Author Topic: W2's vs. Edelbrock RPM  (Read 45350 times)

Offline 72bluNblu

W2's vs. Edelbrock RPM
« on: August 28, 2008 - 05:27:04 PM »
So I ran into a guy with a set of W2 heads for sale. They've been ported and polished, with some chamber work done as well. They look pretty sick! But they've have a few miles on them since the work was done so I'd have to have a valve job done more than likely. What's a set of heads like this worth?

I planned to go with Eddy RPM's, pretty much stock out of the box. How would the W2's compare for performance? And I know the W2's require offset rockers and a different intake, is there anything else thats hard to come by that I would need?

Offline moper

• Resident
Re: W2's vs. Edelbrock RPM
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008 - 05:42:52 PM »
Just personnal experience... you dont want someone elses ported heads. Unless they are fresh, and they provide a flow bench test for them. W2s have diffferent designs that are all W2 ports. Some need special vlave geaer, some dont. They may need special rockers, headers, and intake. They can outflow RPMs, but a badly ported set might have trouble reaching the OOTB RPM level. And, RPMs bolt up and use everything "normal"

nivvy

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008 - 05:45:13 PM »
I could give you some thougts on that but a guy in the local area here is the most recognized small block mopar guy in the country....

Super cool guy...  nothing but small block mopar stuff... lots of data on his site as well..
 :2thumbs:

http://www.shadydellspeedshop.com/engines.htm

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008 - 06:19:41 PM »
The regular Commandos are the way to go for a 340 Mope if you want the best stock-type head. They use stock type Intakes and headers. They'll outflow both the W-2 and the ED heads up to .500" lift. I myself would use anything but the ED's. W-2 or W-anythings, Commandos (regular or big port) or the Indys. Even the Iron Ram heads Hughes sells are mo' betta.
http://www.hughesengines.com/partDetail.asp?partID=11900   
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008 - 07:20:15 PM »
Yeah, always pretty skeptical about ported heads, but these look pretty good (not that I can tell flow number by looking though). Casting number is 8870810. They come with offset rocker shafts, but the intake and exhaust would be needed,  can't seem to find if these require the special W2 stuff.

71chally416- what's up with the ED's? have heard good things about them in the past, but haven't used them myself.

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008 - 08:19:20 PM »
W2 heads are always special pieces, and require special parts to mate them with any engine. If I remember, a special head gasket might also have been required. The rocker gear will be necessary, as will an intake manifold and headers. Pushrods will also be needed, and there might be other things, depending upon the modifications done to the heads. I think that the valve covers might also need to be W2-only. I like heads that interchange with what I have, not custom parts requiring a lot of custom adaptations.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008 - 11:11:27 PM »
The ED heads would be the cheapest way to go for sure, but no way are they the best heads to use. They are better with the right porting.
I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. The W2's would be fine if you have the correct Intake and headers and rocker gear.
If you can get the rocker gear with those heads and get them cheap you might consider getting the right headers/Intake if you're buying all that stuff new anyway. TTI has W-2 headers and their are several Intakes available.

The problem with SB Mopes today is you have so many choices of heads. It's interesting to note that all the top engines in the recent Mopar Muscle small block shootout all had Magnum type heads.  That speaks well for those Hughes "Iron ram" heads and all of the Magnum R/T variations like the Commandos. I'm a Mopar purest so I stuck to heads with a Mopar part # even though their were cheaper and easier ways to go :2thumbs:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008 - 01:42:06 AM »
 :iagree:
 Basically the last head I would look at is the eddys , the set I looked at had horrible core shift , I am done with their half assed engineering & terrible QC
W  anything will outperform the eddy , poersonally I have had great results using the 308 casting which still used rocker shafts instead of GM ball stud rockers
 Be warned W2 are expensive to set up by the time you buy rockers puishrods inatke & exhaust & yes the W2 uses a different valve cover too But do not buy the Mopar one it doesn`t fit the W2 head , for some reason mopar cannot make a cover fdor their own heads  :banghead: , $450  mistake to find out
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008 - 01:44:45 AM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008 - 02:49:49 AM »
:iagree: The 302's are the best stock based rocker shaft type heads to use if you can find a set, and they are much better with the right porting. The W-2's? 1980's technology. Back then they were the shizzle, but not so much today and they use ALL special parts and most use long stem valves. $$$$$$$

The newer Chrysler heads have much better combustion chambers. I like the Commandos because they have both the great chamber shape and an awesome exhaust port (with the right porting) That's been the achilles heel of the SB Mopar head forever. The ED heads have the same bad exhaust port shape as the old J heads. In fact, even the Indy heads, the W-2's and the vaunted factory W-9 heads suck on the exhaust side compared to the Commandos. They'll flow almost as much on the exhaust with porting as a stock ED head flows on the Intake.  :smilielol: 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008 - 03:02:04 AM by 71chally416 »

nivvy

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008 - 04:13:46 AM »
its amazing how small block head technology dominates over big block head technology......  :working:

btw i see small block w2 top end head stuff selling on racing junk in the $2k range alot...

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008 - 12:12:27 PM »
the latest W2 is awesome with a kidney shaped combustion chamber & the raised exhuast port

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008 - 01:00:13 PM »
This is what I came up with on the BP Commandos. They are restricted by their original mounting points for the Intake & Exhaust, but they are very good flowing heads.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008 - 03:33:16 PM »
I still have never had rocker issues with RPMs. five sets over 4 years used all on 4" stroke engines. Two ported sets by Ryan at Shady Dell make just shy of 600hp with pump fuel and roller cams. The others are between 480-520 with no port work, just the guide fixing. I have not used any BP Commandos, but the numbers do look good.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008 - 12:49:40 AM »
this is the W2 latest version

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008 - 01:07:13 AM »
Thanks guys! :thumbsup: Pretty interesting stuff. Not going to get the used W2's, sounds like entirely too many related costs, and I'd like to keep this build pretty straightforward. Thanks for the info on the commando's,looks like I'll have to do some more research!