Author Topic: why I love the mopar hobby  (Read 2076 times)

Offline plumcrazy704406

why I love the mopar hobby
« on: August 11, 2008 - 07:50:38 AM »
thought I would ask the world. For me,

1- Sox and Martin! The reason I bought my first mopar. :bigsmile:

This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

sleepychallenger

Re: why I love the mopar hobby
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008 - 10:33:31 AM »
1. the majority of the people in the hobby. (especially here)

2. The shape of the cars. like no other

3. the feel of the cars  :working: :burnout:

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008 - 11:19:25 AM »
My reason,

I "accidently" bought a 73 Cuda 340 mildly built with a 4 speed.  I'd owned all kinds of cars, from mild to wild and this was the first car that scared me to drive it hard.  A friend had a Hemi Satellite and it was a monster, can't argue with torque.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008 - 11:38:54 AM »
Speaking of Hemi Satellites,  when I was a kid I saw one with a 4 speed drive into the local track at McQuire AFB, uncap his headers and bolt on slicks he had in the trunk and beat all the trailered GM and Ford race cars. He got the big trophy (they didn't pay anything back then) and bolted his stuff back on and left and I never saw the car again. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008 - 08:33:53 PM by 71chally416 »
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008 - 08:14:00 PM »
Speaking of Hemi Satellites,  hen I was a kid I saw one with a 4 speed drive into the local track at McQuire AFB, uncap his headers and bolt on slicks he had in the trunk and beat all the trailered GM and Ford race cars. He got the big trophy (they didn't pay anything back then) and bolted his stuff back on and left and I never saw the car again. 

Great story!  Would love to see pics/vids of that car in action!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008 - 08:34:19 PM »
Speaking of Hemi Satellites,  hen I was a kid I saw one with a 4 speed drive into the local track at McQuire AFB, uncap his headers and bolt on slicks he had in the trunk and beat all the trailered GM and Ford race cars. He got the big trophy (they didn't pay anything back then) and bolted his stuff back on and left and I never saw the car again. 

I think those are the kinds of stories that made the Hemi such a legend. I bet it blew the "serious" racers minds when some kid showed up and cleaned their clocks with a street car lol.  :clapping:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008 - 08:43:38 PM »
There were some quick Chevys too, but they usually broke some drivetrain part before they could win enough rounds for the big trophy. They didn't all have 9" Ford rears in 1970.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008 - 09:10:59 PM »
I've met some really great people in this hobby, people seem to take care of eachother well. Most Mopar people are very open to other Mopar people...i've seen many ford and chevy guys get hostile about their car vs their car. Really shouldn't be that way, but I guess if there are ten-thousands of the same car in the area...someone has to be that way! Not all Mopar guys are perfect, there are a few die-hard "purists" that lift their nose to you and turn the other way when you have a modified mopar. But thats not too common.

Guess it is mostly the people and the individuality within muscle cars that I'm attracted to. Building a Mustang, Chevelle, Camaro, Corvette..they all seem to just blend into me. It's pretty rare a brand x will catch my eye at a show, I'm just not really attracted to them for the post part. Just seem to magnet to Mopars i guess!
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008 - 10:34:18 PM »
i always liked roadunners and chargers.saw my first superbird when i was about 13 lime green. didn't know what it was but dang it was sharp.a guy at church had several challys.funny thing is i didn't know much about bcudas till i got my first. been hooked on them ever since.

Offline ozrt4406

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008 - 06:52:07 AM »
MY REASON WAS I SAW THE MOVIE   "RUNNING ON EMPTY" A LONG TIME AGO , IS AN AUSTRALIAN MOVIE FEATURING A 70RT CHALLENGER THEN I JUST HAD TO HAVE ONE OR TWO OR THREE OR MORE.......
T/A AND R/T............... IM GREEDY.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008 - 09:01:36 AM »
I saw my first superbird when I was 4.   Here I am.  :faint:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008 - 09:15:20 AM »
I rode in the back seat of my dad's 1972 Cuda from San Diego, CA to Annapolis, MD when I was 11 months old.  I learned to drive in that car, and eventually became its primary driver in High School.

Dad got rid of it in 1998, but I longed for the day that I'd get one back.

Mission Accomplished.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008 - 04:53:36 AM »
  In my earlier years I noticed that the so called hot cars ( Holden (GM) & Frauds )were everywhere but when a Valiant showed up the others went backwards.   :burnout:
  When I started my Mechanics apprentship in the mid '60's I also found out how weak the frauds were mechanically and how strong the MOPAR's were. I was hooked, I did race a Holden and built a few for others but if a serious Valiant came along it was usually all over. There was very little performance equipment around for the Valiant here in Australia so we had to adapt and frabricate.   :working:
  At least now that the internet has open up we here in Australia can usually find what we want and have it shipped.   :woohoo:
  My son in law who is a fraud nut has great respect for all MOPAR's and is actually looking for a Cuda, not very hard at the moment as he has just become a Dad and bought a house.   :clapping:
Dave

Offline darkhawk

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008 - 11:22:03 AM »
Fell in love with the first Cuda I ever saw at 16 and have had the fever ever since.  Took 28 more years to finally get one but it was worth the wait.
Nigel
73 Cuda
65 Valiant Convertible
04 Dakota

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008 - 11:04:56 PM »
When I was a kid a neighbor down the street had a white over red 67 Charger that I watched drive by the house all the time.  That car mesmerized me for some reason and I've been a Mopar nut since.  I still want to own a 67 Charger!  :grinyes:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500