Author Topic: Did you Know it takes less than 2 hrs to convert to electronic ignition?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Actually less than an hour.   It was so simple.  Only 2 wires on a harness. Change a resistor, change distributor, and time it. Even having to undo the six pack top fuel line to get the vaccum advance away from it. The engine runs crisper now. All this was under 100 bucks including tax.  It was even 24 bucks cheaper than that for me since wade gave me a new harness.   Thanks Wade :wave: 

I was happier doing this task more than installing my dana. The ignition was needed the dana wasnt :cheers:

Offline LAA66

Re: Did you Know it takes less than 2 hrs to convert to electronic ignition?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008 - 09:59:11 PM »
 I couldn't figure it out way back when but a friend spent the time for me.  :thumbsup: I still have most of that set up on my car after 20 some-odd years. All I remember was it sure was nice to not adjust points anymore. (both of them).

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008 - 01:09:27 AM »
Glad it worked out for you Alan...... Did you get your rear sway bar figured out?

Wade
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008 - 03:09:04 AM »
I did it in 6 mins on a bet once

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline sadil340

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008 - 07:14:47 PM »
I used the YearOne conversion engine harness for 1970 - does anyone happen to know if my factory tach will work? I know AutoInstruments will convert the tach for $85 but I wonder if YearOne made accommodations for the analog tach...
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008 - 07:37:09 PM »
Well mine is a 70 point system, I converted over to electronic. My tach acts normal or maybe even a tad more responsive. Factory gauges :2thumbs:

Offline sadil340

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008 - 08:06:44 PM »
Well mine is a 70 point system, I converted over to electronic. My tach acts normal or maybe even a tad more responsive. Factory gauges :2thumbs:

Same here; that's encouraging, thanks Al!
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline duodec

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008 - 12:10:08 AM »
Switching from the factory points setup to the DC electronic was almost the first thing I did to my '71.  It made a noticeable difference, but partly because the original distributor was pretty worn.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008 - 02:33:32 AM »
Congrats on stepping up to 1972 technology.  :2thumbs: I'd go with one of the modern units that has a built in rev limiter and a much better spark before using the old factory stuff. It's probably even easier to hook up. You can have too much cam and too much compression and even too much carb, but you can never have too much spark.  I had a dead wire one time with one of my cars that had the chrome box and watched my 70 YO father in law (RIP..) pull each wire and hold it. Some of those old timers were really tough. I can safely say he wouldn't dare try that with the ignition I have now. :scared: 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline LAA66

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008 - 08:54:25 PM »
 I'm running the FBO setup with the same distributor (re-curved though) which made a very noticeable improvement over the old electronic ignition with the orange box. It did cause distortion in the readings from my rebuilt factory tach though at lower RPMs.