Author Topic: Questions about Houston, Texas  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Mentally Challenged

Questions about Houston, Texas
« on: September 07, 2008 - 06:21:40 AM »
Is there anybody here that can tell me about Houston, Texas. I am thinking about going to UTI for the collision, and refinishing program. Mainly would like to know how it is living there. Stuff to do, night life, close dragstrips. This is going to be a big move for me, as I have lived in a small town in Ohio all my life. Thank you for any help....Chris
Chris, Ohio

Offline wiiildcat

Re: Questions about Houston, Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008 - 07:23:52 AM »
I have been to Houston a few times, Lived in Austin Tx. and you will love it. Downtown is a little big and crowed but anything and everything is there or close. And Houston raceway park has a mopar show and drag every year lol.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008 - 07:39:09 AM »
Thanks Wildcat,
     I have been close to Houston once, I visited Conroe,Texas a couple years ago. I am at a point in my life, in which I need a change. I have always wanted to do body work, so I figure this is my opportunity. I am in a dead end town now, and the outlook is not getting any better. I will probably try to work full time while in school. I have experience in flat concrete work, masonary,automotive, and the dreaded factory work. How are jobs in Texas, I know it isn't real great anywhere. Can't be much worse than I am doing now.
Chris, Ohio

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008 - 07:47:14 AM »
If you was moving to Austin I could hook you up in construction for sure, but Texas is doing better than a lot of place's. They didn't get hit as bad as some with the housing market, mainly because it never got as far out of hand like it did in a lot of states. I think you will love it, I moved there from spending my whole life in Ky. and I will move back to TX. when I retire or win the lottery lol.

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008 - 07:55:18 AM »
How far is Austin from Houston?
Chris, Ohio

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008 - 07:56:17 AM »
right about 2.5 hour drive

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008 - 08:04:17 AM »
Ouch lol
I am sure I would be able to find a decent job in Houston. I am a pretty well rounded knowledgable person. I don't plan on living on campus, so I would have to find a house to rent. I imagine it would be mostly fresh out of high school kids I would be going to school with. I'm 32, and getting out of the everyday party stage so I would rather live on my own.
Chris, Ohio

Offline LoneStar Mopar

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008 - 08:15:28 AM »
Hello ramcharger44004,   As a lifelong resident of Houston (born and raised) let me tell you about Houston from my perspective.
1: THE WEATHER    The summer as you would expect is miserable since we are so far south and right on the coast. From May to Mid October the highs are 90-100 with humidity usually between 80-100%. There is a constant gulf breeze though so that usually helps. Plus every where you go is air conditioned and you dont have to shovel heat like you do with snow. The winter is very mild with highs usually in the 60s and lows in the 40s-50s. When a cold front moves thru it will be colder for a few days (highs 40s lows upper 20s-30s).

2:Dragstrips   Houston Raceway park is in Baytown which is about 20 minutes east of Houston. This is a NHRA sanctioned track. Not sure if they still do it but Saturday nights used to be race what you bring night. So if you want to see what your running!!   In Katy which is 30 minutes west of Houston there is another track (1/8mile ?). Dont know much about this one though so might want to ask around about it.

3:Attractions    Houston has quite a few attractions. If you like water there is the Kemah boardwalk which is ranked third best boardwalk in the nation. There is historic Galveston Island. I actually like Galveston better in the winter but its primary business is summer tourism. There are numerous cruise ships stationed there, there is shopping, beach going (just dont expect clear water and white sand beaches), Schlitterbaughn water park, fishing, historical mansion tours, and of course THE STRAND. I lived in Galveston for 5 years and it is wonderful.  There is a water park on the north side of Houston called splashtown. You can also do these things: horse race track, dog race track, astros game, texans game, rockets game, aeros game, NASA space center, zoo, numerous museums, offshore fishing charters, traders village, numerous cruise nights with Nifty Fifties bieng the largest up in Cypress, and other attractions that I am propably forgetting about.  Also Houston has about 8 or so swap meets during the year. They are put on by 3 or4 different people and are in different locations but almost all very large. Autorama comes to Houston every year and is the weekend of thanksgiving. Definately an annual tradition.  Like I said alot more to do once you get here and talk to people.

4: Clubs   Dont know any personally but I know there are alot of them. Same with bars they are everywhere.

5: General Info.   Most people here are nice (except on roadways). The food is great, (real Tex-Mex, cajun cooking, southern cooking, etc..), the economy is strong, housing is cheap, gas is cheap (er),  and the standard of living is good.  The only thing is be prepared to put some miles on your vehicle. While your grocery store, movie theatre, and things like that may be close to your home, not much else will be. Houston is very spread out. Just expect everything to be a good 1/2-1 hour plus drive. My car is two years old and has 60,000 miles.

Hope this helps if you have anymore questions just ask me.  

Offline LoneStar Mopar

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008 - 08:22:51 AM »
Trust me, getting a job in Houston right now is NO PROBLEM. Construcion is slower than a couple of years ago but everywhere you look houses and skyscrapers, and business buildings are still bieng built. Also San Antonio and Austin are about 2.5-3 hour drives and Dallas and Baton Rouge are about 4 hour drives. New Orleans is six hours away if your into Mardi Gras; however Galveston has its own Mardi Gras celebrations and while they are nothing like the big easys they aint to shabby.

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008 - 08:31:25 AM »
Wow Lonestar,
That was a lot of help, Thank you. I am still in the thought process right now, but I am pretty sure I am going to do it. I am not so much worried about the heat, I like it hot. It would not bother me a bit to not let the 1ton warm up for 1/2 an hour, because of snow. I have to talk to the school some more. I would be bringing everything I have. I would have to haul the one ton, and the Challenger. Challenger needs resto, runs but not really streetable. The one ton only gets about 7 miles per gallon. I may just sell the one ton, I am sure I would find a much better shape truck down there. I was also kind of wondering how many of you guys lived around there. I don't want to get there, and have to e friends with 800 chevy people lol. Lot to think about, but I think it would work out for the better. Thanks for the help guys :thumbsup:
Chris, Ohio

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008 - 08:34:09 AM »
I don't think I could build sky scrapers, I am not much on heights. I would do it if I had to,  but :scared:
Chris, Ohio

Offline LoneStar Mopar

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008 - 08:40:21 AM »
Glad I could help. Hope you decide to do it. I think you will like the school and the city. Cars are king here so there is plenty of automotive related work if you decide to stay after school. Alot of people must come here and like it my mom is from Detroit my dad from Lubbock, alot of my out of state friends from college stayed here after graduating. The city of Houston alone is expected to grow by 1 million people in the next 10 years and most people in this city live out of the city limits!! Unfortunately chevy is the overwhelming classic vehicle of choice; but there is a decent sized and devoted mopar following. If you do come down I live in Pearland which is just south of the city. So if you want to meet up I would love to see your chally.

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008 - 08:46:35 AM »
I was going to check with UTI in order to see about bringing our own cars in for a project. I am sure it should be ok, as that is what I am going to learn about. I added a picture of my car. Just bought it a couple months ago, have'nt done much to it yet. 360/904 with manual reverse valve body. 8 3/4 489 with 4.10 gear. Runs 8.60 in the 1/8, I think the time slips from previous owner said 12's in the 1/4 101.00mph
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008 - 08:52:56 AM by ramcharger44004 »
Chris, Ohio

Offline LoneStar Mopar

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008 - 08:50:42 AM »
Nice car!!  I dont know about UTI but my dad went to Wyotech and they got to work on their own cars. Actually I didnt even know Houston had a UTI. Where in the heck is it?

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008 - 08:55:34 AM »
 :clueless: I will look it up real quick. Is there a Whyotech campus there to, I would check into that also. I am not dead set on UTI, I am checking my options.
Chris, Ohio