Reality Check – Is It Worth It?

Author Topic: Reality Check – Is It Worth It?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Slotts

Reality Check – Is It Worth It?
« on: August 30, 2008 - 12:00:15 AM »
Thank you for checking in folks, I appreciate it. :2thumbs:

I have been asking myself this question of whether to restore and offer a part, for quite a while. I am absolutely not looking for a peep talk, just a serious opinion from you. No drama, etc.

When I started to tear my car apart, I vowed that I would not reinstall a rusted part, PERIOD.

That vow has taken me through finding a glass beader, zinc plater, chrome plater, metal fabricator, etc. These vendors were, and are, the best that I could  find. I solved the first one by acquiring the parts to do this. The second, third and fourth, took quite a while but I have found these three other vendor’s that take care of my requests like you wouldn’t believe.

Ok, sorry for all of the rhetoric. Back to my initial question, is this worth it?

For me, well, yes and no. The goal was to help other mopar fans with a restored part while trying to make a few bucks. I have seen and been a victim of an unscrupulous vendor that was offering parts (and still is, right Gordon?) I bought and thought, that won't go in my car. I thought that if I took the time, I could do better than that.

Take a look at these pictures posted. I have over a dozen E body non A/C heater boxes, two real E body thumb wheel radios, a pile of hood and trunk zinc plated strickers - latches, defoggers, switches, etc.

I guess I have to ask this second question.

Should I just sell of the stock that I have, as is?

Ok, one more. Does anybody really believe the parts I have offered are restored?

I really value each and every comment that may come in.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Slotts

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
Re: Reality Check – Is It Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008 - 01:04:31 AM »
Jim, I wouldn't sell all your stock. Keep some for spares.  ;) I know you are a stand up guy and believe your parts are restored. If I need anything you have, I will buy from you.  :2thumbs: Is it worth it ? Yes, the times I have shared with my daughter and son are great. When I hear  Shelby say " Mom, I'm asking off work to go to the Mopar BBQ with you. " Without a doubt , it's worth it. And I know you enjoy the time you and Eric share.  :burnout:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008 - 01:08:57 AM by DoNotChallengeHer »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008 - 01:07:34 AM »
car restoration is a very individual thing some will use nothing but NOS , others use the best they can find others build customs replacing the factory parts with better technology than 40 year old
 I would offer the extra parts up to help others with the option of restoring it for them , or just selling the part as is  for a lower cost . For many people buying a restoed part is well worth it & saves a ton of hassle finding people to help as you have already done

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008 - 02:37:50 AM »
For me, I am trying to use as many parts that are original to my car over again.

I need to know that they will work when I plug it all back in. That is where you came in.  :wave:

To me, you offer a very valuable service. You are very honest & offer a great service that I could not find anyplace else.

The sad thing for all of us is that the economy as a whole is down right now. People in general have less to spend.

As word travels about you, what you can do and how well you do it, you will get more business though.

Hang in there bud, do not go changin'!

Barry

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008 - 02:46:13 AM »
Jim, the only person who can truly answer those questions is you.  From your post, I sense that you are feeling some frustration, but I can only guess at the source.  

Let me start from your last question and work my way back to your real question.  Do I believe your parts are restored.  Yes.  I haven't actually seen them, save in photos, but to use an example from this batch of photos, I can see that you have a bunch of dimmers, both restored and unrestored.  I know from my own limited dealings with you and from the opinions of others that you are a very honorable man.  That reputation, coupled with the photos, tells me that you are truly restoring these parts.

That gets to the second question: should you sell your stock?  I seem to recall from a previous hobby thread that parts restoration is one of your favorite ways to occupy your time.  From the photos of your switches and the organization of your stock on your shelves, I deduce that you are pretty meticulous.  From my own restoration work, I know how much time that must takes because I don't have the patience to do what you do.  And, because some of it requires using outside vendors, this adds to your costs, since quality work never comes cheap (You get what you pay for...)  That sounds like giving up on what you're doing.  I know that feeling - I fight it all the time, especially when I want to just take my car for a drive and get hung up on how much work I have to do.  That's when I think about what I could get for my car and how cool it would be to just take the Dart I saw on Craigslist for a drive.  And then I think about how much I've spent/invested on it and how much I don't want to let the naysayers win.

I have to use a little supposition from here, because you don't really tell us what the source of your angst is.  I'm guessing that you're having trouble recovering your costs, especially vis-a-vis your time and that's why you're wondering if it's all worth it.  I can't answer that.  What I can offer is suggestion.  Is it possible that you can do some of this without striving for perfection?  Is that contrary to your meticulous nature.  Would you have been so upset at the unnamed vendor (FBs?) if they hadn't advertised that part as being something it wasn't.  

What I've seen of your work indicates that you're aiming for show car quality, like Dave Walden's (ECS) convertible.  Can you do some restorations to a lower level, but then offer it for sale as driver quality instead of show quality?  Some parts don't lend themselves to that, I suppose, but many will.  Take the heater boxes as an example.  I figure no one is ever going to see mine, so my main aim was to clean it up, make it presentable but not like new, check to make sure that the cores didn't leak and that the vacuum diaphragms worked, replace some of the foam insulation with a suitable replacement (but not "correct") and button it up.  I don't know how long it takes you to complete a box, but I bet it's considerably longer than I took.  Mine took about 10 hours of actual work, but I could have done it in less with some better tools, more knowledge and a bit of practice.  I'm betting perfection on a show-quality resto takes much longer, but the returns are diminished because of the limited nature of the demand.

If it's me, I keep the stock, do some work at show quality and others at driver quality and that would allow me to enjoy my hobby and make a little money at the same time.  Like Barry says, business will pick up, but not everyone is willing to spend the money on "like new."
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008 - 02:55:14 AM »
From a personal opinion, we would be lost without you here and i am so glad to of found a freind in you.  If you had not joined we would never of become buddies and it is an added bonus that you are an extremely talented man.  Who is willing to share his wares with fellow enthusiasts like the people here at C-C.com.

I have only just recently had the pleasure of viewing your incredible work first hand, and i am not sure that Mopar offered as nice of a product as you do, if anything your pieces are over restored and i bet they last longer than the 38 odd years some of the switches have been around now :2thumbs:

At the end of the day it will be your call as what you wish to do, i know that you will make the right decision that suites you old mate.  :swaying:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008 - 07:23:56 AM »
How much for the thumb wheel Jim?   :bigsmile:  I've seen your work, I know your dedication.  It was a pleasure talking shop with you over a steak dinner. You are quite the addition to this site. A plus to anyone you meet. I know you have a very good job and do this on the side. Sell some of those master pieces and get some more to do again.  Your quality come from passion and desire. Anything built this way is a master piece.  I wish I was closer to you to visit more. Maybe no winter driving with you tho, I am a wuss, and you are nascar in ice and snow :2thumbs:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008 - 07:28:41 AM »
How much for the thumb wheel Jim?   :bigsmile:  I've seen your work, I know your dedication.  It was a pleasure talking shop with you over a steak dinner. You are quite the addition to this site. A plus to anyone you meet. I know you have a very good job and do this on the side. Sell some of those master pieces and get some more to do again.  Your quality come from passion and desire. Anything built this way is a master piece.  I wish I was closer to you to visit more. Maybe no winter driving with you tho, I am a wuss, and you are nascar in ice and snow :2thumbs:
:iagree: Maybe he could change the name of his drive car from PT Cruiser to PT Screamer :burnout: :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008 - 07:46:03 AM »
slotts,
Not having the pleasure to actually have met you, I would like to see you stay with what sounds like your first love (ok second, your wife's #1). Having someone that TRULY has "as described" parts etc is far more valuable A: as a friend B: as a source c:as a knowledgeable mind is priceless. Go with your heart.
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008 - 10:13:45 AM »
I bought a Dimmer switch from Jim and it looked and worked perfect. 

Great price too.

I may need another one in the future, so hopefully Jim will still be doing these....

Tom :2thumbs:

Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008 - 10:26:50 AM »
As long as you are happy with what you do ( and I think you are...it just shows in you work...)  and you can make people happy with your parts, why asking these questions?   I just know your parts from the pictures here, and they look stunning!  those parts will give cars the "ooh and aah" factor.
please continue restoring parts  :2thumbs:
*** Bart ***

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008 - 10:38:32 AM »
Jim, I think Greg stated what I was thinking already... No doubt you do highest quality work & anyone who pays for your product should be pleased.   I question at what point does this become work & not pleasure, there's where you have to decide to quit, cut back or, what I recomend set it aside for a while, do what you truely enjoy & then make your decision.

Good Luck
Wade
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008 - 11:32:08 AM »
From the pictures I have seen of the parts you restore, it is pretty easy to tell that you do top notch work. 
The care and detail exhibited on them says alot about you.  You have to love the final products to do more than one because the process of getting things to that level can be pretty frustrating and ridiculously time consuming.  The only reason a person would perfectly restore an inner heater box door that no one will see is because they have pride in what they do and get gratification through their efforts.
If you sell your unfinished stock, it would be like an artist selling their empty canvas.  If you need the money to make your bills, that is always a different story. 

If you are really asking if it is worth it to take something ugly and broken and make it beautiful and functional, I am pretty sure you already know that answer.

(I bet your Simple+ is elegantly written and well commented too.)
** Shane **

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008 - 12:18:49 PM »
I have not had the pleaser of using your stuff yet ( I hope to have my switches redone soon)
However, I didn’t know what you could do either until I joined CC and noticed what great work you do.

I f you need to increase volume to make more money to justify doing it in the first place then maybe you need to a-line yourself with a distributor of some sort. (Yearone perhaps)

Sadly, you may need to start working on… dare I say it, chevy and ford stuff also if the mopar hobby will not bring in enough business.

Good luck.

If it’s worth doing... it’s worth overdoing
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008 - 12:47:09 PM »
car restoration is a very individual thing some will use nothing but NOS , others use the best they can find others build customs replacing the factory parts with better technology than 40 year old
 I would offer the extra parts up to help others with the option of restoring it for them , or just selling the part as is  for a lower cost . For many people buying a restoed part is well worth it & saves a ton of hassle finding people to help as you have already done

Couldn't have said it any better Neil. Offer them the option of as-is or a for a fee, restored. I think your work is fantastic mate, this is from a neutral stand point and not a friend. The dimmer switch you sent me can be eaten off, it's a very nice piece indeed. As for Gordon, lol, well, I know we've spent many an email laughing about that little face plant of a dropkick but yeah, he is a totally different story. I'd rather buy cave rocks from Osama Bin Lying than any car part of Gordn lol.

Hang in there anyhow Jim, need talk you know where I am brother. :cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60