Author Topic: Auto assembly manufacturing tour  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Auto assembly manufacturing tour
« on: September 04, 2008 - 11:16:39 AM »
Today our staff and I will be doing a tour of the NUMMI auto assembly plant in Fremont. NUMMI is the joint venture between GM and Toyota. Should be pretty interesting.

Has anyone ever been to a auto assembly plant before?
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
Re: Auto assembly manufacturing tour
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008 - 11:27:29 AM »
We went through the Corvette Assy plant a few years ago. It was very interesting. We also went through the Harley plant in York Pa in 05. 
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008 - 05:49:29 PM »
Been to Mopar's Newark Del assembly plant several times...will be going again at the end of the month for the yearly car show and they open the plant up for self guided tours too.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008 - 06:01:27 PM »
I went thru the Ford plant in Michigan back when they first started making the Mustang II.   :eek7:   :eek7: Maybe I was their curse.  :dunno:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008 - 07:36:18 PM »
No, can't say I have. I would like toooooo though!
 :canada:
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008 - 08:31:47 PM »
They were slowed down quite a bit. They stopped the truck assembly line altogether and workers just leaning on cars like Highway CalTrans workers leaning on their shovels. From lack of car sales was the reason.

Overall pretty cool deal to go see. The robotic arms take out alot of workers of course. But they're moving out a new car every minute there. You can't take any pictures in there.  :nono:  :picture:

If anyone is interested in going here in N.Cal. I would book now. They're going to reduce allotment on tours there by the end of the month. www.nummi.com
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008 - 09:59:42 PM »
I been thru the GM S-10 truck plant in Linden,N.J. & the Ford Ranger plant in Edison, N.J. both are now history...

Was at the Edison plant at the time when they where building my Ranger in 5/93. Pretty Neat....
Still have the Ranger its still looks new & runs great, 108,000 miles & garaged kept...

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008 - 10:24:35 PM »
....I've been thru Chryslers Sterling Heights once, CAAP (Vipers/Prowlers) and the Vette plant several times each....also went thru the Panoz assembly plant a few years ago ...thats all I can remember

ps...also the original Mack Assembly Plant (Vipers)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008 - 10:27:23 PM by DAYTONA »

Offline tumbob

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008 - 12:38:04 AM »
Are there any plant tours anymore? They did not offer any the last time to I went to Michigan.  I remember going thru the Ford plant w/my parents in late 70's. What a great experence, even if they were making mustang II's, would love to do it again....
09 Challenger SE
68 Charger 383
70 Challenger Convertible 340
72 Cuda 340

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008 - 02:06:30 AM »
I been thru the GM S-10 truck plant in Linden,N.J. & the Ford Ranger plant in Edison, N.J. both are now history...

Was at the Edison plant at the time when they where building my Ranger in 5/93. Pretty Neat....
Still have the Ranger its still looks new & runs great, 108,000 miles & garaged kept...

I had one of those, built right about the same time.  Only vehicle I ever bought new.  I loved that truck - 4.0L, 5 spd, dark blue SuperCab.  Sold it in '98 five months after I paid it off, so my wife could have something with four doors and stay home a few months later with our (then) infant son.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008 - 02:13:40 AM »
Are there any plant tours anymore? They did not offer any the last time to I went to Michigan.  I remember going thru the Ford plant w/my parents in late 70's. What a great experence, even if they were making mustang II's, would love to do it again....

Ford lets you tour the Rouge Plant where they make the F150's.  I have been meaning to go there, I hear its awesome.
http://www.henryfordmuseum.com/rouge/tickets.aspx
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress