Author Topic: Carpet and headliner question.  (Read 1388 times)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Carpet and headliner question.
« on: August 27, 2008 - 12:00:25 AM »
I'm trying to get myself motivated on my 73 Cuda, and I'm looking for some inexpensive things to do. I think I'm going to buy carpeting and a headliner. I'll put the carpeting in myself, but have someone do the headliner. Other than the domelight wiring, is there anything else I should do before either goes in? There is absolutely nothing in the interior right now except for the pedals.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Carpet and headliner question.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008 - 12:03:44 AM »
clean/paint the metal interior window trim....be sure your heater core does not leak
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008 - 01:38:06 AM by bullitt99 »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline duodec

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008 - 12:39:21 AM »
Have you considered any additional sound or heat insulation for floor or top?

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008 - 02:00:03 AM »
If you're trying to keep the costs down, consider doing the headliner yourself.  With the interior empty, it's not all that difficult.  Put the spars through the casings. Hang the headliner.  Pull it snug on the edges and snag it on the teeth.  Use a little contact cement over the doors and clamp it temporarily with some clothespins.  And of course before you started make a note where the holes for hooks and shoulder belts are. 

Offline MrMopar440

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008 - 03:11:47 AM »
I would say do them both yourself. I was a little daunted about starting my headliner - but I really had no choice but to do it myself. I learned a lot and would probably do it better next time, but it really wasn't all that hard - just go slow. And I would definately invest in some type of sound deadner unless you are going 100% correct. I just got done lining my trunk, and I wish I had done the floor before the carpet. Makes a world of difference. Good catch on the dome light wiring - I forgot mine and had to pull part of the headliner down and fish the wiring through - not a lot of fun.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008 - 09:46:52 PM »
Where does the wiring go that runs to the back end of the car? Under the sill plate, or just under the carpet?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008 - 10:45:38 PM »
my '73 has a metal flap between the sill plate & drivers side seat that the wires go under
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008 - 12:05:54 PM »
my '73 has a metal flap between the sill plate & drivers side seat that the wires go under
:iagree: So does my '70.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline leithal

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008 - 01:31:00 PM »
Before I installed the carpet and headliner in my 66 stang I sprayed 3 coats of second skin audio over everything including the roof.  It absolutely eliminated the tin can feeling/sound the car had before and gave the car a more solid feel on the road.  There just isn't much sound deadening to the original cars.