Author Topic: Magazine Storage  (Read 685 times)

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
Magazine Storage
« on: August 26, 2008 - 08:02:44 PM »
  Back 20+ years ago, i had a nice comic book collection numbering nearly 8,000. They were all resting on acid free backing boards in proper comic bags in 300ct silver age sized long boxes. The boxes were purchased as being able to hold 300 comic books but when you factored in the bags and backing boards my number dropped closer to 250 per box. The collection was sold off long before the recent superhero movies rejuvenated interest in the books they are based on.
  Some of us have impressive 'libraries' and i'm curious as to how everyone stores - read protects - their respective books.

Russ
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008 - 08:04:35 PM by onefornow »
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline CrazyPete

Re: Magazine Storage
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008 - 10:22:46 PM »
i guess im either cheap or lazy i use file cabnets ive got 2- 5 drawer ones and 1- 2 drawer ive got hot rod, car craft, drag, motor trend mopar muscle , high perf. mopar, car and driver,ect..... dating back to the late 50's to current

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A      http://heartlandmopars.com
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe
1976 Dodge Dart Sport
"Is that an oil leak?  No it's just sweat from all that HORSEPOWER"

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008 - 07:51:42 AM »
My book collection is primarily paperback books ( Science Fiction, if anyone cares ) numbering 10 or so thousand.  I keep them in plasticizer free bags.  Any digest, magazine or bedsheet size have acid free backing boards in bags.  I've found that paper boxes ( the kind copier paper comes in ) work well for storing the books.  As for the "better" I.E. more expensive books, they are stored together in smaller, sturdier boxes so they won't get other boxes stacked on them.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008 - 01:06:31 PM »
I have a couple of large plastic containers that I put my old magazines in.  Call me cheap, but it keeps them dry and away from dust.  I just put my other stuff in boxes.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

sleepychallenger

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008 - 01:36:48 PM »
im a bit cheaper still, i file any of my magazines that i have read... in the trash can. some of them i mail to my buddy that keeps them in a stack behind his bar for future reference, but once i read them i generally get rid of them. never been into comic books, or any books for that matter.

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008 - 09:20:00 PM »
Man,
I am impressed.  :2thumbs:Some of you guys have some impressive collections!! 8,000 comic books, 10,000 sci-fi. It must have taken some time to collect all those books!!  :woo:I think I need to start a thread on "what's your other hobbies". I'll bet there are some other amazing stuff here with our members. I don't have a book collection, but used to own an antique shop and have a house full. So what's a collection like that worth in today's market?? :dunno:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008 - 01:11:08 AM »
im a bit cheaper still, i file any of my magazines that i have read... in the trash can. some of them i mail to my buddy that keeps them in a stack behind his bar for future reference, but once i read them i generally get rid of them. never been into comic books, or any books for that matter.

I just want to clarify my last statement after I read Drew's post.  I keep all of my Mopar magazines and maybe a few of the others but I trash the rest of them after a few months.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar