Author Topic: Chilly Challenger painted - need more help!!!  (Read 53281 times)

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

Re: FINALLY - got the Chilly-Challenger painted!
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008 - 11:57:46 PM »
COOL COOL COOL

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008 - 04:41:05 AM »
Looking very nice!  Can't wait to see the finished product!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2008 - 09:24:58 AM »

Looking real nice mate. I would leave the vinyl top off. White is (IMO) a bad color for vinyl tops as it's too much of a contrast and completely "cuts" the car in half. Some cars can pull off the vinyl top nicely, others not so. :2cents:

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
Short Update - Chilly Challenger
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2008 - 09:40:46 AM »
Hey guys - thought I'd post a couple pics I shot this weekend. As the days get shorter and it's getting dark earlier, I shot a couple pics after a few more hours of color sanding. Although it doesn't look like much has changed since last installment, I've put many hours into sanding and buffing, now re-sanding to get the last bit of orange peel, etc out. Funny the things you realize after the fact - the trunk floor is as nice as the top side after MANY hours of work and when I was test-fitting the trunk mat I notice few - if anyone, will ever see it!! Oh well, those are the things you do for yourself...right?
As well, I've put hours into the mill, setting up oil and water sensors for the tester, putting on hoses with those OE clamps and adding all the carb linkages. Of course I still have to adjust it all...and ANY SUGGESTIONS/TIPS ARE APPRECIATED! (post here or on seperate thread I started). Although I like the look of the OE exhaust manny, I was looking at the pipes I bought (2.5") and see they are "header-back"...so that's another reason to buy a set of headers. Anyone know if  there's one set that fits beter than another?
While this isn't the same caliber as some of your rides, I am trying to get it to look as nice as I can!! Thanks for looking.

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2008 - 12:00:39 PM »
Looking good! Your almost there! :2thumbs:
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2008 - 03:21:35 PM »
Close your eyes and hand TTI your wallet. Im telling you, you won't regret it. I just bought a small block set. Tom runs Dougs Headers and likes them. I have hooker until i get off my arse and install my TTI's and I hate the fact that the drag link runs through the tubes....  :bigshades:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008 - 03:11:44 AM »
beautiful work

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2008 - 12:55:06 AM »
Where do you buy BF Goodrich Radial TA's with the raised whites?? I can't find them anywhere up here in Central Canada. Any decent on-line sources ??(other than COkers!)

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2008 - 10:05:25 PM »
Hey guys - Next big items I need some help on are the dash and re-surafacing and painting the door and trim panels. Any help is appreciated!

Are there any good sources for redoing cracked dashed and/or installing dash caps? I got a Dash cap from YearOne and saw an article a while back on doing it, but can't find it now. I'm guessing I'll need to fix the original dash as good as possible first.  To reglue it to the metal base first, somehow level the cracks and fill with something? What would you fill that with? Is there some spray foam available that would harden and you could shape? As well, how best to get the edges to blend like they match?

Second - the door panels. In the YearOne book it says to check if the plastic is PVC or something else. Does that matter for spraying the surfacer and paint on - or just for fixing cracks? What's the best way to fix a crack in those plastic door panels?

Thanks!

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
Re: Chilly Challenger painted - need more help!!!
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2008 - 10:20:12 AM »
 :feedback:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2008 - 12:53:34 PM »
e-tek,

My advice for question #1 is to make a post on the "interior" board. We have had several discussions about dash's. A few here have used dashcaps, so maybe they will se your question there and help you.

I'm almost certain your door panels are ABS plastic. I remember doing some stupid test with a match to see if it would burn.   :grinyes: This doesn't matter as far as re-dying. I can't help you with fixing cracks. Sorry.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2008 - 10:43:02 PM »
Finally getting to the fun part of putting it all back together! I was polishing up the paint Saturday - which gives you time to think - and I realized there was no point doing the final polish on it until I get a lot more done, due to the very real possibility of overspray getting all over it. So I got busy on the interior, installing the wiring, removing the last bits of trim around the steering column, the steering wheel and heater controls, then painting and cleaning it all up. Can't wait 'til next weekend when I'll get to the dash and carpet!

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2008 - 10:55:11 PM »
Hey guys - Next big items I need some help on are the dash and re-surafacing and painting the door and trim panels. Any help is appreciated!

Are there any good sources for redoing cracked dashed and/or installing dash caps? I got a Dash cap from YearOne and saw an article a while back on doing it, but can't find it now. I'm guessing I'll need to fix the original dash as good as possible first.  To reglue it to the metal base first, somehow level the cracks and fill with something? What would you fill that with? Is there some spray foam available that would harden and you could shape? As well, how best to get the edges to blend like they match?

Second - the door panels. In the YearOne book it says to check if the plastic is PVC or something else. Does that matter for spraying the surfacer and paint on - or just for fixing cracks? What's the best way to fix a crack in those plastic door panels?

Thanks!
Check with your local paint supplier and look at their SEM products or Fuzor. You will need to shave the high spots down on the cracks and remove any loose material before adding filler to the old pad before adding the cap. I don't have any experiance doing it but saw several write up's on it.
The door panels can be glued from the back side if no pieces are missing. I have no idea how you would get the texture if you needed to though.
Try to find a product called Gorrila glue, it works well on plastics.
Dave

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2008 - 08:44:33 PM »
Thanks Farmboy - I'll be buying what I need for the dashcap job tomorrow and will work on this weekend.

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
Chilly Challenger painted & GOING TOGETHER!!!
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2008 - 09:02:27 PM »
Been doing lots of the samll stuff - since I've had some BAD LUCK with Year One and their suppliers. Last month I opened the upholstery boxes (sourced by YO from PUI) and found the front covers didn't have the upper pulls sewn on, or a fold for the lower rods...then two weeks ago I find the carpet set, (sourced from ACM), was boxed wrong. Ordered another, which I opened today to find the #$%^& Heel PAd was attached the wrong way!! IT is 90degrees out...

Oh well...in the interest of keeping your interest......here's a shot of the wife working on another project!!!  :wow: