Author Topic: Welding up rear panel  (Read 1568 times)

Offline inviolet

Welding up rear panel
« on: August 18, 2008 - 01:41:03 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone ever tried filling in the seems on Dutchman Panel under the rear window on a Cuda before. I'm restoring my 70 Cuda and I'm going the way of the pro-touring theme. I have already welded up the antenna hole and was looking to also weld up the seems between rear panel thats under the rear window and above the trunk. I feel it gives the car a sleeker look when those seems are gone. My concern is if I weld up this panel it will crack or maybe even crack the skin coat of bondo on top. I think maybe one of the reasons the panel seems are not filled from the factory is because the body needs to flex at those points to avoid stress cracks. Has anyone ever tried this before? ???

Here's a picture of a camaro that has the seems filled in, notice that it has started to crack a bit, but it does look sleek filed in. Tough Choice.  :clueless:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Welding up rear panel
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008 - 03:53:12 PM »
I've seen people do it on Challengers. That seam really serves no purpose.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008 - 04:00:49 PM »
I think someone on here was planning on doing it but I do not remember who it was.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008 - 05:27:57 PM »
I don't see why not. The Factory convertibles came that way.

You probably want to really hit it good with a MIG and reinforce the area under the rear window seal and trunklid seal.
Lead is the right way to finish it off to avoid cracks

Offline leithal

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008 - 06:23:37 PM »
My concern would be warping the panel.  I would look into the lead free product offered by Eastwood.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008 - 06:27:25 PM »
I don't see why not. The Factory convertibles came that way.

You probably want to really hit it good with a MIG and reinforce the area under the rear window seal and trunklid seal.
Lead is the right way to finish it off to avoid cracks
I've never personally seen it done on a Cuda, but I don't see why not.  Just be absolutely sure that it is all set before paint.  At some point a previous owner did this to the rear valance of our Challenger, and they seam cracked.  Not pretty.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008 - 07:04:10 PM »
Mine was filled in.  I actually told them to NOT fill it clean it out.  I guess it was lost in translation.  Looked good but it is already cracked a bit. :faint:

Tom :crazy:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline stinger

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008 - 07:43:18 PM »
3M panel bonder would be my suggestion.clean it out real good and fill it.

Offline inviolet

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008 - 10:03:46 AM »
Mine was filled in.  I actually told them to NOT fill it clean it out.  I guess it was lost in translation.  Looked good but it is already cracked a bit. :faint:

Tom :crazy:

Do you know if they welded the seems up? Sounds to me like it may be like this on purpose from the factory to re-leave twist and stress cracks. Most cars from the 70's came with this panel not filled in. On the other hand I know XV Motorsports fills there panel in on there Challengers, and they drive those cars pretty hard. I need to decide soon, fill in panel or leave it alone.  :-\

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008 - 10:40:35 AM »
For what it's worth I left mine unfilled when I had my car repainted this past winter.  When done correctly the filled seams gives it a nice look, but I would think there is a much greater likelihood that the filled seam will crack eventually if not done right.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008 - 01:25:22 PM »
I do not think they welded it by the looks.

Tom :villagers:

I bet it was for ease of assembly that the seam is there, a break for the quarters and dutchman to connect. 
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008 - 03:23:48 PM »
I`ve seen many factory style installation with cracks so I decided to weld it up and grind back it to original looks.  I don`t like the seam gone, but I don`t like cracks either. Can`t tell if it will hold since I`m still building my car, but I`m pretty sure it will.
take your time welding and it won`t warp. If you make sure you have the panel welded in the original spots as well, I`m sure you can fill the rest with bondo and won`t get in trouble.
*** Bart ***

Offline inviolet

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008 - 10:51:48 AM »
To avoid cracks, I think the best would be to mig weld it or use led, both are not easy to work with. In the end, I'm afraid that any skin coat of bondo or filler will lead to cracks from the torsion/twist of the car. Does Eastwood sell anything that can be used instead of led that will have the same strength. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008 - 10:37:57 AM by inviolet »

Offline leithal

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008 - 11:28:29 AM »
I believe they have a lead free body solder that is designed to fill gaps and small holes.  http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=14773&itemType=PRODUCT