Author Topic: Model wanted  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Robchally

Model wanted
« on: August 18, 2008 - 03:54:40 AM »
I can't find a 1:18 or 1:24 steel model of a 72 Challenger. Lots of 70 and 71, no steel models of 72. Don't want a plastic glued one.

Not available?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Model wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008 - 05:48:07 AM »
I've never seen them.   :grinno:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008 - 08:14:11 PM »
There was a '72 Motown missile 'CUDA out there in 1:18 but that's the only '72 - '74 E body I know about
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008 - 10:01:52 PM by 360cuda »

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008 - 09:18:38 PM »
I've yet to see a 72-74 metal model.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008 - 09:48:06 PM »
Never seen a metal one seen lots of 70 and 71s.  It took a lot of search to find a 73 plastic one (had to go to Japan to find one).

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008 - 10:35:23 PM »
This is the only '72 - '74 E body I have ever seen that is metal      (Ertl)

No Challengers '72 up that I know about
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008 - 09:51:10 PM by 360cuda »

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008 - 01:48:41 AM »
I can't find a 1:18 or 1:24 steel model of a 72 Challenger. Lots of 70 and 71, no steel models of 72. Don't want a plastic glued one.

Not available?

Several years ago ERTL, the company that made the American Muscle series of 1:18 scale cars, was planning on making a '72 Challenger.  I was told that they were working on the tooling.  Some hobby sites on the internet even had advertisements for a '72 Challenger, but no pic as they stated that the model hasn't come out yet.  I later contacted ERTL and for some reason or other, the idea was scrapped.

The thought of making a '72 Challenger has come to my mind many times.  I picked up a couple "Fast and the Furious" Challengers with hopes of someday   ::)  turning one of these into a '72 model.  With some plastic styrene from the local hobby store it may be able to be done.  It might look like Franenstein, but it might be able to be done.

As far as plastic goes, yes, there are several 1/24 scale kits out there.  Each not accurate in their own way but it's better than nothing.  The signature pics I have are of the ARII kit from Japan.  I like this one the most in that it has opening hood and doors.  The engine and interior (See right sig. pic.) is not that accurrate, engine not that good at all actually.  The slotted wheels that come with the kit are nice but the Magnum 500s aren't so hot so I swapped them out from another kit.

The coolest thing is that about 30+ years ago, one time only did my brother and I ever work on model cars together, I made the Otaki version (Rock Machines of Hawii) of the ARII Challenger model and I still have it to this day.  Odd to think that when I was little, I would make a model of a car I would eventually own.  :D
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Robchally

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008 - 06:27:23 AM »

Well, I think I need to do the labour for a plastic model. The second one Bullit showed us is a good option(thanks Bullit)). I will get me one.

@super bleu:

Way back then, my brother was at school and was bored. He went out, got to a book store and bought a copy of Collectible Automobiles magazine. So far so good.
In 1998 I bought a clone '71 Superbee. When my brother saw the car he said: I've seen this one before!  He went in the attic searching all of the mess etc. And re-found that particular edition of the magazine. And yes: my car was the exact copy of that car. When he married, this Superbee was of course his ride! (luckily his wife was/is  car-crazy as well)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008 - 11:18:35 AM »
Very cool story!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline Robchally

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009 - 04:05:19 PM »
I finally got one!! A real plastic one :wow:

I've been grinding on my seat-frames all day, while being allergic for the resin in the grinding-discs.
So my wife does not allow me yet to have a sniff the glue of the model :swear:
Well, that leaves me a nice opportunity to get a beer or five

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009 - 06:43:15 PM »
Several years ago ERTL, the company that made the American Muscle series of 1:18 scale cars, was planning on making a '72 Challenger.  I was told that they were working on the tooling.  Some hobby sites on the internet even had advertisements for a '72 Challenger, but no pic as they stated that the model hasn't come out yet.  I later contacted ERTL and for some reason or other, the idea was scrapped.

The thought of making a '72 Challenger has come to my mind many times.  I picked up a couple "Fast and the Furious" Challengers with hopes of someday   ::)  turning one of these into a '72 model.  With some plastic styrene from the local hobby store it may be able to be done.  It might look like Franenstein, but it might be able to be done.

As far as plastic goes, yes, there are several 1/24 scale kits out there.  Each not accurate in their own way but it's better than nothing.  The signature pics I have are of the ARII kit from Japan.  I like this one the most in that it has opening hood and doors.  The engine and interior (See right sig. pic.) is not that accurrate, engine not that good at all actually.  The slotted wheels that come with the kit are nice but the Magnum 500s aren't so hot so I swapped them out from another kit.

The coolest thing is that about 30+ years ago, one time only did my brother and I ever work on model cars together, I made the Otaki version (Rock Machines of Hawii) of the ARII Challenger model and I still have it to this day.  Odd to think that when I was little, I would make a model of a car I would eventually own.  :D
The idea was probably scrapped as ERTL has stopped making diecast cars.  They still make toys but, anything diecast will be part of a play set or the likes.  A company called AutoWorld has leased some of the molds from ERTL and is producing some nice stuff, many with much more detail than the original ERTL releases.  I think it will be a loooooooooooong time before we a 72 e-body (besides the Missile already mentioned in the thread) in diecast.

Sean

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009 - 10:38:22 PM »
Interesting info, Sean.  Sad to hear they won't be making diecast anymore...  :(

Offline Locomotion

• IHRA Stock/Footbrake ET
    • Locomotion Racing
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009 - 01:45:04 PM »
I finally got one!! A real plastic one :wow:

I've been grinding on my seat-frames all day, while being allergic for the resin in the grinding-discs.
So my wife does not allow me yet to have a sniff the glue of the model :swear:
Well, that leaves me a nice opportunity to get a beer or five

What company and scale did you find? How much?

I have a pair of '72 Challenger models - an unassembled  Otaki 1/24 scale (even has an electric motor) and a "barely started assembly" MPC 1/25 scale Dick Landy Pro Stocker.