Author Topic: I might have a hornett problem  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
I might have a hornett problem
« on: August 15, 2008 - 03:38:51 PM »
Look at the picture below.  I circled all of the hornetts in the picture so you do not miss any.  This was only three nights worth.  There were also several others I did not get in the photo.  I have blown the dead ones off twice before this picture.  They like to come to my light just outside my garage at night.  I have fould that the best way to kill them is to spray my light with hornett spray, which kills most of the insects that land on the light.  Then the hornetts eat the dead bugs and inturn die themselves. 

My question is: How do I find out where the nest is and kill the nest without getting stung?
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

sleepychallenger

Re: I might have a hornett problem
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008 - 04:10:45 PM »
 :poopoke:  :burnout:  sounds like a plan to me  :roflsmiley:

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008 - 04:28:30 PM »
you really have to follow some back to the hive.  That would be the only way to get the hive. 
  After you find the hive you will have to decide then how to get rid of them.  The last one I found I put a box under the hive and ran up to it with a floor scraper and cut it off of the overhang.  The hive fell into the box and I ran over and closed it.  Did all this without getting stung.  I put the box out at the end of the pasture of the homeowner whose house I was working on.  He saw the box way out there and decided to walk over and check what was in the box.  This was before I had a chance to tell him.  He opened it and got stung right away.  Anyway, they all died or went somewhere else once the nest was in the box. 
  Good luck, A little sting doesn't hurt too bad anyway. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008 - 05:00:01 PM »
"whew" for a minute there I thought you had purchased an AMC Hornet......  :stirpot:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline darkhawk

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008 - 05:16:02 PM »
I always use a product called Hornet/Wasp Blaster.  It allows you to spray the hive from up to 16 feet away.  You do it in the evening when they are all in the nest.  It works like a charm unless you don't have easy access to the nest.  The last one I found was under my deck approx 18 ft away.  Not sure how I'll get rid of that one short of waiting till it gets cold and crawling under there.  Good Luck!
Nigel
73 Cuda
65 Valiant Convertible
04 Dakota

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008 - 06:01:14 PM »
A few years back, mom called me up and said I have a yellow jacket swarm in the closet yard storage room. Can you help she said. I came over and I could see them going back and forth out of the room and into the yard. They were going back and forth like rush hour traffic on a Friday afternoon in the city.
So I went to the store and bought 2 bug bombs. buttoned up a long sleeve shirt all the way up. Put on big gloves, googles, dust mask, hat, and tied a towel around my head. I went in the closet room outside all ready with the bombs and man did they start gettin pissed off quick!
Started swarming my head instantly.

I lit the bombs, shut the door, towel at the bottom to block off and ran like hell as a cloud of them followed me for almost 5 minutes. Next day I came back and looked inside. I found their nest. They had a city the size of a bowling ball built inside of an Easter basket where she kept all her holiday stuff in.

I had to do it another time later; different place. 
Got stung a few times. Hornets don't quit once they get a bead on you, they stick like glue following you.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline RabidScott

• Work in Progress
    • waywardgarage.com
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008 - 06:29:59 PM »
We prefer carb cleaner and lighters....

1970 Dodge Challenger
13.9 @ 101 with stock internally 440, OD 4 speed, 3.23 LSD

WaywardGarage.com

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008 - 09:43:10 PM »
Hornets are some nasty boogers and can sting more than once. I hope you are successful in SAFELY getting rid of them. Oh, Josh......did your neighbor owe you money?? :roflsmiley: :smilielol: :roflsmiley:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008 - 09:50:19 PM »
No money, just a long due apology. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008 - 10:17:51 PM »
when you find the nest maybe cudaguy could sneek home a flame thrower.that would take care of it. :stirpot:

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008 - 10:27:00 PM »
its an easy find .i use the shake and run program .if there in a car tarp it and bomb it .or bring in a super bee that would do it . c

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008 - 10:52:24 PM »
 :iagree:
 :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: superbee......now thats a good one. but all b.s. aside i prefer bengal wasp and hornet.took out a 10 inch wasp nest at about 15 feet.they dropped like letting pea gavel out of your hand

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008 - 12:15:18 AM »
I use a mixture of dawn dish soap (or any other brand) and water in a spray bottle.  The soap closes the pores on the hornet, bee, wasp, or whatever insect you want to kill.  They suffocate almost immediately from the soapy water.  The soap spray won't cause you any harm unless you spray your eyes with it. 

Water spray bottle = 20 to 30 ounces of H2O
Dawn Dish Soap = about one tablespoon

To find their nest, try to follow their flight pattern.  Look around your garage up near the roof gutters for nests.  Look around vents in the garage roof.   Any damp rotted wood on the garage?   
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

hannah

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008 - 01:19:43 PM »
I always use a product called Hornet/Wasp Blaster.  It allows you to spray the hive from up to 16 feet away.  You do it in the evening when they are all in the nest.  It works like a charm unless you don't have easy access to the nest.  The last one I found was under my deck approx 18 ft away.  Not sure how I'll get rid of that one short of waiting till it gets cold and crawling under there.  Good Luck!

I have a can of this ready...just getting the courage to use it. Used it before for under the porch nests etc but this time it's going to be tricky Works great !!

Mom and dad have a triple garage the last door hasn't been open at all this year and I noticed billions of them all flying around and going under the space where door and cement meet. I have no clue where the actual nest is nor do I want to venture to that end of the garage to find out so am thinking I will just spray the stuff thru the crack.

The trick is waiting till they all go home in the evening. Still too much action for my liking as the sun is setting and then it is too darn dark to see what I am doing and not real interested to haul a light out and show myself clearly to them

Don't know how I am going to do this one...plus I am allergic but dang there are so many you can barely walk freely by the garage during the day am scared what they are building themselves for the winter !!

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008 - 03:27:04 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions and some of them were  :roflsmiley:   :2thumbs:

Just to make sure everyone is understanding exactly what I am talking about, I am talking about the big hornetts.  I am including a couple pictures so you can compare the size, and this one is about medium size.  There are bigger ones.

I do a sweep of the outside of my house a few times each summer to kill wasps, so I am not too worried about them. My house is only a three years old so I am not too worried about rotting wood on my house, but I do live in the woods, so I am sure there are dead trees all aroud the area.  My main problem is that I only see the hornetts at night so I am not sure how to follow them back to the nest.  Does anyone know of a food source that they might like, so I can watch where they come from and go to during the day?
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar