Author Topic: For The Non Believers - "Aliens"  (Read 15081 times)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Re: For The Non Believers - "Aliens"
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2008 - 03:25:06 PM »
jeryst,
Read my comments again...absurd?.  I did not say life does not exist elsewhere.  I said there is no real evidence showing there is.  We have been looking for evidence of other life for decades and have come up empty.  That isn't saying THERE IS NO LIFE OUT THERE.  THIS thread began with the idea that anyone who says we are alone is naive.  And that statistically because of the endlessness of space there MUST be life elsewhere.  Sorry that is not evidence.  AS OF THE MOMENT WE ARE ALONE.

No, we THINK we are alone.

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2008 - 11:19:01 PM »
jerst  :i agree: however my personal feeling is that it is extremely arrogant to believe this is the only planet with life on it.may not be human or humanoid.might be reptilian or giant bugs.who knows?just because its not mentioned in (THE BOOK) doesn't mean it's not possible.besides those writings applied to this planet and the people on it.the people of that time would not come close to comprehending that information.you know.....the world is flat,if you sail too far out you will fall off. :2cents:

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2008 - 08:06:26 AM »
Carl,

The other possibility that it seems no one ever comes up with is that of time scale.  Sure the universe is so vast that any sentient life is probably so far from us that our paths will never cross.  But what if in the billions or trillions of years that the universe has existed, a sentient race did come along right next door ?  Chances are that they came and went long before we did, or will come along well after we are gone.  The earth's been around for 4,500 million years or so, man only around 11,600 years ( at least in a civilization an alien would be able to contact ).  To me, contact seems pretty unlikely.

P.G.

I must have been talking to myself when I said more or less the same thing earlier. ::) ;D
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2008 - 08:19:06 AM »
Roppa440,

Guess I was wrong when I said no one comes up with timing. Oops!  I hadn't read your post yet, but you definately hit it on the head.  I still think that the nearest possible planet that could support life is too far away for them to come for a visit.

:cheers:

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2008 - 04:29:38 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if Men in Black had it right - we're all just sitting in a fish tank on someone's desk, ya know?

I hope I'm alive when we discover life beyond our tiny little planet.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2008 - 04:41:15 PM »

I hope I'm alive when we discover life beyond our tiny little planet.

Don't you watch TV?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2008 - 07:56:19 PM »
Don't you watch TV?

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: You idiot! :icon16: We all know that's fake! THIS is real! :lol:

Ps: Sorry Roppa, good point, you and Keith are correct IMO.  ;)
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2008 - 08:09:23 PM »
Good one, Carl.

Re: the subject of finding life, I think the toughest part is going to be defining life itself. We have a definition that covers most (but not all) of what we've encountered on Earth, based on Earth chemistry, etc. Consider:

1) Is a virus alive? No one agrees on this.
2) Everything on Earth that's called "life" is carbon-based. Would we call if life if we discovered something that was, say, silicon-based? Would we even recognize it?
3) If you look at the definition of life, the Earth itself fills the bill for most of the items on the list. Is the Earth alive?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2008 - 08:21:59 PM »

Good points HK. I guess for the most part it comes down to scientists. We could use your theory on a lot of things, the common "what if" is usually answered and silenced by good old common sense. When we find life I think we'll know it. But who knows what that maybe be, humans only know so much, there are probably thousands and thousands of other matters out there we know nothing about. People in remote African and Amazon villages only know of fresh water and fresh milk, doesn't mean other liquids they'd never heard of (Soda, beer, juice, spirits, etc) don't exist, they've never been introduced to them is all. Life to me is anything that breaths, eats, moves and communicates. This also covers in their own weird and perhaps unusual styles. We breath air, they could snort some gooey substance or breath sulfuric acid, still a means of breathing to stay alive. Life could be magnifying or telescope sized creatures to 500ft beings, who knows. Sad thing is I doubt they'll find anything in our life time or lifetimes to come for some time.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2008 - 03:51:24 AM »
Roppa440,

Guess I was wrong when I said no one comes up with timing. Oops!  I hadn't read your post yet, but you definately hit it on the head.  I still think that the nearest possible planet that could support life is too far away for them to come for a visit.

:cheers:

P.G.

;) :cheers:
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited