Chilly Challenger painted - need more help!!!

Author Topic: Chilly Challenger painted - need more help!!!  (Read 53269 times)

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
Re: Chilly Challenger
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2008 - 09:15:37 PM »
Started removing the decayed texture on the door panels in order to retexture amd paint. Amzaing how this stuff deteriorated over time and practically falls off....sanded it with 120, then 320 to get the crusty stuff off.

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
Re: Chilly Challenger painted - need more help!!!
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2008 - 09:24:02 PM »
Also installed the "cadmium painted" booster and started on the headliner. I left the headliner hanging because I'm psyching myself up to do the job...I saw a headliner job in MoparAction Online and it looked TERRIBLE !!! (google it!) It's all wrinkled and looks like sh!t!! One from HotRod is much nicer, but they didn't use glue in that one....yikes!

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2008 - 10:04:54 PM »
Man, you're the first person I've seen that sanded down your door panels.  What do you plan on using to redo the texture?  Your car is looking great, though!

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2008 - 10:58:58 PM »
Man, you're the first person I've seen that sanded down your door panels.  What do you plan on using to redo the texture?  Your car is looking great, though!

I was hoping someone wouldn't say that!! :)  The texture on them was just flaking off though, so had to do it. SEM sells a texture spray to mimick interior texture. I'll be using that and hoping it lays down similar to the original stuff.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2008 - 11:53:41 PM »
Also installed the "cadmium painted" booster and started on the headliner. I left the headliner hanging because I'm psyching myself up to do the job...I saw a headliner job in MoparAction Online and it looked TERRIBLE !!! (google it!) It's all wrinkled and looks like sh!t!! One from HotRod is much nicer, but they didn't use glue in that one....yikes!

The booster looks really good in place and it does have that cadmium look to it all mounted up :2thumbs: great going....
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2008 - 07:35:44 AM »
man thats looking good
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2008 - 08:48:54 AM »
I will be watching the re-texture part with major interest. I have a set of white door panels but they are all chalky as all get out. I painted them with a plastic paint but since it was already brittle parts of the grain had flaked off and it made the panels look mucho fugly. If they can be sanded and retextured then maybe I dont have to buy a new set after all. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2008 - 06:18:45 AM »
Here's a shot of my white '73 with black vinyl top and black '71 stripes:

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline bordin34

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2008 - 04:28:33 PM »
For the texture, I remember some member on this site with a white convertible '71 Challenger used tissue paper and some solvent to help texturify it.
Edit- I found it look at reply #85
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=40611.75
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008 - 04:35:30 PM by bordin34 »

1973 Charger SE Brougham Black 400 auto
1974 Charger SE Brougham Blue 318 auto-SOLD

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2008 - 11:21:30 PM »
OK guys - the texturing and painting has been done - pics tomorrow!!
For now, I'll let you know - the SEM texture is SH!T. It laid down like flat back paint. And that's the other crappy thing - ALL the texture I could find comes in black - it says "paintable" so you'd think it'd be off-white - or anything but black....It took 4 cans of SEM white to completely cover. And now I have to be worried about scratches that will show black under. I tried to source not-black texture of any kind, but no luck. There's a white BedLiner texture spray, but it has silica sand in it which is like non-slip tape!
Anyways, the better texture is called Sure Text - of course black as well, but much better texture.
The key of course is extremely careful and fine prep work. In a couple spots that I didn't transition (feather) the texture perfectly (becuase I thought the new texture would hide it) I had to redo it. The textures don't match exactly, but in total I spent about $120.00 on materials (4 white SEM = 60.00, 2 cans texture = 30.00, prep spray - 13.00, towels, etc....) vs. $450.00 for new panels. I guess if it was a 70-71 or a lifelong keeper I'd go new, but for a 318 - 74.... Let's just say, we'll see how they wear.
Cheer - and Happy New Years!

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2009 - 08:21:44 AM »
wouldn`t it be an option to glue vinyl  (or leather ) on the panel?  :clueless:  I don`t know if anyone did this, but it crossed my mind since I`m not really impressed with the looks of the stock door panels.  It`s available in all kinds of colors, textures and thickness...
*** Bart ***

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2009 - 01:59:13 PM »
wouldn`t it be an option to glue vinyl  (or leather ) on the panel?  :clueless:  I don`t know if anyone did this, but it crossed my mind since I`m not really impressed with the looks of the stock door panels.  It`s available in all kinds of colors, textures and thickness...

Yep -that's one option - if you're not going for the stock look. Which I was.....but with texturing it out of a spray can, it doesn't exaclty look stock now anyways.... Read on -

These are the two textures I tried. SEM (ordered from Eastwood) is supposedly the industry leader and what I recall using in the bodyshops I worked in. Unfortunatley, the texture laid down like flat black. Back to my local shop suplier, I got "Sure Tex" and it actally textured. Still not enough to hide any non-perfect prep work, but decent.

As I said previously, it took near 4 cans of SEM white to cover the black texture spray. Why in hell they don't make a white texture is beyond me. I guess most texturing is done on black dashed, consoles and the like....

The console - of course - turned out much better. You may not believe, it, but I had to repair 6 holes on the front end (done with epoxy) from someone having installed a radio or CB like item on it, plus a piece the was broken off and missing on the rear portion closest to you (done with filler).

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009 - 02:22:11 PM by e-tek »

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2009 - 02:55:08 PM »
I then went ahead with the upholstery since I FINALLY had covers with all the parts attached. If you missed that part, the PUI covers I originally got form YearOne where missing pulls at the top back and very bottom of the the seat backs. TWO replacements where the same, meaning PUI is making these seat covers inorrectly and maybe hoping the customer takes them to an upholsterer who would repair them for installation. I do all my own installation, but wasn't about to sew pulls on...so I sent photos of the original covers, and PUI's covers, to them so they could fix up a set for me. They did so, which was OK, but I don't know who else is having this problem....

The seat back turned out OK, especially once the foam expands again and the cover settles into he pulls.

As for the seat bottoms - as you can see, the originals where well worn!

I used a space heater to soften the material, especially for where you have to stretch it over the latch pins...

Getting ahead of myself, I tossed the finished bottom cushion into the car with it's new carpet and finished dash.

Might have the interior finished this weekend at this rate...then I'll do a final polish of the exterior and start intalling the exterior components. I'm waiting for a test stand run-up prior to installing the engine - and for that I need some 2.5inch exhaust manifold connectors...which I'll be tryng to make myself...so it may take a while!!

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2009 - 03:19:28 PM »
Great Job e-tek, I didnt read everything, i like pictures  :icon16: Did you use a set of hogring pliers? they worked great for me. Seats arent too hard but they can be a pain. THe console texture looks pretty darn good as well!!  :2thumbs:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2009 - 04:29:44 PM »
 :iagree:  the console looks great
*** Bart ***