Author Topic: Can't sleep, Never drove a cuda?  (Read 3052 times)

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
Re: Can't sleep, Never drove a cuda?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008 - 10:13:53 PM »
I'll have to weight both my 70 Cuda and my 71 Challenger RT to see the weight difference. They are both 340 cars with the Cuda being a 4-speed and the Challenger being a automatic transmission. They both have the same front torsion bars and the exact same rear leaf springs as I put new ones on both cars. They both have power steering, power disc brakes with 11 inch rear drums. I can say after putting 35,000 miles on the Challenger RT that it has a nice ride and handles great. The Cuda has had a little over 3,000 miles put on it since it was restored back to stock and rides rough compared to the Challenger and I seem to sit up closer to the steering wheel in the Cuda. I have also put new foam in the bucket seats in the Cuda and the seats don't have much give so they are firm and I get tired of sitting on them after about 2 hours of driving. They both steer about the same as the gear boxes have both been rebuilt by steer & gear in Columbus, ohio with firm feel rebuild. I like driving the Cuda much more but for the long haul like 450 miles out the Columbus, Ohio for the nationals I'll take the Challenger RT everytime I drive out. Just my  :2cents:

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008 - 11:04:32 PM »
Here are some numbers from factory literature

Challenger wheelbase   110 inches                  Cuda   108 inches
Challenger overall length  191.3 inches            Cuda  188.4 inches
Challenger front track    59.7 inches               Cuda    59.7 inches
Challenger rear track     60.7 inches               Cuda    60.7 inches
Challenger curb weight(dry)(small blockV-8) 3390lbs   Cuda   3370lbs

2 inches shorter wheelbase, less than 3 inches shorter overall length and 20lbs lighter for the Cuda

The floor pans are the same on these cars too, so the seat placement is the same.

If you ever driven a car that had low original miles, even versus a car that was fully restored, you'd see that the low mile original cars are so much tighter. Thats my personal experience.

Again, it's more of what is different between the cars you compare option and condition and equipment wise, then what the cars are different from the factory in an exactly same optioned car. even the alignment settings and torsion bar ride height can make a big difference in how these cars ride and handle.

I've owned over 40 of these cars, big block, hemis, small blocks, 4 speeds, 5 speeds keislers, autos, dana rear cars, you name it.

Carl is right on in that the small block cars handle much better than the big block cars in stock condition. My AAR was the best handling E-body I have owned, hands down. poly bushings but other then that and radials, a basicly stock car.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008 - 09:35:02 AM »
Actually, if you've ever had to replace the rear floor pans with reproduction sheet metal, you'd find that the floor pans are not identical. The repro rear floor pans used to be based on the Cuda pans. So, when you went to replace Challenger ones you needed to cut less of the old pan out and beat the metal some to get it to fit.  It really sucked if your old pan was totally shot.  I believe they are now making correct style Challenger floor pans.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008 - 10:35:09 AM »
Actually, if you've ever had to replace the rear floor pans with reproduction sheet metal, you'd find that the floor pans are not identical. The repro rear floor pans used to be based on the Cuda pans. So, when you went to replace Challenger ones you needed to cut less of the old pan out and beat the metal some to get it to fit.  It really sucked if your old pan was totally shot.  I believe they are now making correct style Challenger floor pans.

I guess i should have made it clearer...where the front seat mounts is the same. The difference in wheelbase between the cars is in the rear floor pan area. The front floor pans are the same.

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008 - 12:04:58 AM »
I've heard people say that they fit in the challenger better than the cuda. Maybe it's a difference in head room. There's no reason for the challenger to have more leg room than the cuda since the sheet metal is identical until you get behind the front seats. The extra two inches in the floor pan is at the rear of the front floor pan between the front and rear seats.
I do think that the Gran Coupe and SE headliners have more head room though. They fit up closer to the roof panel.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline Winston

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008 - 10:40:07 PM »
I have had numerous e-bodies as well (around 15), including a 70 Challenger 440 convertible and a 71 Cuda 383; surprisingly, my favorite of all as far as just being a sweet feel to driving it was a '73 Challenger Rallye 340 4-speed.  I would love to have that car back!  Other than that one car, the others feel different yet the same...same cool Mopar smell.  The Cuda's rally hood has a great look from the driver's seat...a little more defined than the Challenger's.   I prefer the Cuda's slightly, but together, they comprise the two greatest musclecars of all-time.  :woo: