Author Topic: Ledger green in 1968?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline AllGreen70RT

Ledger green in 1968?
« on: August 20, 2008 - 10:59:39 PM »
Does anyone know if the green stripes in 1968 are the same color as the Ledger Paper Green stripes in 1970? I met the original owner of a 68 GTX who says his car had green stripes originally (their not on the car now). He thinks they were Ledger Green, but also thinks they were darker then mine. He's thinking about putting the stripes back on and I'm trying to help him out.

Alaskan_TA

Re: Ledger green in 1968?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008 - 11:33:48 PM »
The 1968 pin stripes were painted on. It is very doubtful that they matched the later tape stripe color.

The 1968 pin stripe paint code for green is at the bottom of this page;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/paintChipCharts/_1968PaintChipCharts-01.shtml?load_img=3

Offline kissalien

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008 - 10:29:28 AM »
Barry, I believe that he's talking about the lower racings stripes on '68 GTXs. I don't think anyone can tell you if the colors are the same as I'm not convinced that the colors offered today are really the same as the originals. I have never seen documentation stating what color 3M vinyl was used (or whatever company it was) and whether the vinyl still exists today and is what is being used on the repros.

For the one GTX I have seen with green stripes it doesn't appear that the colors were the same but you have to take into account fading, etc. The blues and reds do look the same in both cars, GTX and Challenger) that I've seen because they are all reproductions. Who knows what the originals should be like.

As for the name ledger paper green, that was coined by Performance Car Graphics. Same with tomato red and peacock blue. Mopar only called them red, blue and green. The GTX stripes that I saw did resemble ledger paper. Very pale green. The Challenger stripes aren't like that. More like a pea soup green to me.

I wish I had original stripe samples of all colors, but alas I don't and doubt that I ever will (of any color). :(

The only NOS stripes I've ever been offered are T/A ones. I should have bought them, but I didn't want to deprive an owner of a T/A from having the chance.

Offline kissalien

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008 - 10:31:50 AM »
PS> He'd probably have to have the stripes custom made as I don't think anyone has them.

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008 - 11:32:57 AM »
PS> He'd probably have to have the stripes custom made as I don't think anyone has them.

Challenger Gary recently found some Ledger Green and can probably make them.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008 - 11:48:59 AM »
Actually  I worked with SilverChally to get the correct color green made and I believe the sample we used to color match came from AllGreen70RT.  You could say it was a real community effort  :2thumbs:
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline AllGreen70RT

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008 - 12:54:30 PM »
Barry, I believe that he's talking about the lower racings stripes on '68 GTXs. I don't think anyone can tell you if the colors are the same as I'm not convinced that the colors offered today are really the same as the originals. I have never seen documentation stating what color 3M vinyl was used (or whatever company it was) and whether the vinyl still exists today and is what is being used on the repros.
Correct I am referring to the racing stripes.
I know I have the correct green for 1970 because 3M confirmed the color when they custom made the material for me back in 1990. I'm hoping someone can tell me if the same color was used in 1968.
Alien if you would like a sample of the green let me know I have plenty.

Actually  I worked with SilverChally to get the correct color green made and I believe the sample we used to color match came from AllGreen70RT.  You could say it was a real community effort  :2thumbs:
Yes I did provide the sample.
SilverChally we need pictures of the stripes on the car. :picture:

Offline kissalien

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008 - 01:07:00 PM »
Thanks, I sent you a PM.  Can 3M confirm the colors used still?

Offline AllGreen70RT

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008 - 05:45:06 PM »
Thanks, I sent you a PM.  Can 3M confirm the colors used still?

I don't know. They helped me out back in 1990 and I don't recall the name of the person I dealt with. They did have samples of the various colors because I was with him when he compared my sample to what they had in their books. The gentleman that helped me worked at the 3M facility in Southfield Michigan. I won't forget that because after calling all over the country for a couple of months trying to get help with the stripes, the person who made up the material for free was located 1/4 mile down the road from were I worked at the time.

Offline kissalien

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008 - 10:46:10 AM »
That's a pretty cool story. Odd how it often works that way in life. :)