Author Topic: Had a little fun with Leaf Springs (Lots of Pics)  (Read 8131 times)

Offline Ford.P51

Had a little fun with Leaf Springs (Lots of Pics)
« on: September 08, 2008 - 09:49:58 AM »
Hello all,

I thought I'd share our experiences with leaf springs from the past two weeks. We bought our 72 Challenger about a month ago. The guy I bought it from said "the front leaf spring shackle is busted". At the time I figured he just didn't know what he was talking about  :screwy:, it looked like the bushing was missing from the leaf spring eye when I got down on the ground and looked at it. You can imagine my suprise when I got the car home and went to install a new bushing when I discovered that most of the spring eye was missing entirely.

So I broke out the catalogs, did some web surfing, and ordered the Mopar Heavy Duty springs from Summit Racing. They arrived in a couple of days and I installed them. I hear y'all are pic whores ;D, so here's some pics of the broken passenger leaf spring compared to the Mopar passenger side spring:

The install was pretty straight forward, the only trouble I had was that I had to cut off the u-bolts on the axel. I dropped the car to the ground after the install and one of the rear tires was just barely touching the fender lip. (Sorry no pic) If I recall correctly the tires are 255 70R15, but the backspacing of the wheels are incorrect and push the wheels out to the outside of the fender lip.  :-[

So I removed the Mopar leafs and called Summit Racing - they agreed to take them back even though they had been installed. Since I hadn't actually driven on them they were OK with the return. I'll be buying more stuff from them just because of this kind of service. Anyhow, after searching this section of the forum, I ordered ESPO+2 leaf springs. Here's a pic showing the right side Mopar HD vs the ESPO +2 leaf springs:

You can really see the difference in the arch of the ESPO springs. Installed you can still see that arch:

At first I thought they were waaaaaay too high. The springs have been on the car about a week now and seem to have settled about an inch from the initial ride height. Alot of that was during the first drive. Here's a pic of the wheel well with the new springs on:

The ride height is a little higher than I'd like, but since it'll be a while until we put new wheels and tires on (lots of stuff to fix before this), this setup will allow us to drive the car. When we get our new wheels we may install a lowering block to get the ride height where we want it (if needed).

The new springs let me remove the air shocks that were on the car when purchased. The ride is definately improved over the old springs and air shocks. The previous owner said the air shocks were brand new, so if anyone wants them for cheap they are available.

Thats all I can think of for now. Later!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008 - 09:57:20 AM by Ford.P51 »
1969 Ford Mustang Mach1
1972 Challenger

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: Had a little fun with Leaf Springs (Lots of Pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008 - 11:30:19 AM »
There's something you don't see everyday  :bigsmile:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008 - 12:16:30 PM »
I did a Dodge 4x4 truck last week that was excatly the same the spring had broken the main leaf

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008 - 12:52:03 PM »
My father-in-law had a similar problem with a set of MP Extra Heavy Duty springs for his 66 Satellite.  The things were junk.  When they put the car back down the thing sat lower than it did with the original standard 40 year old leaf springs.  He couldn't even drive the car because the tires rubbed.  He ended up pulling them back off and having a local shop rebuild the originals off the main leaf, and it is 10 times better.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008 - 01:31:47 PM »
HP2 is of the opinion that most of these cars came from the factory with saggy butts, and I'm not certain he's wrong. If that's true, when you get "stock" arched springs, the car will sit low in the back.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Ford.P51

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008 - 02:56:53 PM »
My father-in-law had a similar problem with a set of MP Extra Heavy Duty springs for his 66 Satellite.  The things were junk.  When they put the car back down the thing sat lower than it did with the original standard 40 year old leaf springs.  He couldn't even drive the car because the tires rubbed.  He ended up pulling them back off and having a local shop rebuild the originals off the main leaf, and it is 10 times better.

I did search on the Mopar HD springs after I installed them and turned up a bunch of stories just like yours. Many on this site. They are advertised to be stock ride height, but ride lower than the 40 year old springs. I'm just happy Summit took them back, cost me $50 in shipping though.
1969 Ford Mustang Mach1
1972 Challenger

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008 - 03:08:19 PM »
I'm glad you went with Espo. I did, and am so happy with them. You really had no choice but to hacksaw the old U-Bolts off. You really shouldn't re-use them anyway. Just for yucks, here are some promo photos from 1969 of the new Challenger. You can tell even back when new, these cars sagged a tad. Keep in mind, we are probably looking at 14" tires here.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Ford.P51

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008 - 08:21:37 AM »
I'm glad you went with Espo. I did, and am so happy with them. You really had no choice but to hacksaw the old U-Bolts off. You really shouldn't re-use them anyway. Just for yucks, here are some promo photos from 1969 of the new Challenger. You can tell even back when new, these cars sagged a tad. Keep in mind, we are probably looking at 14" tires here.

Mike

I think your setup as the one that convinced me to go with the ESPO springs. You've got a beautiful ride there.  :thumbsup:
1969 Ford Mustang Mach1
1972 Challenger

Offline xblade

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008 - 10:54:02 PM »
Id like to see a pic of the whole car w/new springs.

Offline Ford.P51

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008 - 08:29:25 AM »
Here you go! Not the best pic, but its all I've got at the moment

1969 Ford Mustang Mach1
1972 Challenger

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008 - 08:49:16 AM »
I love to see pictures of the side of peoples cars with Espo+2, Espo+1 and MP HD's for comparison.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline xblade

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008 - 06:25:36 PM »
I love to see pictures of the side of peoples cars with Espo+2, Espo+1 and MP HD's for comparison.
Id like to see that. I'll need some soon.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008 - 06:58:19 PM »
Here's my before and after with 30 year old stock and new Espo.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline xblade

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008 - 07:41:43 PM »
Here's my before and after with 30 year old stock and new Espo.

sits nice, what are they..+1, +2 ?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008 - 08:00:14 PM »
Good excuse to get a bigger wheel/tire combo

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!