Author Topic: Chilly Challenger painted - need more help!!!  (Read 53799 times)

Offline A110235

• '71 Challenger JH23G1B
Re: Chilly Challenger painted - need more help!!!
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2009 - 09:37:34 PM »
Man this is a great thread!  I like how your door panels and console turned out.  Keep up the good work!

Kyle

Nashville, TN         Member since October 09, 2004

Offline larry4406

« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2009 - 07:01:14 AM »
E-tek - nice work!  When time permits, show us the completed door panels in white.  My original white panels did the same thing, chalked like yours, so I scrounged up black for a color change.  26 years later and car is still not restored, someday soon.

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2009 - 03:46:05 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys - much appreciated. I'm having trouble getting the headliner and seats as tight as I want and I don't want to F them up! As I said, I saw a headliner done in MoparAction that looked like SH1T - all wrinkled like. I want mine to look right. Hopefully I won't have to call an upholsterer!!

I'll post up some closer pics of the door panels. I'm gonna respray them an off-white as I think the White I used is TOO White...the headliner, etc is a little more yellow/off white. So far so good with the carpet, dash and console though.

Cheers.

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2009 - 03:52:37 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys - much appreciated. I'm having trouble getting the headliner and seats as tight as I want and I don't want to F them up! As I said, I saw a headliner done in MoparAction that looked like SH1T - all wrinkled like. I want mine to look right. Hopefully I won't have to call an upholsterer!!

I'll post up some closer pics of the door panels. I'm gonna respray them an off-white as I think the White I used is TOO White...the headliner, etc is a little more yellow/off white. So far so good with the carpet, dash and console though.

Cheers.
I think they said it would take a few days in the heat to get the wrinkles out.
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2009 - 09:27:14 PM »
I think they said it would take a few days in the heat to get the wrinkles out.

I know they said that would be the case and I hope it is, but I've seen many jobs come out of the 'actual' upholsterers and have never seen one come out like that!  :)

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2009 - 09:53:19 PM »
Most of the time when there is a wrinkle or two I've seen them removed using a steamer. The wrinkles will relax eventualy on there own but it may take a long time and a real hot day to do it.
Better to take your time ,follow the instructions and keep pulling a little at a time untill thier gone.
Dave

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2009 - 01:05:43 AM »
great idea on the panels and they look great. I wish I would have found this thread before I threw away my panels  :banghead:

Offline kmyles

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2009 - 11:47:27 AM »
 Can't wait to see the finished door panels!! Keep us posted! :cheers:
 :popcorn:
_________
Kevin

Mopar Lover....Cuda's....Challengers Rule!!!!
- 1951 Dodge - 2 door hardtop (Sold!!)
- 1971 Dodge Challenger
- 2012 Dodge Challenger Yellowjacket

Hard to believe what 20 years will do!!!!

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2009 - 06:26:31 PM »
Can't wait to see the finished door panels!! Keep us posted! :cheers:

I'll keep you updated - if you show us a bigger picture of your AVATAR!!!!

Offline kmyles

« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2009 - 06:37:44 PM »
I'll keep you updated - if you show us a bigger picture of your AVATAR!!!!

This is the largest pic I have. Can't remeber where I got it :clueless:

Now will you keep us posted. I'm doing a 71 challey with a white interior as well  :2thumbs:
 :working:
_________
Kevin

- 1971 Dodge Challenger

Offline vryfast

• WORK IN PROGRESS
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2009 - 08:23:34 PM »
I wonder what size that "set" of tires are        :droolingbounce:

This is the largest pic I have. Can't remeber where I got it :clueless:

Now will you keep us posted. I'm doing a 71 challey with a white interior as well  :2thumbs:
 :working:

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2009 - 08:38:04 PM »
Awesome!!!
Yes, I'll keep you posted. It's getting interesting too - today I bought "premium carpet underlay, to use as an "over-foam" on the original seat bucks. I trail fit all the seat covers and they fit like SH1T! Upholstery shops normally add foam to everything ciase the origianl stuff shrinks and looses loft over time, esp. in the sun. I'll  be glueing and shaping this foam tomorrow, then re-installing the upholstey next weekend.
Today I set the front and back of the headliner - pulled out the wrinkles and put on the mounldings on. Once th glue dries I can pull the sides and get those mldgs on too.
As for the door panels, I bought a "less white" white, taht is much 'yellower" and closer to the headliner and origianl panels. I'll be resrpaying those too this week.
I'll post pics tomorrow.
 :drunk:

Offline e-tek

• E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2009 - 10:55:12 PM »
I can't recall if I included in this thread all the problems I had with the PUI upholstery I ordered through YearOne, but what happened was as I was installing the fronts I noticed the covers where missing crucial parts called pulls, that allow you to hook the inner portions into the foam bucks so they are pulled taught. I had to send photo's of the originals and call PUI to get them to add the pulls seperately so they would match the OEM parts. Obviously they have been selling these covers without the right parts attached!! For my troubles PUI send me a new set, properly sewn, and YearOne gave me a big fat credit.  :-\

Par for the course, I was installing the rear covers last weekend only to find that they were also sewn with errors.  :stomp: This time they weren't missing pull (there aren't any on the rears) but they were obviously "rushed" or "pushed" though the machine and missed Quality Control altogther. As you can see from the photos, the bottoms are puckered and the seat back corner stitches don't even meet the corners. Unbeleivable. So after ANOTHER wasted install, I have contacted YEar One again to get them repalced. By the time I actually get a good set and get them installed, I'll have enough credit to build another car!  :pullinghair:

On the bright side, I resprayed the door and quarter panels with a different White, which is a MUCH closer match to the original white. It has a lot more yellow in it than the initial white I used.

As well, I used WD-40 to remove all the glue from the woodgrain decal on the console plate. Came out clean as a ......

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2009 - 08:22:02 AM »
The panels look great! sorry to hear about your trouble, at least they're fixing it for you....  :swaying:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline kmyles

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2009 - 11:22:02 AM »
What was the brand that you went with for coloring your panels? :clueless: And what was the colr name? They look great, I want to get some of the same and paint my panels as well. :2thumbs:
_________
Kevin

- 1971 Dodge Challenger