Author Topic: Help w/ paint on 71 Cuda Grill  (Read 3164 times)

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
Help w/ paint on 71 Cuda Grill
« on: April 08, 2004 - 02:18:45 PM »
OK guru's. I'm close to putting the front end back together on the fish   ;) I need to fix some small cracks in the grill.. no missing plastic.

1) gluegun or what should be used for cracks in the grill.. procedure is helpful.

2) I know of several site who claim to have "argent" color paint, but which is the best & closest to the original argent grill color of the 71 Cuda.. in an aerosol can. I want to use this for the lower valance insert as well. I know that it needs to be texured as well.

3) What color are the 4 headlight bezels supposed to be if chrome wasn't standard. Are the flat black or argent??

Thanks for everyone's reply in advance.

71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re:Help w/ paint on 71 Cuda Grill
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004 - 05:27:06 PM »
71fish,
  I can only help with question #2. I bought mine from Totally Auto. There is actually 2 different shades of the argent paint. They will know what you need. I painted the grill of my 70 Challenger, and it matches the NOS headlight bezels just right. They know their stuff. I wish I could help you with the rest of your questions :-\

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004 - 05:46:31 PM »
There has to be people on this site that have done this.  I am also interested in the answers.  I am a little worse off with the grill I have.  I have some parts that are actually broken off and will need to fill some areas with plastic.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004 - 05:28:10 PM »
Here is a link to a place that I used to restore my grill for my 70 cuda.  I was very pleased with the finished product. I also had them do a spare center section from an extra I had which turned out great too! They can repair broken or warped grills from all e-bodies!  ;D  ;D

http://www.alltrim.com/INDEX.html

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004 - 05:29:24 PM by 4cruzin »

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004 - 03:40:10 PM »
Also, send an IM to Popeye, he just finished his grill... or maybe he'll post in this thread.

Offline mustardketchup

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004 - 10:56:22 AM »
71fish:

I repaired my grille with PC7, a two-part epoxy available from many good hardware stores.  I used that on my grille, but I did have to go back and repair a crack a second time.  I also heard somebody on Moparts.com suggest a glue/epoxy from a hobby shop, but I can't remember the name of the glue right now.  If you do a search through Moparts posts (I don't think it was more then two weeks ago and was for a 1971 cuda grille), you might be able to find the name.  The user said that the glue would actually soften/melt the original plastic and when the repair was finished, the cracked area was fused/"welded" together.  As usual, it required sanding to make it smooth.

The color of the bezels are silver on the outside/black on the inside.  I might be able to post a picture of my bezels if my co-worker returned our company's digital camera.  If you can't wait for me to get my act together (I can't expect you to be that patient), you can use this link for Tony's Parts to view a picture of his reproduction headlight rings:

http://www.tonysparts.com/newproducts.htm

If that picture is not clear enough, I thought I remembered you being from New Jersey.  So am I, and if you really need to see the headlight bezels up close and personal, I could let you take a look at my 1971 pieces.  If you need to touch base with me, send me an e-mail at lbrady@norwoodterrace.com and put "1971 cuda headlight bezels" in the subject.

I hope this helps you out.

Larry

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004 - 11:04:37 AM »

Be werey of Tonysparts.....his repos look fine but when it comes to used goods watch him.......
The photos he shows you of the items you may purchase could be different to what you actually recieve.  >:(

This is from first hand experience......I'm not the only one.  :(

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 71'cuda340

• Mopar OR slow car!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004 - 08:29:33 PM »
I couldn't find a color close enough so I'm getting my whole grille painted to match the car.  But I was wondering if any barracuda ever came stock with the grille painted to match the car?  Just about every one I see at shows have painted grilles.  ???   Looks good to me though. ::)