Author Topic: What primer to use after media blasting?  (Read 12405 times)

Offline ambitions2

• ..we gunna make it to the finish line...
    • 72 Challenger EV-2 Project
What primer to use after media blasting?
« on: August 13, 2008 - 11:34:50 PM »
Well the time has finally come to get the car media blasted (I have talked about it, but I graduated from college in May and now have a full time job).  To get the car done it will be between 600 - 700, but if I had them primer the car it would be around 1000 to 1100.  I found out later the are open on Saturdays so I can be there when they are doing it.

I want to shoot the primer, but I was wondering what primer should I use in order to prevent flash rusting.  My intention is to prime the car and I will be doing the body work throughout the winter.  What type of primer should I be using?  Cheaper or a certain type?  I have heard a few guys say not to use etching primer at this point which makes sense.  Thanks guys.
Project: 1972 Challenger - 340 AT 8 3/4 3.23 gears
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtitan2220

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
Re: What primer to use after media blasting?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008 - 12:53:54 AM »
I have the same question.  Well put. 

Where are you located at?  That is  a good price for media blast. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline TripleBlack71Cuda

• Member since 3/21/2006
    • 1970 & 1971 Cuda Video
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008 - 01:49:41 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008 - 01:53:24 AM »
DP40 or DP 90 etching primer

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008 - 07:27:10 AM »
 :iagree: ... though I used DuPont VariPrime self etching
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline ambitions2

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008 - 07:52:07 AM »
I have the same question.  Well put. 

Where are you located at?  That is  a good price for media blast. 

I am located in Syracuse, NY.  The company that is doing it is called Carpenter Industries who has a variety of media which is another benefit.  The price will probably even be a little cheaper due to the fact I have stripped all the undercoating and the majority of the paint off the car. 

So I should be using etching primer? 

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008 - 07:59:45 AM »
Etching primer has good adhesion to bare metal but I don`t believe it will seal from  rusting so I would spray a couple coats DP 40 or 90 epoxy primer over it.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008 - 08:51:41 AM »
I thought dp40 or dp90 is an etching paint.?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008 - 09:25:31 AM »
Atleast the dp 40 is a two stage epoxy. I've been using dp 40 and it seems to be a decent paint, just remember to paint atleast two layers. I had some rust coming through from the places where the paint was bit thin.

I've been reading about the same question on our local car forum and the general opinion seems to be against the etching primer. The etching primer does adhere well to the bare metal but it won't stop the rust and also it needs a special sealer paint before it can be painted with anything else. This leads into problems when doing body work and accidentally sanding through the sealer and into the etching primer.

Personally I used the por 15 to the undercarriage after sand blasting and it seems to hold well there. It's bit tricky to use and could end in disaster if there is even a hint of oil/grease on the surface so the clean up is critical. If you need to do some sheet metal repairs I suggest that you would use dp40 or similar. Atleast por 15 is real PITA when welding around it.

1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008 - 12:31:17 PM »
Who said NOT to use etching primer afer sandblasting? That sounds odd. Perhaps they meant you don't HAVE to use etch if you go with Epoxy Primer, but Epoxy has it's limits too: I have ALWAYS used an etch alone, then a 2K highbuild for block sanding on bare metal. You'll need to spray them within a recoat window (generally 2-6 hours - read the tech sheets!), but that's usually not a problem as you'd do it all at once. If you use an Epoxy primer you would not need to use etch, but it's harder to sand than 2K. The Etch and epoxy highbuilds are 100% waterproof. The 2K is only 90% WP, but sands easily and goes on nicely, thus I chhose to etch then apply 2K for sanding. As far as breaking through to bare metal, if it's a large portion, I'd spray some etch from a spray bomb just prior to my next coat of high-build, otherwise I wouldn't owrry about it. Your car is generallly in-shop until painted, so waterproofing is not a concern. If you are going to drive it in primer, that's another issue!!
If the sandblasting shop is not too far away and it is a sunny day, you could take it home and clean it (wax and grease remover) then spray it yourself, however, you might be safest to have them do it. (The material alone is nearly $200.00).
Best of luck!

Offline ambitions2

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008 - 12:58:43 PM »
Thank you for all the responses.

I guess I am not being clear, the car is going to need a good amount of metal work (floor quarters trunk patches) so I will be cutting and cleaning up these areas.  I assumed that after the car was media blasted I would just want to "seal" the car to stop the car from rusting while I work on it. 

So with that being said, the general belief is I should be using an etching primer? I saw Kapteenikosmos's post and he stated the general opinion is AGAINST etching primer. 

Haha so what should I be doing?

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008 - 01:23:46 PM »
I like to use epoxy primer on everything I work on.  I'm cheap so I use Omni MP170 which is pretty much the same as the PPG DPLF epoxy primers.  Major differences are the topcoat window (~3 days for MP, ~7 days for DP), and color selection.
- Jerry

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008 - 02:07:07 PM »
i media blasted my car about 10 years ago then self etched primed it, it holds real well and is real easy to reapply after welding sanding or replacing fabricaticating parts...I used the por15 and it pealed right off( i heard i works real good on rusty surfaces just not real good on clean ones.  also you can go to your neigbohood stores and get the self etch primer in aresol for any quick sealing or woopsies...(I wouldnt recommend leaving your car as long as i have, but life kept getting in the way)

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008 - 02:07:17 PM »
Who said NOT to use etching primer afer sandblasting? That sounds odd. Perhaps they meant you don't HAVE to use etch if you go with Epoxy Primer, but Epoxy has it's limits too: I have ALWAYS used an etch alone, then a 2K highbuild for block sanding on bare metal. You'll need to spray them within a recoat window (generally 2-6 hours - read the tech sheets!), but that's usually not a problem as you'd do it all at once. If you use an Epoxy primer you would not need to use etch, but it's harder to sand than 2K. The Etch and epoxy highbuilds are 100% waterproof. The 2K is only 90% WP, but sands easily and goes on nicely, thus I chhose to etch then apply 2K for sanding. As far as breaking through to bare metal, if it's a large portion, I'd spray some etch from a spray bomb just prior to my next coat of high-build, otherwise I wouldn't owrry about it. Your car is generallly in-shop until painted, so waterproofing is not a concern. If you are going to drive it in primer, that's another issue!!
If the sandblasting shop is not too far away and it is a sunny day, you could take it home and clean it (wax and grease remover) then spray it yourself, however, you might be safest to have them do it. (The material alone is nearly $200.00).
Best of luck!

Well, I don't have any clear opinion by myself because I haven't ever used etching primers and this is my first car I'm working with so my knowledge in painting in any areas is quite limited. But as I stated, atleast here in Finland it seems that the general opinion starts to be against the etching primers and good epoxies are favored. But as in all cases, there can be as many opinions as there are painters and in my case I decided to use dp 40 after reading through the net.

For ambitions2, I wouldn't worry too much about the rusting if you are working inside. I'm doing mine in an old barn without any heating and have had almost zero problems with rust on sand blasted surfaces that were not covered with anything. This summer has been extra humid here in Finland and it has only caused some minor problems on some small parts that I had blasted but not yet painted. Get it painted with something that is easy enough to remove while welding and gives some basic protection against rust.

Have fun with the bodywork  :ylsuper:
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline ambitions2

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008 - 04:31:19 PM »
I read this in another post by hotrod98

Just be sure and check the guy out. Blasters can destroy a car in a hurry. I myself never blast the sheet metal. I usually just use a d.a. sander and 80 grit, then I blast the jambs and anything that is made of heavier metal than the skins.
You need to think about getting a bare metal primer on the bare metal as soon as posssible. Rust will start to form microscopically almost immediately unless you live in a desert area. Don't worry about the rust repair or body work until after the primer has been applied and don't use anything other than a bare metal primer. PPG has their epoxy DP series of primers in various colors and Sherwin-Williams has an acid etch primer called GBP that's only vailable in a greenish gray. Both work excellent.

Epoxy it is