What a pain in the neck

Author Topic: What a pain in the neck  (Read 1762 times)

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
What a pain in the neck
« on: August 29, 2008 - 03:30:27 PM »
Was told today I have degenerative disc disease in my neck.  :banghead: Here I just thought it was Arthritis all this time!    No wonder it's been getting harder to work on things or operate my heavy equipt.  :walkaway: Oh well it hasn't stopped me yet ... but has slowed it a little...  I'm not even sure why I posted this , I guess I just needed to whine a little.  :bigsmile:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
Re: What a pain in the neck
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008 - 03:47:10 PM »
I hear yah, I have two buldged disk in my lower back.  They say it's like getting gray hair, everyone will eventually get it, but it does sure slow you down.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008 - 05:29:20 PM »
Back and neck pain is no fun at all. I've had it for 10 years now. Take care of yourself now so it dosn't get any worse. If I only had listened when it first happened I wouldn't be in this boat.  :2cents:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008 - 07:00:13 PM »
I've had lower back pain for about 13 years now from a injury in the snow trying to have some fun. It has slowed me down but sure won't stop me.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008 - 07:33:24 PM »
I also have 2 herniated disc in mmy back ( L4 and L5) Thanks to a 2004 Dodge Ram that rear ended me two years ago. I keep going but I pay for it if I over do it. Not a day goes by that I don't have some sort of pain. You just have to keep moving  so you don't RUST.
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008 - 07:54:10 PM »
I do know the pain you are having. It will get worse. I often wonder if other people can even go to work feeling the same degree of pain I feel everyday. My wife says I shoulg go on disability. I am too proud. I will work untill I can't.   Hope you find some relief some where.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008 - 08:06:16 PM »
I'll admit I've had the bad L-5 for 20 years already. But this neck thing is something else. Last few days felt like I had a knife stuck in my neck - also pinching a nerve I was told.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I know allot of you are there too!  :2thumbs:
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008 - 09:41:15 PM »
Man,
I am sorry to hear that about all of you guys. I've had a back injury before that put me out of work for a month & 1/2. That was about 20 years ago, so I'm OK now, but have to be careful, and know about back pain all too well. I'll be 50 next year. Yeah, I know a 1/2 a century!! :22yikes: I see so many folks my age that just plain ole don't take care of themselves & can't enjoy life to the fullest because of physical conditions. My brother for one. He's at least 100 lbs overweight. My wife has had knee replacement and suffers with that. I feel for her and anyone with a degenerative health condition, but I can say that diet and exercise can greatly improve the longevity and quality of life. I started going to the gym about 3 years ago and stuck with it and had to change my diet due to high cholesterol. I hated the gym at first, but now feel bad when I don't go. I've never felt better!! It really can change your life!! Just a few days a week!! Eat an apple a day & throw away the pizza pie (once a week is OK)!! Hope all of you find some relief and can enjoy each day to the fullest and pain-free!!

Matt B.
Matt

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008 - 06:42:18 AM »
Had surgery 3 years ago for L4 & 5 and a pinched nerve and will never be 100% over it.I still have leg pain every day from the pinched/damaged nerve that will never heal.It`s slowed me down and I can`t spend nearly as much time working on my cars as I used to as all the bending and arkward positions aggravate it but like the rest of you I just pop some Advil,deal with it and keep going.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008 - 11:05:05 AM »
Had surgery 3 years ago for L4 & 5 and a pinched nerve and will never be 100% over it.I still have leg pain every day from the pinched/damaged nerve that will never heal.It`s slowed me down and I can`t spend nearly as much time working on my cars as I used to as all the bending and arkward positions aggravate it but like the rest of you I just pop some Advil,deal with it and keep going.

I her ya for sure. The only thing is I don't pop Advil..... I use Oxycontin along with other pain killers and muscle relaxents. This cronic pain thing is not fun at all.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008 - 11:17:03 AM »
I her ya for sure. The only thing is I don't pop Advil..... I use Oxycontin along with other pain killers and muscle relaxents. This cronic pain thing is not fun at all.

Right now I have Carisoprodol and Diclofenac Potassium (what ever the H that is). Some generic stuff.  I'd rate at a 5 -7 for effectiveness ... It gets a 10 tho for the worst tasteing!!!   I had Vicodin before, stuff kinda makes me tired tho.
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008 - 12:56:00 PM »
I miss the Percosets!  :naughty: I still have some Vicadin(pain killer),Diclofenac(antiinflammatory) and a muscle relaxant(Flexoril?) if the Advil is not strong enough.I`ve been fighting chronic pain from my back for probably 10 years with the last ~6 being on the upper end of the 1-10 scale before surgery.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline mrob

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008 - 02:52:47 PM »
Earlier this year I was diagnosed with a herniated L5 disk and a degenerated L4 disc. The pain has gotten better over time with the help of physical therapy and voltaren (diclofenac). In the beginning, I took Percoset as well, but it knocked me out and I was too groggy to work.
JS27 is right, you have to keep on moving or else you "rust". I've had to make some big changes as far as working on the cars are concerned - no more lifting anything heaver than 30-40lbs., minimize bending - squat or kneel on something instead in order to not bend the back. I also need to wear a soft back brace whenever I spend a long time driving.
Hope I can dodge the bullet and avoid surgery, because I've heard that the scar tissue after surgery causes more pain than the herniated disc. Oh well, one day at a time.

Offline Barracuda4

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008 - 05:48:47 PM »
Was told today I have degenerative disc disease in my neck.  :banghead: Here I just thought it was Arthritis all this time!    No wonder it's been getting harder to work on things or operate my heavy equipt.  :walkaway: Oh well it hasn't stopped me yet ... but has slowed it a little...  I'm not even sure why I posted this , I guess I just needed to whine a little.  :bigsmile:

I hear ya. I have the same problem with my neck. They diagnosed it after I told them that my thumb and index finger on my right hand were tingling. They said that the degenerated disc was pinching a nerve.  It isn't serious enough for surgery, but it is a pain in the you know what. It's tough gettin' old.

When I was working on cars at 20 it semeed like nothing was too tough. Now after an afternoon working on the Cuda, I can't even move the next morning!
'74 Cuda 360/727/ 8 3/4

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008 - 06:09:20 PM »
 :iagree: with you all we should start a bad back section LOL  :smilielol:

Last year a pinched nerve left me limping for 6 months I still have trouble tying my left shoe.

Some days are harder than other thats when I blog instead of wrench.  :chatting:

I cant wait to just cruze  :burnout:

Good luck everyone its no fun somedays I feel for you.  :'(
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...