Author Topic: Originality question  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Troy

Re: Originality question
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008 - 11:30:09 AM »
Thanks for the input guys!

My 2 cents
Dont worry about originality, once the drive train is gone no ones cares. Slap a BB or hemi in it and have fun. Its pointless to worry about getting everything original when its not numbers, in my opinion.
I forgot to mention - no big blocks. Even though I have a whole pile of them laying around, all my other cars are big blocks and I think of e-body cars as road racers (Trans Am) with a light, high winding small block.

All the value was stripped out of my car so I am going the hemi route.

Oh....I am not a particularly bright man either!! 

If you do decide to do the Hemi, there are a few of us here currently  doing the same thing and comparing notes to help each other out.  Join us!!  I'm not sure if it a case of "all great minds think alike" OR  "misery loves company"!!  :roflsmiley:

If the car's originality has already been compromised, my vote is for the Hemi.
Yeah, I try to keep up but I read a lot more than I post. If I only had one car to work on it would be easier and progress would come faster.

Another alternative is just give ME the car I'll take care  of it in a private ceremony
Um, yeah. :D Realistically, if someone were to purchase a certain Charger of mine I'd be very tempted to buy your old A66 and sell this one. I'd be afraid to drive it though...

it really doesn`t matter which way you go any of the 3 choices will work , I would build what you are most happy with , the 340 can be installed at any point down the road if you use the Hemi or 5.9
Right. The only reason I bring it up now is because of the availability of the engine I found. If it were just another bare block or a later engine I wouldn't even be concerned about the engine at this time. It will be a while before this car is road worthy any way.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008 - 11:44:11 AM »

Dont worry about originality, once the drive train is gone no ones cares.

100% agree. I have never understood people who do back flips and get excited saying: "It's an original ###ci car with a 4-speed!!! But, the drive train is gone, BUT, I still have the fender tag!" IMO - Who gives a shlt. The gold has been taken and you're left with the chest. Nice to know for history sake what it the car came with espaically (and really only) if it's a 440/426 car but at the end of the day it's a non numbers car like any other.

I like 340ci engines but if you have the cash, go for gold, maybe an alloy block. Rock n Roll brother and make it your own. I laugh when people say that's "Not correct". Correct? To who? You? The factory guys? Galen? Pffft. It's correct to me. Keep us posted on your choice and be sure to post photos. Sounds to me like it's a 340ci and 4-Speed combo by viewing your posts, so, go for it. Maybe a TA theme style car.

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008 - 12:24:22 PM »
it really doesn`t matter which way you go any of the 3 choices will work , I would build what you are most happy with , the 340 can be installed at any point down the road if you use the Hemi or 5.9
:iagree:

I never really understood why people get so crazy over having to find the original parts of a car once they are missing.  I my opinion, as long as you do not destroy the car, build it the way you want it.  Look at it this way, if you lived back in the day, would you have ordered the car with those exact options?  Also, what is the point of having an old car unless you can make it your own?  In your case, it is just a drivetrain choice, and you can change that later if you are not satisfied.   :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline mcgheejt

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008 - 12:36:11 PM »
If I had an A66 car, I would definately go with the 340.  It's a great combo and a rare one to boot.  I would love to have a convertible one; I think even more than an R/T. 

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008 - 12:56:12 PM »
I am a small block guy.  I would go with the 340.  I hope to find one for my car.  I had a low mileage 340 but had to get rid of it wish I had it back now.  I want to make some changes to my car also to make it more modern and even more fun to drive.  I hope to be able to restore it when I get home.  Was thinking of doing an extra year but now my plans have changed and I will be coming home for good the early part of march of next year.  I am tired of being over here in Iraq and I am going to get married right after I get back over there. 

Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008 - 01:07:32 PM »
I say do the Hemi, its the old school way - put a modern motor in an old chassis.  This works great for car shows also if you want some attention, everybody seen a small block e-body.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008 - 11:41:19 PM »
100% agree. Nice to know for history sake what it the car came with espaically (and really only) if it's a 440/426 car but at the end of the day it's a non numbers car like any other.

:cheers:
LOL you just contradicted what you said, once the numbers are gone who cares if it had a 440/426? I don't. And the assumption from some of those "weekend" mopar collectors are that the only valuable mopar is a 440/426 is just plain arrogance. I bleed true blue mopar and think all  mopars should be saved and restored, no matter if its a /6. The 383 is no slouch either. How many chevy and ford guys would die for a BB? I have never heard a mustang or camaro owner complain they had a SB, have you? Lets face it, they arent making them anymore, I may change my tune too on only buying numbers cars if they arent any left in 20 years, if im still breathing.
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008 - 10:23:48 PM »
Since the #'s drivetrain is gone, build what you want. I dont thiink I could remove a numbers drivetrain from a car (maybe a slant 6 car). I'm more of a traditionalist, like to see period correct drivetrains in the old Mopars, but thats me. It's your car, do what YOU want.

Offline Troy

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008 - 01:28:33 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I bought the motor "just in case" but it will be a while before I have to make a final decision on which one I'm sticking in the car. Once I get the thing home I'll open it up to determine what I have to work with. At this point I'm going to see how much money I have left over after getting the body work done. If I'm broke I'll probably drop in the 5.9 initially since it will be real easy to swap that to the 340 later. I'll probably end up selling the Hemi. Either that or I need to sell some cars but what fun would that be? ;)

Troy

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008 - 10:32:18 PM »
I would add a another vote to keep it an original A66 car with the 340 that it was intended to have.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008 - 04:16:05 PM »
There's a guy that works at a Toyota dealership close to me that has a '71 Demon with a 340 stroked to a 454 or some crazy #.  It's one of those blocks that Mopar puts out now, what's it called, a R-3 or W-3 block or something?
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008 - 01:48:08 PM »
I say go with the 340 and restore it to original looking. You'll never have time to do it again later and install the 340. Once it's done move on to the next project.  Put the 5.9 or hemi into a "G" coded car.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2008 - 12:51:04 PM »
i think you should do what winds you up ,that said if theres more than two its not rare .if #s are so important then why are parts so expensive if the cars they are bought for are worthless .if a guy says your cars junk with out a drive train thats the guy that will give you nothing for it then get his trusty stamps out . the gm and ford guys are so easy going on the #s thing and modified cars that they actually have enough cars for a show. i love my mopars but the pompas azz #s guys are slowly killing the hobby look at the car counts at shows and local digs no cars the mopar world needs a revamp mopar rip .c

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008 - 09:30:40 AM »
I am a small block guy.  I would go with the 340.  I hope to find one for my car.  I had a low mileage 340 but had to get rid of it wish I had it back now.  I want to make some changes to my car also to make it more modern and even more fun to drive.  I hope to be able to restore it when I get home.  Was thinking of doing an extra year but now my plans have changed and I will be coming home for good the early part of march of next year.  I am tired of being over here in Iraq and I am going to get married right after I get back over there. 

Gordon

I was going to get a 70 340 block off of jacksboys  but you can contact him and make arragements for it if you'd like

Offline Troy

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008 - 12:22:35 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Just a quick update, I wasn't able to get the 340 so it looks like I'll be sticking with the 5.9 any way. I'd seriously consider the 5.7 if I could find a few deals on the conversion parts but right I have some time before I have to make that decision.

Troy