Author Topic: Welp, I burnt myself out...gonna idle  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Welp, I burnt myself out...gonna idle
« on: August 21, 2008 - 06:45:13 PM »
Installed the dana last night, got up early and went and had the driveshaft shortend. It was a 100 mile round trip, so I waited while they did the work. Got back and put the car together, then went for a ride. While riding something just took me out of the mood and I turned around, pulled up to the shop, locked it all out and went to take a shower and clean up. I am just numb with always tinkering with stuff. I fix stuff all the time on the job, then get home and do 16 hr days. Nothing seems fun right now. So I am going to do nothing. This will be hard, but I feel I gotta slow down and just take it all in.

I seem to have just burnt out. Cant feel any excitement.  I was excited when I installed the dana and right up to test driving it. Then a thought came through and said...Well?  You got your dana...big deal. Did you need to have it?  Then I went to missing the 8 3/4 and started wondering why I just stuck a grand into the rearend of my car for no reason. Like I was addicted or something. 1 grand for this dana. So I decided to just coast and let things set. Not sure if it is a day a week or a month, but I am going to just stay out of my shop and figure out what just happend to me for such an abrupt turn around in my way of thinking.  

I think a lesson I just may of learned was to quit spending money on this car and learn to maybe enjoy what I have and when I'm ready...drive it. It's not a perfect car, not a show car, just an eveyday run around town 440 six pack 4 spd car built to enjoy and drive.  The addiction is over. 1 grand would of went for 1/2" plywood to finish sealing the whole shop to have a warmer/cooler climate controlled work place.  1 grand pays off 1 small credit car. 1 grand pays for a trip to get away for the weekend. 1 grand buys a new weed eater,push lawn mower , paint , and the wife new curtains. Granted I have that money now, but I could of used this money. I didnt need a dana. I wasnt going to blow up the 8 3/4. Now I got 2  8 3/4's a dana like 3 extra sure grips and other un usable parts. Nope, not going to do anything right now except ponder on the thought as to why I spend money on things that are not important.

I know I'm thinking out loud, but sometimes it takes just that to try to understand what drives your inner self and what motives do I have and why. The car runs and drives and has no rust on it. It is worth the same today as it was yesterday before all the work I did. It's not forsale, start trying to relax and enjoy the days for a change. I dont have to work every single day of the week. Time to start looking at the scenery and enjoy what is now and not could be later.

Sorry for :horse: with bordum. I got a headache as it is. Think I'll go play my flatop and just fire up the bbq grill.  

Offline DAYTONA

Re: Welp, I burnt myself out...gonna idle
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008 - 07:02:16 PM »
...I know the feeling....I have a big garage and too many cars....sometimes it seems to be a chore instead of fun....I just walk away for a while and when I go back, it's all new and fun again

Offline Beck

• BECK KUSTOMS
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008 - 07:14:15 PM »
"...just an everyday run around town 440 six pack 4 spd car"

sounds like a dream car to me! i'm sure it won't be long before the passion builds up and driving that machine sounds like the best idea in the world.

take it easy mate, all the best!

p.s. so what you planning on doing with those spare suregrips?  :naughty: ha ha, hint hint (i dream of two wheel burnouts...  :burnout:)

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008 - 08:03:33 PM »
I know what you mean

You need to go to the local show on the weekend and have everyone drool over your car!!  That should snap you out of it real fast!!!

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008 - 08:03:45 PM »
"...just an everyday run around town 440 six pack 4 spd car"

sounds like a dream car to me! i'm sure it won't be long before the passion builds up and driving that machine sounds like the best idea in the world.

take it easy mate, all the best!

p.s. so what you planning on doing with those spare suregrips?  :naughty: ha ha, hint hint (i dream of two wheel burnouts...  :burnout:)

A brand new 391 I got forsale in the parts section

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008 - 08:25:45 PM »
You need to take a nice hot show and take a break and maybe bbq some good ribs or burgers and enjoy some time relaxing. Working too much is not good because if you don't have time to enjoy life then why work so much??  If it brings you pleasure to buy a dana then buy it and forget about how much it costs.  One day we'll all be in the ground and it won't even matter. Enjoy and live life and if your Mopars bring you happiness then so be it. I think you have to try and not work so much because then you get burned out. Most of us need to work but it's not worth working too many hours and letting life pass you by. I have gone to many car shows and some cars have TONS of money in them and I am sure the owners could have spent their money on more practical things but if it makes them happy then so be it. I am sure if many of us stop to think about how much we had in our cars it would take some of the joy outta the hobby. Maybe start a hot tub fund and when you have enough saved go out and buy one if you don't have one already. Then when you get tired and start feeling a little depressed and questioning why you are buying goodies (wish I had a dana) get in that tub and forget about work and RELAX.
1974 Barracuda

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008 - 08:30:24 PM »
I know what it's like to get burned out. Last weekend we took the RR to a show in St Cloud Min. We went with the intent to sell it. I only have room for 3 cars and we now have 3. I really want a new Challenger and something has to go. We came within $1000 bucks from selling the RR. I figure I gave up enough ground and the buyer would'nt come up so we brought it home. I want to get rid of an old one to buy the new one. It'll have air and other comforts plus I'm getting tired of working on the older ones now. All I've done is like you, work on cars for the past 45 years. I just want a new car to drive and enjoy.

Sorry for the ramble!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your free time while you can.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008 - 09:11:44 PM »
Alan, You need to learn to relax a little.  :cheers:  So where are the pics of your new shirt ?  :bigsmile: 

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008 - 09:19:31 PM »
Hi Alan,
I too work a ton of OT and also spend way too much on the car. I don't work near as much as you. I'd be burned out at half of your pace. I know I quit doing as many car shows. It's just too much. I enjoy looking at cars, but then again I too just think, "Haven't I looked enough?" I've gotta admit, I, like many have been obsessed with the Tool Time Tim "More Power" phase.  :woo:I put on a better carb, I want a bigger one, I put on ported heads, I want aluminum ones. I put in a new hydraulic cam, I want a roller.....see where this goes!! I do like you just did. I chill out for a while and then like Daytona says, "It's fun all over again". Especially when you're in your wife's station wagon and a punk kid in a Honda blows you off the road. Guess what ya get out of the garage again? Cars are my passion and it's what gives me pleasure...most of the time. Get some rest Al. Regain your perspective. Get yourself balanced. That's what it's about. You gota balance out all the things in life. God 1st, family 2nd, cars 3rd. Take the wife on a cruise!! I'll keep your car for you while you're on the cruise!!! :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

Matt B.
Matt

nivvy

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008 - 09:21:15 PM »
al I get burned out myself and once i recharge im out there all the time.....  :2thumbs:

Dana 60's rock and everthime you go to a car show dana 60 is a wOW factor....  :working:

youll know when its time to go back out.....  :2cents:

my buddy at work saves every penny he has etc... and spends nothing.. he listens to dave ramsey to much  :smilielol:

He lives to work not work to live ....  :sly:

people like that save up like 50 million and walk outside and get hit by a bus or something..........  :2cents:

just take a break....................  :2cents:

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008 - 09:44:28 PM »
burned out! pretty tough words to admit to! we all get to that point at some time and it makes us think of our priorities and getting them in order. take a break and see whats on
the other side. Remember you can't take it with you! enjoy yourself while your here, because when your gone the banks don't listen!  :)

kick back Al! You deserve it!  : :cheers:
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008 - 10:20:16 PM »
I know how ya feel Alan, especially the no excitement part/  I own a boarding kennel and the summer is our busiest time of the year.  I care for 70-75 dogs everyday from June-Labor Day.  I am usually going 7 days a week and I still have to take care of pretty much everything at home.  When I do get a chance to relax before bed I can't even seem to do that because of all the thoughts that are running through my head about what I have to do the next day.  I am burnt out, mentally and physically.  I haven't even been posting here cause I can't keep my eyes open when I am on the computer.  On the bright side, I know my hell is coming to an end soon.  We slow down for a while after Labor Day, when the kids go back to school.  Alan, you have to make yourself slow down.  Life is no fun when you are unable to enjoy it, at least a little bit.  Relax and take it easy for a little while.  You will feel much better. 

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008 - 10:25:53 PM »
A Dana weights a lot more than the 8 3/4 and it takes more HP to
turn because of the increased rotating mass of the axels and internals. Then the added weight of the whole assembly will have a negative effect on handling and car ride. It looks cool, and it's no doubt stronger, but it's not gonna help the ET or handling or ride. And if anything goes wrong with it, like the posi unit, it's a holly pain in the butt to work on. (You already knew all this...)

I've been screwing with cars off and on since HS in the 70's. I'm at the point now that I don't change nothin' on mine unless I know for sure it's gonna make it run, stop or handle better. I won't even buy rims unless they weigh less then the ones I take off and have some positive performance advantage. For $1,000? it better put a big smile on my face too the first time I drive it. I feel your pain. :2cents:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Beck

• BECK KUSTOMS
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008 - 10:34:00 PM »
hey moparal, your inbox is full.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008 - 11:10:15 PM »
It's better to burn out than to fade away -Bob Dylan

You need a cruise!!!!