team that would review new member/seller contact information.  Perhaps have new, unverified sellers provide phone, address, and DL information the team can verify prior to allowing the seller to list his/her items.  Perhaps, if another member is close enough, the team could arrange a meeting with the seller to further verify the legitimacy of the seller, as well as ensure the accuracy of the item(s) that will be sold by the seller.

fantum
Mike

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008 - 07:43:28 PM »
I don't like the minimum post thing.  I started buying parts first thing on this site.  Parts are actually the only reason I ever came here.  I needed a cuda and parts and this was the place to do so.  
  I don't like rules.  I really don't like rules, and the mroe rules there are the more people like me are not going to be interested here.  
  It took a lot of time for me to get up to 100 posts.  Some people just don't have the time to sit and read alot of stuff about the cars.  
This really comes down to each individual member being careful.  
I have been ripped off several times and have learned from each one.  Probably will happen again.  
  We just have to be careful on our own accord.  

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008 - 05:32:06 AM »
Block the for sale section for anyone with less than 75 posts, I reckon. I see it a lot on other sites - although normally it results in new members posting Ads in the wrong sections because thery dont quite understand the reasoning behind the rules.

sleepychallenger

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008 - 10:35:37 AM »
what about something like you can not create a new topic in the for sale area untill a certain number of posts. that way people looking for parts when they first join can still reply to a for sale ad and buy stuff but it keeps from new posts being created to sell items  :dunno: