Author Topic: TA hood info  (Read 1108 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
TA hood info
« on: August 18, 2008 - 02:39:50 PM »
Well, I was planning on buying the Harm's steel TA scoop when I become gainfully employed again, but apparently that idea is kaput  :dunno:

So I'm back to fiberglass. What are your thought on the good and the bad of repro TA hoods?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

nivvy

Re: TA hood info
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008 - 02:48:50 PM »
dont buy up22 stuff..........  :2cents:

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008 - 03:13:39 PM »
 :iagree: I have one on my car and it is utter crap. It doesn't fit at all. The best one that I have heard about are sold on ebay. The guy is in texas and they are white (you'll have to paint it of course).
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008 - 03:41:05 PM »
Yep that's the one.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Samuelson1022

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008 - 04:17:35 PM »
ya I bought one from them.  Just be careful of the shipping company forwardair if they still use them.  They put some minor nicks in the hood and were a pain to deal with.  Other than that the hood is of a pretty good quality.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008 - 04:31:00 PM »
Samuelson, how did you handle that? Return the hood or refund the shipping? They do still use forwardair, by the way.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008 - 08:44:01 AM »
I agree, since you are not "restoring" a car that is an awesome hood. Reason I say that is because they are actually a lot better than the originals as far as finish goes.  I used it on my Pro Street.  Bought the lighter hood springs from AAR Fiberglass.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008 - 10:32:24 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys. Gary, that is one sharp looking car.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Samuelson1022

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008 - 02:29:31 PM »
Well it was about an hour and a half drive to forwardair's pickup spot and the hood was saran-wrapped on a crate.  I had to wait another hour at the place because they weren't gonna let me take it because the ebay account was under my mom's name.  Even though I had valid ID proving I was her son, my mom still had to fax a copy of her drivers license to the place.  They finally let me have it and I didn't have time to inspect it cause I asked my buddy to drive his truck out there as a favor.  By the time I got all the way back and unwrapped it I noticed the blemishes, but I had had enough of their company (forwardair) and just said forget it.  I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to complaining.

But really the blemishes were nothing horrible, and would probably be smoothed over with some quick block sanding.  The vertical piece that seperates the nostrils in the scoop was slightly off symmetrically, but for a reproduction I'd say itspretty good.