Author Topic: Replaced hinge pins in driver door.....That was fun.....NOT!!!  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Glennster

Replaced hinge pins in driver door.....That was fun.....NOT!!!
« on: August 17, 2008 - 07:01:50 AM »
I must begin by apologizing to all you '' Body Guys '' that I thought were charging too much, you all deserve a raise!
It's the same old story, it's easy, until I have to do it myself.
I'll try to get some pictures posted, my head picture poster is about to leave for his first year at Purdue(engineering). I need to get him to help me before we deliver him. We're leaving at 7:45 this morning.

It looks like the top pin had been replaced, there were bushings in that hinge, the lower pin looked to be original. Were there ever bushings on the original hinges?
I removed the bolts that hold the hinges to the door and went from there, I'm sure glad the passenger door isn't sagging..................................

Offline Glennster

Re: Replaced hinge pins in driver door.....That was fun.....NOT!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008 - 07:41:12 AM »

Offline Glennster

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008 - 09:04:35 PM »
After putting the door back on, I was lucky enough to have the door line up good. The sag is gone and there's no ''CLUNK'' as the door closes.
There is one problem, the door seems to be slightly sprung. As it gets 3'' - 4'' from latching, there's some resistance, like there's a spring holding it from closing. It's not too much pressure, but I don't think it's quite right. When I open the door, it kind of springs open.
Is there a simple cure for this???
I'm tempted to just leave it alone, any thoughts?????

Offline mikerallye

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008 - 11:25:02 PM »
Put some grease on the two cogs in your hand in the bottom pic.   :clapping:

Offline LAA66

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008 - 11:37:16 PM »
 Just a thought, check to see how the window is contacting the weather strip. Moving the door around will affect this also. Good to see you got the project done. :clapping:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008 - 11:55:37 PM »
Looks to me like you did a fine job!   :bananasmi

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008 - 11:55:49 PM »
 :cheers: Congrats on fixing the door sag. 

But I screamed  :scared: when I saw the screw driver on your hood.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Glennster

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008 - 06:35:35 AM »
I fear no screwdriver!!!!
You're right, I should never do that, I put a towel on the hood a few minutes later.
This car has been repainted, the second paint job is what you see here. The screwdriver probably wouldn't hurt it. It's not too good. I've got a guy that's going to do some touch up paint, then he's going to buff and wax it.

The car was not driver for the last 10 years, BUT, the guy started it every two weeks and let it run for 20 to 30 minutes. There is a residue from the exhaust fumes that is kind of impregnated into the paint. I've been able to get most of it off. I'm hoping that a good buff and wax will get it looking pretty good for now. it will be a year of two before I can get the paint job that this car deserves!!!!!!!!

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008 - 09:33:45 PM »
Looks like a great way to set-up the jack to hold the door.  Got anymore details on the actual replacement of the pins?  This project is in my future.

Thx

Offline Glennster

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008 - 10:03:41 PM »
Katfish,
 This was my first time at something like this, so I'm no expert.
The motorcycle jack made holding the door real simple. As you can see, I only removed the bolts that hold the hinges to the door. It just looked like the best way to attack it.
I had some real long punches that I got with some old tool boxes that I bought. They were worth a million in this project. Getting the old pins out takes plenty of banging! Long punches are a must!! If you'd like to borrow them, I'd be glad to lend them to you. UPS is cheap.

Pulling the door off gave me a straight shot at drilling the hinges. I drilled with a bit that measured .410'', the outside measurement on the bushing was .419''
 I liked the idea of drilling a little small, I figured I could always open it up, it's hard to make the hole smaller. I put the bushing in the freezer and put a ''LITTLE '' heat on the hinges. This made the bushing fit a little easier.
 I also used Anti-Seize on everything that moves in the hinge area.

I think I was real lucky, when I finally lined up all the bolts and got them tight, the door worked very good. I was told to plan on 1 - 2 hours of adjusting to get the door to close right.
I hope this helps. If you need punches, call 574-596-7755, ask for Glenn.
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008 - 10:27:56 PM »
Forgive my ignorance,  where exactly do you drill, and where do the bushing go?

Thx for the offer, I may just take you up on that.

Offline Glennster

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008 - 06:39:35 AM »
Did I mention that you have to remove the door to have enough room to beat the hinge pins out?

You drill the hinges. The hinge pin is the part of the hinge that the door pivots on. Once you beat the hinge pins out of the hinges, you will see the holes that the pins were in. These are the holes that you will drill. The hinges do not come from the factory with bushings in them. The factory hinge pin holes are the part of the hinge that wears out and allows the door to sag. You drill these holes out so that this new bushing will fit in the larger holes.
 You will only drill the hinges on the car side, DO NOT drill the hinges that are bolted to the door.
I'll see if I can post so pictures that might explain it better. You also have to do a little grinding on the door side hinges, this is done to allow room for the bushings to fit into the door side hinge. once you install the bushings on the car side hinges, the overall height of that hinge will be bigger. The bushing sticks out of the hinge a little at the top and bottom. You have to grind the inside of the door side hinge to allow for the taller stack height of the car side hinge.
 Ask more if you need further clarification. I'm not sure if I explained this very well..............

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008 - 06:58:30 AM »
OK, I'm starting to get the picture.  What bushing kit did you use?

Thx

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008 - 09:30:34 AM »
NO FAIR....YOU CHEATED...THAT'L BE 150 DRIVER POINTS & A 3 RACE SUSPENSION  :stomp:

Your suppose to struggle like the rest of us!!!  :lol:

Great work Glennster  :thumbsup:

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Glennster

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008 - 03:15:42 PM »
bullitt99 ---  Thank you!

Katfish,
 I got mine at the NAPA store, they did not have it in stock, it came in the next day. Part number 675-5150, it comes with 2 pins, a short one for the top hinge and a long one for the bottom. You also get 4 bushings, they go on the top and bottom side of the car side hinge.
  Ask all the questions you need, I've got tons of help from sites like this. It's nice to be able to contribute a little bit.

You ought to do a search on hinge pins on this site, I think I got some info that way...................................