Author Topic: Brother hit an IED yesterday.  (Read 1534 times)

Offline go-fish

• Resident
Brother hit an IED yesterday.
« on: August 11, 2008 - 08:32:41 PM »
Life for me is just super exciting right now. Alot going on

I know it happens all the time and it is a reality out there. My unit has had numerous hits throughout deployments to the desert but this morning was a little close to home.

I got a text when I was in a leadership class this morning that I was sent back from the desert 1 week early to attend. It is a classroom setting and I had it on vibrate.
"Ur brother hit an IED"
I got up, left the room and called the wife and said, WTF? Can you give me a little more info?
She said my Dad called and said Kris was hit and was OK. He was back on mission. The blast killed a couple Iraqi bystanders and the HMMWV landed on some others.
I thought, what a way to get some info.
My bro is an Engineer from Ft LW, MO. I am relieved that he's alright. He wants to be a Sapper and I believe he is getting the school when he returns. I think he is a great leader and brings skill sets to the Army from day 1 that other guys had to learn from the Army.
He was 30 when he joined a few years ago and moved up extremely fast.
Sorry for the useless post but I am so proud of him and extremely relieved everything is fine. I'm kinda just braggin on him. I know he's not SF or anything but if he were to join earlier in life there is no doubt in my mind he would excelled at Ranger school. He still has the the same head on his shoulders, life hasn't been good to his body though.
5 Uncles served in Vietnam, 3 cousin's, my bro, and me have been in the desert at the same time and everyone has come out with all their fingers and toes so it's just nice to be another day that continues the streak.

Alaskan_TA

Re: Brother hit an IED yesterday.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008 - 08:34:14 PM »
Glad he is OK!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008 - 08:36:39 PM »
IED, has to be the most cowardly thing ever thougt up. I am glad your brother is ok.  :wavingflag:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008 - 08:46:32 PM »
That's all they have. Whenever they try to engage our military and fight they get wiped out.  :wavingflag:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008 - 08:48:08 PM »
...glad all is well....kinda hard sitting here in my living room in Indiana and relating to the daily "horrors of war"...we forget too easily that young men and women are putting their lives on the line daily for us to live free...thank you all for your work and sacrifices

USAF 1971-1974

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008 - 09:13:24 PM »
For those of you who are wondering WTH would make my wife send a partial message like that, I wonder the same thing. When she got my call to inquire about it I think she got the equivilent of a MWD barking into a phone.
"WTF, what's the deal?!?!? @$&*($#!?!?!".

So, now the update after I talked to my Dad. The moving on along and BANG...., IED. Multiple Towels fly due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time. HMMWV flips and ends up on top of several other Iraqis who were fortunate enough to be on the other side of the HMMWV as the charge. All occupants of the HMMWV alive. Some guys got it bad enough to be sidelined but not sent out. Brother tweeked his neck but is back on mission.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008 - 09:17:47 PM »
Your sacrifices are very appreciated. 
  Glad to hear all the guys were alright. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008 - 09:26:34 PM »
just saying thanks to all the vets out there for all I have over here......thank you

Offline salem1912

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008 - 09:28:03 PM »
Glad to hear your brothers ok You should be very proud of him. Please keep us informed, as stated above we back home quickly forget what going on over there.  :wavingflag:

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008 - 09:32:47 PM »
Well, I or one, am ready to get through all the excitement. It is always easy for me to adjust back to the "home-phase" life. I can turn the War mode on and off like a light switch. It really doesn't take me long because I have so much going on at home with the car, my daughter, guys in my squad to take care of.......
Deployment is like a shift at work, I go get it done and when I get off it is fun time. I am the kind to not bring home work. Some people have it and some remember stuff. I hope my bro turns out like me. Alot of me thinks he will have that lightswitch mentality but then again, I haven't been upended by an IED myself. I have seen friends in convoys take a charge and make it through but again, it wasn't me. This is his first deployment to boot.

I will be throwing alo of support and hugs his way. Also, before I didn't really worry about him because after all, I was in his shoes. Now I will worry until he gets back to Ft Leonard Wood.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008 - 09:36:21 PM by go-fish »

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008 - 10:03:57 PM »
Glad to hear your brother is alright.
Lets just hope things keep slowing down like they have recently and everyone gets back safely.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008 - 10:19:39 PM »
glad to hear your bro is ok. if it weren't for you, him and all the others in the various branches of service, past and present we would not be able to have the freedoms we enjoy today.on behaf of my family and many others i'd like to say THANK YOU for your sevice and may GOD keep you safe.

Offline az-nick

• NicksClassicParts
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008 - 11:07:30 PM »
wow, I was shocked when I read your message, my BP was rising with every word I was reading antiscipating the worst to come. I am glad he is safe and the rest of the other guys there were not harmed. I thank you and your family for the life you chose, to keep us safe here at home. My family prayers go out to you and your family, God Bless you all.....  :wavingflag:

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008 - 11:46:48 PM »
Glad to hear your brother ok.  :2thumbs:  Thanks to you and your brother for your service. And thank you to all the other men and women serving our country. :wavingflag:

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008 - 12:07:03 AM »
Your post was not useless.  Glad you took the time to tell us about your brother.  May God keep you all safe.   :angelwings:
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes: