Car show question

Author Topic: Car show question  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Car show question
« on: September 02, 2008 - 01:57:49 AM »
When at a car show, I see people just setting in chairs.  This can be all day for the most part.  Is this fun?  How do you do it?  I think about going to the next car show next yr, I see the pictures of people like MEK and viperman sitting under the canopy, and it makes me wonder if I can sit still for a day. I have seen just about every mopar car at one time or another. When they are clean and shiney, they are just clean mopars.

How do you just sit and do nothing? After a while somethings gotta give. I can't hardly sleep 5 hrs in a row.  Doesn't it actually get boreing if you don't stay active doing something? I am having trouble wondering if I can set in one place and do nothing.
Do you play games like toss washers in a cup?
horse shoes
frisby
What does everyone do ?  Just watch people walk by?  When I go to cruise ins, I look around as I stand there, I see people just setting there, cars not moving or running, a band or a radio is playing, and no body is actually doing anything but maybe taking a few pictures. Buying parts doesnt last long when your wallet gives up before your eyes do.

How do you sit still?   I know it sounds kinda dumb these questions I am asking, but if you are always, and I mean always doing something, how do you learn to unwind and do nothing?  At a lake, I swim. At a resturant I eat and leave. At the races I race, on a trail I hike.

Sorry..............  Sometimes I just get to wondering.......... I already pictured myself at the next show, met the guys, shook hands , talked a bit, then caught myself saying....Now what?  wierd huh.  It might seem odd to some, but if your like me and never have anyone around at all, these questions do come up a lot. ...........Oh well :faint:

Offline AARCuda340+6

• Resident
  • Southern Ontario
Re: Car show question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008 - 02:17:51 AM »
That's a great question.   I find some shows more boring if only a few cars are on display.  A bigger show I'll spend more time walking around looking at the cars, taking pictures and talking to the owners.   If I get done all that then I'll sit down and read a paper or Auto Trader mag to kill time.   The best shows sometimes are at the drag strip.   When your done looking at all the cars you can go and sit in the stands and watch the show.   Or you can race your car all day.
Just my 2 cents worth.   Hope it helps you sleep better at night.
:sleeping:
You can call me RAY or RAYMOND or RAZOR or THE ZOR!
70 AAR Cuda
04 Rumble Bee

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008 - 02:20:21 AM »
I got up at 5am and now its 120 am, here I sit reading everything I can.   How did you make your posting with those really black letters? It is easier to read with old tired eyes

Offline AARCuda340+6

• Resident
  • Southern Ontario
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008 - 02:24:29 AM »
I got up at 5am and now its 120 am, here I sit reading everything I can.   How did you make your posting with those really black letters? It is easier to read with old tired eyes

I just use the "Bold" button in the menu above.   :bigshades:
Or you can make it GLOW too!!
70 AAR Cuda
04 Rumble Bee

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008 - 02:27:40 AM »
like this?

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008 - 02:28:23 AM »
OIC :2thumbs:  Now I can learn some other things to do, thanls :2thumbs:

Offline AARCuda340+6

• Resident
  • Southern Ontario
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008 - 02:30:48 AM »
I'm calling it a night.  Enjoy your evening and get some sleep!!  :22yikes:
70 AAR Cuda
04 Rumble Bee

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008 - 03:14:32 AM »
I can't sit very long at car shows either.  I miss alot of cars too because I spend most of my time in the swap area. Not selling but if I miss that next good deal on seat covers or dashpads eating a burger or talking to Jay Leno too long I might go nuts.  Guess it's a sickness  :dunno:

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008 - 05:02:34 AM »
  Lets face it we are all different, when I go to a show I like to check out the other vehicles, chat to others, track down that elusive part. God only gave me so many breaths to breathe and I want to make the most of them.   :woo:
  When I was younger my mates and I would travel to Queensland for our holidays, they would just lay on the beach all day, we could have done that back in Victoria. Me I wanted to do things, go places, chase girls etc.   :bananasmi
Dave

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008 - 06:02:05 AM »
I can sit at a car show all day if there is a cooler beside me....   :bigsmile:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline Finoke

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008 - 06:46:52 AM »
I'm on board with what your saying. I can't sit still for more than an hour. I can't even make my way through a movie most of the time before I feel I should be up and doing something.

But I will say that the shows have gotten better for me since I've got to know more people over the years. Bumping into old friends really breaks up a long day in the sun. (As does some beer  :cheers::roflsmiley:

I still can't go to the beach. I love the atmosphere but can't sit for more than an hour  :bigsmile:

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008 - 08:07:26 AM »
I understand what you are saying about sitting for too long. I don't bring my car to too many local shows for that reason. But when I do go I use the time to socialize with others and also as a resource. I ask about body shops, good mechanics etc.. I know you do most of your own work so that may not be of interest to you. As infrequent as I go to these local cruise in's I do see some of the same faces at every cruise in I go to. I think those that go to every show are just meeting up with friends. I also like to go around and check out the rides. I go more to cruise ins without my car so I can just check out the cars and then leave. When I do bring my car I usually go with my car seperately from my wife and kids because my kids can't sit still very long either and get bored.
1974 Barracuda

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008 - 09:08:52 AM »
I don't know how they do it.  I can't sit still for more than an hour.  Drives some people crazy but I feel I have a short life and I want to make the most of it and sitting isn't usually getting me any where.
  About the only thing I can sit still for is sleep and archery hunting.  Hunting has to be very difficult though as I have to sit for some time waiting for that bull elk to walk by.  I guess the beautiful scenery of the rockies helps keep me still.
  Al, try some prescription drugs, that might make you want to sit still, not to mention change who you really are and sit you right down in a chair, just like they do to kids in schools now! 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008 - 09:14:59 AM »
That`s why I stopped going to most shows-a bunch of old farts sitting around in lawn chairs gets me bored also.I do hit the cruise nights but only stay if there are cars i want to check out or I`m talking cars with guys I know or just met.My fav shows are at the drags so theres either racing to do or watch.The last time I sat for more than an hour at the beach was in Aruba close to a very cute TOPLESS girl!   :bigsmile:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008 - 09:34:07 AM »
YEah, that's one reason that I've never been big on car shows (as an owner, that is) myself. I have the same issue on vacation. My attitude is that one my vacation, I want to maximize my time. I'm getting up early (sometimes to catch morning light for photography, sometimes to get in line for Space Mountain). I'm out all day, into the evening (sometime to catch evening light, sometimes to watch the fireworks at Epcot). At the end of the day I fall exhausted into bed (or sleeping bag).

My friends won't go on vacation with me any more  :screwy:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars